Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+18
farmersgranddaughter
BlackjackWidow
Scorpio Rising
Yardslave
sanderson
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
Nakajimaa
yolos
AtlantaMarie
No_Such_Reality
Robbomb116
Mellen
has55
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Turan
22 posters

Page 3 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 22  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  yolos 6/9/2017, 3:58 am

Congratulations on growing some nice looking Tomatoes this year.  Lets all hold our breath to make sure they continue to remain disease free.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  countrynaturals 6/9/2017, 11:20 am

sanderson wrote:Thanks, folks.  I am so hopeful, but there are still 3 brutal months ahead. tongue
I'm right there with you, Sanderson. Everything looks so good right now, but those triple-digits are looming. affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/9/2017, 2:34 pm

yolos wrote:Congratulations on growing some nice looking Tomatoes this year.  Lets all hold our breath to make sure they continue to remain disease free.
Thanks, Yolos. The big plan is to can enough for 2 winters, as I can't count on next summer. My canned tomatoes and frozen sauce from 2015 were outstanding.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/15/2017, 3:12 am

Heat Wave coming! Sunday through next Friday 105-110*F expected. Get those shade cloths up!

I have about 200 tomatoes set, both cherry types and indeterminates. A lot of cherry-sized peppers and a couple of eggplants have set. I don't expect any more setting until the temps get back down closer to 90*F. For the next days/weeks, it will just be a struggle for the plants to survive. tongue Bush Blue Lake are producing nicely but they are hard to see. Muncher cucumbers are producing nicely without any help from me. A lot of female flowers appearing on the cantaloupes and winter squash. No flowering males on the winter squash so the females are just "withering on the vine." Oh, the poppy seed poppies are blooming. The flowers are white for this variety so if I want color next summer, I will have to get a variety knowm for it's flowers, and not the bakery seeds. That's all for now. If I take any photos, I'll post them later.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/15/2017, 11:50 am

Sounds VERY successful in your little garden this year, Sanderson!  Lots going on very quickly. Looking forward to the photos.
What a Face
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/16/2017, 8:53 pm

Today is 99*F, the last "cool" day before we enter the 100's for at least 9 days.  pale

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Cartoo11

Tomato - Snow Fairy.  This would be a great one for containers and winter green house.  The photo was taken facing west into the setting sun with Home Depot shade cloth as the back drop.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Tomato24

Tomato - sun gold.  I have this one in a 2' x 3' table top with one Roma and one Sweet 100.  In the last photo one can see that they are touching the overhead shade cloth.  Shocked  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Tomato23

Tomato Vernissage with several clusters. The Vernissage in the table top has an interesting "worm" that burrows into the tomato under the green leaf thingies (?) where it attaches to its stem. Not green, but yellowish. I have seen the white butterfly around but her caterpillars are green. thinking California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Tomato25

Two photos of Muncher cucumbers.  I never installed the middle trellis for the box but maybe being crowded has turn out for the best as there are more cucumbers in these photos than I have had for a whole season some years. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Cucumb14

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Cucumb15

Shade cloth off the back patio.  No, I still haven't cleaned the isle and spread weed fabric and wood chips. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Shade_14

Winter squash and one watermelon now under mid-day shade cloth.  The little watermelon has its first flower.  Note:  Direct seedling late has been paying off!  So far, no powdery mildew. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Winter34

Lastly, the 1' x 50' dirt strip that I amended over the last 2 years is really paying off.  I call this first one "tomato jungle" as I can't walk through the 9 tomatoes on the left and the 5 tomatoes in buckets on the right. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Tomato26

Photo of jungle from the other side.  I'm standing 6" higher than the jungle's elevation so you can see all the way down to the corn. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Tomato27

Corn, sorghum, okra and sunflower row.  Some of the corn is peeping over the fence so it is shy of 5 feet tall. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Corn_s10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/16/2017, 10:55 pm

sanderson wrote:Today is 99*F, the last "cool" day before we enter the 100's for at least 9 days.  pale

Tomato Vernissage with several clusters.  The Vernissage in the table top has an interesting "worm" that burrows into the tomato under the green leaf thingies (?) where it attaches to its stem.  Not green, but yellowish.  I have seen the white butterfly around but her caterpillars are green.  thinking 
Yikes! That's too hot for me.

