Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Questions - Page 3 Toplef10Tomato Questions - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Questions - Page 3 I22gcj10Tomato Questions - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Questions - Page 3 Toplef10Tomato Questions - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Questions - Page 3 I22gcj10Tomato Questions - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Questions

+13
countrynaturals
DorothyG
sanderson
yolos
donnainzone5
CapeCoddess
SwampTroll
Turan
camprn
RoOsTeR
BeetlesPerSqFt
Scorpio Rising
shargets healthy
17 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Tomato Questions - Page 3 Empty Re: Tomato Questions

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/11/2017, 6:45 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:If you immediately pop the clipped one into water, or very wet soil, you may be able to get it to root. It will be behind the others, but sometimes it's nice to have a backup.
And if you have some rooting hormone, do that first!  It works!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 11/12/2017, 8:34 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:If you immediately pop the clipped one into water, or very wet soil, you may be able to get it to root. It will be behind the others, but sometimes it's nice to have a backup.
And if you have some rooting hormone, do that first!  It works!
Yeah.  I need to get some of that, but I didn’t have it on hand, so I clipped the one and put it in water.Tomato Questions - Page 3 F748f810
I cut slits in the side of the peat pot and up-potted this for the second time. (These were the Cherokee Purples that were in the KKurig pod) . I am looking for a large pot to be it’s permanent home for a reasonable price now.
Tomato Questions - Page 3 E3e70210
Once in its permanent pot, I plan to put it on a pallet with wheels so I can wheel it in an out of the garage for sun on days I know it won’t frost and wheel it back in when frost is threatening.
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/12/2017, 11:46 pm

Here is what I usually do starting in the early, early spring.  The two tomato plants are sitting on the top of a wagon my father built a hundred years ago to haul trash cans out to the street for pickup (before garbage cans actually had wheels).  I inherited his contraption and use it for moving tomato plants in and out of the garage to keep the tomato plants within proper temperature range.  These were grown this last spring and I had tomatoes way earlier than normal.Tomato Questions - Page 3 Tomato10

This was in the fall one year where I was harvesting ripe tomatoes after Christmas.  Our first frost date is normally around Oct 28.
Tomato Questions - Page 3 Tomato12
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 11/13/2017, 10:04 am

yolos wrote:Here is what I usually do starting in the early, early spring.  The two tomato plants are sitting on the top of a wagon my father built a hundred years ago to haul trash cans out to the street for pickup (before garbage cans actually had wheels).  I inherited his contraption and use it for moving tomato plants in and out of the garage to keep the tomato plants within proper temperature range.  These were grown this last spring and I had tomatoes way earlier than normal.Tomato Questions - Page 3 Tomato10

This was in the fall one year where I was harvesting ripe tomatoes after Christmas.  Our first frost date is normally around Oct 28.
Tomato Questions - Page 3 Tomato12
That's Great.  My "Projected" first frost date is somewhere between now and the middle of December. (depending on the source)  I am still harvesting tomatoes that were transplanted at the end of July.  I have had about ten new baby tomatoes pop out in the last few days.  I don't think they will have nearly enough time to become "full grown vine ripened adults" but you never know.  I didn't transplant them until late July because that's when I built my boxes.  I planted "heatwave" and "celebrity" (hybrid determinates) because I had no clue there where different types at the time.  The celebrities are said to have some indeterminate qualities and will somewhat continue to fruit until the frost and that is basically what I am seeing.  I would say 8 out of 10 of the brand new fruits that popped out over the weekend were the celebrity plants.  
Right now I have two "Cherokee Purples" the ones in the pic above. (one is in the pot and one in the water that I am hoping will root)  I also have one roma, abe lincoln and beefsteak that I have just up-potted for the first time.  I am sowing about one new plant every two weeks for practice for January more than anything.  I'm trying to make all my mistakes now, so when it comes "game time" in mid January, I will at least have learned a few things not to do Embarassed.  
I'm guessing that anything sowed for the next few weeks will be destined to be container plants as my understanding is that adult tomato plants do not transplant well.  Is that true?  What is your experience?  I guess what I'm asking is , at what point in development should the plants stay in containers and not be transplanted out into the ANSFG????
Next question is about permanent containers for the above mentioned varieties:  To be safe, I shouldn't really transplant anything into the outside bed until the very end of Feb. / beginning of March.  
The Cherokee Purples that are pictured above will be approx. 5 months old (from the date sowed. germinated 2 1/2 weeks later) at that time.  I'm assuming I should not transplant them at that age, so knowing that they grow from 4-8' and get a minimum of 18" wide, What size container would this variety need to be transplanted in to give it a chance to fruit??
Abe Lincoln ( 4-8' - 24") , Roma and Beefsteak (6-8' - 24" ) will be 4 months old since they were sowed at that time. (germination 1 week after sow).  What size containers would they need ?? (respectively)?
I would appreciate any and all opinions, thoughts and suggestions!  Thanks!
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Tomato Questions - Page 3 Empty Tomato Questions

