Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+18
farmersgranddaughter
BlackjackWidow
Scorpio Rising
Yardslave
sanderson
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
Nakajimaa
yolos
AtlantaMarie
No_Such_Reality
Robbomb116
Mellen
has55
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Turan
22 posters

Page 4 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 7/10/2017, 1:20 am

YS, Good to hear from you. I thought you were enjoying the 70s-80s. ?? You need to build a "pond" fed by your roof. Wink What is your water bill this summer?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  Yardslave 7/10/2017, 12:07 pm

I've reduced my usage to 70 percent of last year by pulling up some water-gulping ornamentals and have planted only 3 of 10 veggie beds. I also haven't watered 14 fruit trees since April and my bill last month was$170! August is usually much higher because I have to increase irrigation by as much as 30 percent to keep up with the hot weather.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2017, 10:32 am

Posting some photos that I took on July 7.  We are in another heat wave and some of the plants looked a little beaten, except for the peppers. The cucumbers, Muncher and now Pickling, look half dead but they are still producing. :-) Four nice looking cantaloupe hanging from the trellises.

These Pablamos have now been picked.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Pepper10

Here are 2 views of the amended dirt strip down the side of the house.  It was getting hard to squeeze down there.  Much of the corn fell over and was removed yesterday.  Sniff!  The okra, sorghum and sunflowers are doings fine. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Corn_r10

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Okra_r10

Sorghum tassel.  Corn and sorghum look so similar until they send up the tassels. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Sorghu10
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Sorghu11

Eggplant - Japanese Millionaire.  I picked 4 yesterday. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Eggpla12

Mortgage Lifter, first time trying them. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Tomato17

Sweet 100 from Audrey. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Tomato18

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 7/11/2017, 11:36 am

Nice crop, S
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/11/2017, 11:45 am

Ooo, nice, Sanderson. I will be following your progress on sorghum. I planted mine about a month after you did, so mine are nowhere near the tassel stage. Now I know what to look for. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2017, 12:48 pm

Has, This is what I use: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/308957/Office-Depot-Brand-Binder-Clips-Large/

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/11/2017, 2:10 pm

sanderson wrote:Has,  This is what I use:  http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/308957/Office-Depot-Brand-Binder-Clips-Large/
thank you. could you take a picture showing how you are using them? you seem satisfied with using them over snap clamps. I may need to change or incorporate them into my garden tool arsenal.
those peppers look beautiful. My cucumber looks dead, but perk up in the evening. can anyone share what going on? I thought they were a summer crop that can take the heat.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/11/2017, 4:50 pm

sanderson wrote:

Sweet 100 from Audrey. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Tomato18

Are you sure that's what they are?  or could they be Sungolds? I ask because I'm growing both this year and didn't expect the 100's to be orange. I need to be prepared so I'm not confused. hehe
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/11/2017, 5:24 pm

Sanderson-san, what do you use the sorghum for?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/11/2017, 5:32 pm

has55 wrote:
sanderson wrote:Has,  Some of the damage did looked like flea beetle in your link
Flea Beetles: the Shotgun Insects
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2017, 10:07 pm

CC,  They look similar, but Sweet 100 goes ahead and turns red.  I also have both growing.  I like the Sun Gold when they are almost orange but the Sweet 100 when they are still yellow.

Has-san, the sorghum is for fun.  It was either going to be sorghum or commercial hemp.  Razz  It, along with sunflowers, corn, and now the tomatoes, are visible from the sidewalk.  

Big binder clips to secure material to 1/2" PVC or EMC, or to weigh down material.  Little clips to secure rolled-up ends of fabric. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Winter10

For securing shade cloth to frames.   California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Shade_10

Also, to secure the large overhead shade cloth to para-cord.  The small ones (or maybe they are medium ones?) work fine for the shade cloth.  I use the big ones to hold 2 pieces together (pictured) or to prevent the shade cloth from slipping left or right. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Shade_11

For securing 4 mil plastic to frames.  I no longer use plastic except for the little green house or for hail or bad storms. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Winter11

Green house. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Hot_ho10

This message is brought is brought to you by Office Depot, purveyors of fine binder clips.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/12/2017, 2:14 pm

Sanderson: I use those binder clips, too. Very handy.

Found a thumb-sized fuzzy cantaloupe today -- doing the happy dance. smiles

Planted out 18 blackeyed pea plants in 2 huge containers in the Salad Bar. Now it's too hot, so I'm inside in the a/c. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 671790
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/12/2017, 6:19 pm

Here's praying for that little cantaloupe!

I don't want you to get jealous, but we are going to Pismo Beach For an overnighter. Very Happy Leaving Thurs morn, returning Friday eve. An escape from the heat! I am hoping to wear my heavy Pismo beach hoodie sweatshirt most of the time. Razz

For two morning, I have been in the garden near sunrise. I finally finished chopping up the hay for mulch. I cleaned the cantaloupe and cucumber beds of lower dead leaves and applied a thick layer of mulch.

The pole Blue Lake beans have been decimated by the dreaded red spider mite. Since the bird nest in the adjacent rose bush is empty, I can spray what ever I replant with soapy water or even Neem oil now. I hope to plant some beans (scarlet runners or southern beans?) in those 2 beds.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/12/2017, 7:17 pm

Sanderson wrote:For two morning, I have been in the garden near sunrise.