I think the green part is called the calyx. Maybe tomato fruitworm?:
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/IPM/english/tomatoes/insects/tomato-fruitworm.html
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/17/2017, 2:50 am

I think you may have identified the culprit. Thanks

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/18/2017, 3:44 pm

I went outside this morning at 8:30 and installed 2 more smaller shade cloths.  I was dripping after just a few moments. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Shade_15

Yesterday evening at sunset, I finally installed a shade cloth I worked on for 2 days, hemming by hand and making holes for tie downs.  It is over the cantaloupe and New Zealand spinach beds. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Shade_16

I hand pollinated this Canadian Crookneck butternut yesterday morning, and I believe it was a take.  Thank goodness there were 2 male flowers at their peak. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Winter35

Lastly, the crepe Myrtle is blooming profusely, I believe from all the rain we had this spring. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Crepe_10

Stay cool everyone.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/19/2017, 10:32 pm

Sanderson, everything looks great. Impressive. Great imagination.

Have you considered using snap clamps for fastening the shade cloth to the PVC?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/20/2017, 11:47 am

What are we doing? Sweating, panting, guzzling fluids, turning the hose on ourselves, hiding in the a/c, worrying about blackouts if we overload the system, hovering over plants that might suffer in this heat, watering down the chicken coop at bedtime to help make things bearable for our feathered friends, dreading our next water bill (this one already broke $100), and watching the weather reports as we shatter the previous heat records every day -- Thursday it could reach 114 here. affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/30/2017, 2:46 am

Finally below 100 here, well, at least until July 6. Wink I finally got some straw mulch down in 5 beds,4 more to go.  You can see it here where this wonderful 4' tall Japanese Millionaire eggplant is thriving.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Eggpla10

Two nice cantaloupes from the single surviving start.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Cantel10

Twp baby cantaloupes from direct sowed seeds.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Cantel11
The potatoes have been eaten by something.  I recently sprinkled some Sluggo Plus to see if it was slugs.  This bed is on the hot side on the house and gets neglected more than loved, so it's my fault. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Potato10

I washed, trimmed and froze a short gallon of various tomatoes for future sauce.  When I get a good flush of some of the larger tomatoes, I'll prep them for canning.  I don't mind a few Sun Gold but I want more of the reds for canning.  Romas. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Tomato12
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Tomato13

The pole Blue Lakes are toast and I will pull them.  Likewise the bush Blue Lakes are dying.  I don't know what is eating the leaves. Maybe spider mites?? Spider mites take over when it gets over 100*F. I picked all the beans and pulled them tonight.  If Yolos gives the go ahead, I will amend and replant again tomorrow. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Bean_p11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/30/2017, 9:38 am

sanderson wrote:
The pole Blue Lakes are toast and I will pull them.  Likewise the bush Blue Lakes are dying.  I don't know what is eating the leaves.  Maybe spider mites??  Spider mites take over when it gets over 100*F.  I picked all the beans and pulled them tonight.  If Yolos gives the go ahead, I will amend and replant again tomorrow. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Bean_p11
Ha, I don't know.  My policy is to never plant a succession in the same bed.  Especially if you have a disease or something like spider mites.  (Looks like sprider mites and something larger).  But I do have more square feet than you do.  Also, for the first time I planted a second planting of corn in the same bed but there were no disease or insect pressures to worry about.

PS - your eggplant is gorgeous.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/30/2017, 11:01 am

it looks like leaf miners and flea beetles. 