Post  newbeone 11/13/2017, 10:25 am

Just a thought, how about spreading them apart to form a Y, remove all the lower leaves and burry them deep when you repot them, then when you plant them out you can cut them apart as new roots will have formed on  the stems that you buried during repotting.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/13/2017, 12:34 pm

newbeone wrote:Just a thought, how about spreading them apart to form a Y, remove all the lower leaves and burry them deep when you repot them, then when you plant them out you can cut them apart as new roots will have formed on  the stems that you buried during repotting.
Best idea, yet! clap
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 11/13/2017, 1:13 pm

newbeone wrote:Just a thought, how about spreading them apart to form a Y, remove all the lower leaves and burry them deep when you repot them, then when you plant them out you can cut them apart as new roots will have formed on  the stems that you buried during repotting.

Could someone explain this process to me?  I'm not sure what was meant by spreading them apart to form a "Y".
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/14/2017, 2:54 am

The roots will be planted together. As they get taller, one plant will be trained up one stake (whatever) and the other plant up another stake a foot or more away.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 11/14/2017, 9:19 am

sanderson wrote:The roots will be planted together.  As they get taller, one plant will be trained up one stake (whatever) and the other plant up another stake a foot or more away.
 So they are referring to two plants in one pot or to somehow split the one plant into two sections????  If it is to split one, what is the best way to do that?
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Tomato Questions - Page 3 Empty Tomato Questions

Post  newbeone 11/14/2017, 9:50 am

Sorry about the confusion. where you have two very nice tomato seedlings come up and you don't really want to cut one of them, by spreading them apart and removing the lower leaves then burry them deep when you repot them new roots will develop on the buried stems to support the new plants when you transplant them. Sometime I think I know what I want to say but it's hard to put into words.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 11/14/2017, 7:50 pm

newbeone wrote:Sorry about the confusion. where you have two very nice tomato seedlings come up and you don't really want to cut one of them, by spreading them apart and removing the lower leaves then burry them deep when you repot them new roots will develop on the buried stems to support the new plants when you transplant them. Sometime I think I know what I want to say but it's hard to put into words.
I understand now.  Thank you for clarifying.  That would have been a good idea, but I already cut one.  It’s in water now.   Been there about three days and already looks like some roots are about to come out .
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/14/2017, 8:26 pm

brianj555 wrote:
newbeone wrote:Sorry about the confusion. where you have two very nice tomato seedlings come up and you don't really want to cut one of them, by spreading them apart and removing the lower leaves then burry them deep when you repot them new roots will develop on the buried stems to support the new plants when you transplant them. Sometime I think I know what I want to say but it's hard to put into words.
I understand now.  Thank you for clarifying.  That would have been a good idea, but I already cut one.  It’s in water now.   Been there about three days and already looks like some roots are about to come out .
I didn’t get it either, thanks for the clarification! cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Tomato Questions - Page 3 Empty Success ! “ I think “

Post  brianj555 11/19/2017, 10:26 am

Tomato Questions - Page 3 41209310
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 11:01 am

brianj555 wrote:