That's what I've been doing, too. For my evening watering, I put on my bathing suit and get into the hot tub first, ducking under to get my hair wet. Tonight I'm going to wear my new cooling towel, too. That cools me off enough to get done what I have to do. It's all still taking its toll. I'm feeling worse every day -- no energy. I really think it's the opposite of SADD. I can't remember what it stands for, but it's people who get lethargic in the winter when there's no sun.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 7/16/2017, 2:28 pm

sanderson wrote:For two morning, I have been in the garden near sunrise.  

A recent Facebook post (redacted to hide the names of the innocent  Laughing :

Cory: Too hot to weed
 (July 4 at 10:13am)

Mellen: It wasn't at 5:30 am.

Last edited by sanderson on 7/16/2017, 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Further redacting by Sanderson)
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 7/16/2017, 3:01 pm

Seasonal affective depression disorder.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/16/2017, 5:08 pm

Reverse SADD.  Pismo Beach with some fog.  Just wonderful to get away from the heat for a day.  The Pier is closed for repairs.  Evening. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Pismo_11

Morning.  The campground further on down was booked full.  The only ones in the water were fishermen in shorts and little kids chasing the tide, picking up shells, ignoring the cold. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Pismo_10

I love you I love you  Very clean family-owned restaurant.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Posmo_10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/22/2017, 11:51 am

Found another cucumber! cheers Don't remember where I posted it, but someone (Sanderson?) asked about the variety. Of all things, they're Burpless Bush (Burpee?). I would never have expected those to withstand the heat, but there you have it, ladies and gentlemen.  Rolling Eyes

Ooo, almost forgot -- got a tiny green pepper (CA) starting and 5 baby cantaloupes (Hale's). I also have one lonesome tomato plant that bloomed and produced through all the heat. It's an unknown variety, small orange/red tomatoes, but larger than cherry. I will definitely keep some seeds for next year and to share with my tomato-loving-heat-enduring friends. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/8/2017, 10:02 am

has55 wrote:Sanderson-san, what do you use the sorghum for?
Did you do something fun with it?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/8/2017, 2:50 pm

Composting, mulching, fertilizing -- trying to revive my poor, beleaguered summer garden. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/9/2017, 1:40 pm

Now that it is below 100*F, I'm trying to get the back yard and garden cleaned. Swept and hosed the back patio. Moving supplies to the garage cabinet when they should have been all summer.

Pruning tomatoes (way overdue!) in hopes of more flowers, harvesting tomatoes that matured during the heat wave. Strung the cayenne chilies to dry outside. They are starting to "rattle". Watching a Canadian Crookneck squash slowly grow. It would be nice to have at least one this year. Steadily picking cucumbers for the first time in 5 years of SFG. Those Munchers are my winner for 2017. Made some cucumber/lime water and munched on some of the limed cucumbers. Very Happy

Started a new compost pile in the Lifetime Tumbler on the 5th. It is bouncing around 140-150*F. I'm turning and airing it daily. That's one of the negatives for tumblers. As you turn it, the lid has to be closed. Shocked Trust me. So, I slowly rotate, air out, repeat.

Gosh, not really any exciting news. I won't be starting the winter veggies until after the Heirloom Exposition in September. I'm thinking we will attend the Exposition for one day and then drive up the coastal highway to see the craggy ocean front and old redwood forest. Cool and misty.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Empty Cucumbers in Hot Weather

Post  countrynaturals 8/9/2017, 1:56 pm

Sanderson wrote:Steadily picking cucumbers for the first time in 5 years of SFG. Those Munchers are my winner for 2017.

Cukes are my hands-down winner for this summer, too. I got a late start planting Armenians, but they came up through the worst of the heat and are now in bloom. The big surprise for me was the Burpless Bush cukes. They've been producing steadily for almost 2 months. They're crisp and delicious, too. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 3170584802
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Empty Sorghum

Post  countrynaturals 8/10/2017, 1:36 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
has55 wrote:Sanderson-san, what do you use the sorghum for?
Did you do something fun with it?
Mine is finally starting to tassel. I hope the chickens love it. Otherwise, I won't bother with it again.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Sorghu10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/14/2017, 11:10 am

Starting to get busy. It will be a false start, since Thursday and Friday are supposed to be 104-105, which means the gardens and I will take a couple of personal days, but overall things are improving. I have enough zukes and cukes to start giving some away (well, only 1 each, but still Rolling Eyes). We had enough asparagus beans to make a difference in a one-pot meal.  Razz

I transplanted the sweet potato starts, yesterday, and today I transplanted the tromboncino squash. Today my 2nd summer seeds are supposed to arrive, so I'll get the butter beans in among the dead corn stalks. The new corn is sprouting, so I'll get that in, soon. I will also start some more tomato seeds and replant artichoke and Walla Wall seeds that have a poor germination rate -- only got one artichoke and 2 onion starts from last planting.

Back to work on the Zombie Garden before it gets too hot. (I think rocks are my best crop. Rolling Eyes)
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/17/2017, 11:35 am

Planting more 2nd summer seeds, today.

Found a pattypan squash.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Pattyp10

Check out these tiny tomatoes. Unknown variety. Exactly the same size and shape as the cherubs we love from the grocery store. They also survived our summer heat. We don't care what color they turn out to be as long as they're sweet. Fingers crossed. geek
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 4 Tiny-t10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next