LEAFMINER

images of leaf miners damage

flea beetle

images of flea beetles damage

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/30/2017, 11:11 am

Here, everything is alive and well, but not growing or producing. It all looks exactly like it did 2 weeks ago. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/30/2017, 12:30 pm

Yay on your tomatoes, Sanderson! When I canned them in the past I loved the flavor of mixing varieties.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/30/2017, 12:50 pm

Looks like there are lots of good things growing in your garden, Sanderson.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/30/2017, 2:00 pm

those cantaloupes look impressive. loved the look on the tomatoes.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/1/2017, 1:58 am

Thanks, folks. Still chopping straw for the tumbler composter. But, the big event of the day was locating and putting a baby mocking bird back in its nest. Mom and Dad built the nest in a climbing rose bush, which was pretty smart. They hardly tolerate me, keeping watch and feeding the babies when I turn my back. Today, they were in a tizzy all day long. I got to thinking that a rogue MB attacked the nest, maybe knocked the babies out. ?? Sure enough, just before we left home for the evening, I echo-located a baby 20 feet away. Baby screaming, parents squawking, I put the guy back in the nest. Tomorrow I'll look at the nest with a mirror and see if there are 2 babies.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/1/2017, 2:01 am

Has, Some of the damage did looked like flea beetle in your link

I never answered your prior question. I use binder clips instead of snap clamps.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/1/2017, 9:38 am

sanderson wrote:Has,  Some of the damage did looked like flea beetle in your link

I never answered your prior question.  I use binder clips instead of snap clamps.
do you have a picture of the binders clips you use?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/1/2017, 10:55 am

countrynaturals wrote:Here, everything is alive and well, but not growing or producing. It all looks exactly like it did 2 weeks ago. Sad
I wrote this after visiting the BTE, where I planted most of the summer crops. When I went to the Salad Bar, it was a whole different story. Kale, asparagus beans, carrots, and Swiss chard are doing great. This morning, something woke me up before the sun. I was outside as soon as it was light. It was great to have all the time I wanted before it got hot. I found a beautiful batch of compost, thanks to the chickens, and used it to top-dress the corn and tomatoes. I also got all my watering done, and checked on everything. Some of the passion fruit has turned bright orange and getting squishy. All of my late-started Armenian cukes have sprouted. 3 more strawberries are starting to turn red (Time to put their "socks" on.) LIFE IS GOOD! sunny
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/9/2017, 12:42 pm

Sorghum is up and happy (direct sow BTE). Cowpeas have sprouted (Jiffy Pellets on the deck). They'll go into the Salad Bar in a couple of days (large containers). 

I couldn't find sweet potato slips, so I put a whole sweet potato in a cup of water. It grew roots in just a couple of days. I read that it should take about a month for it to produce slips I can plant. I know it's a little late, but could we still get some for Thanksgiving? bounce

Armenian cukes are up and happy, but also late, so we won't be eating those for a while.

I'm actually getting a few tomato blossoms, even through these continuing heatwaves (if they produce, I'll collect seeds from those hardy babies). 

None of my melons, squash, cukes, or zukes are producing any female flowers. I'm thinking it's a defense mechanism against the heat. They can't fight that and produce fruit at the same time. Hopefully I'll get a late crop and have the whole winter to research more heat-tolerant varieties of everything.

Kale is still happy. I'm planting more. (Curly dwarf). I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 7/9/2017, 4:21 pm

The heat wave we've experienced over the last few days is beginning to ease a bit, but the damage is evident in my scorched bean patch- all the new shoots have withered and also, the zucchini are drooping every afternoon, and slow to flower. The tomatoes aren't setting any fruit, but the fruit that has set seems to be doing OK. I'm hoping this summer I can keep up on the watering, because our water prices have jumped to the highest in the nation- (probably the Western Hemisphere too).
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/9/2017, 8:18 pm

Yardslave wrote: I'm hoping this summer I can keep up on the watering, because our water prices have jumped to the highest in the nation- (probably the Western Hemisphere too).
YIKES! Mulch! Mulch! Mulch! Mulch! I know our water bill will be at least double what we paid last year, but we don't have any other expensive habits, so we'll just call it "entertainment."  Razz

I actually have a tomato plant producing blossoms in this heat. Shocked I don't know the variety, but if it continues to thrive in this weather, I will definitely collect seeds for next year. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 22  Next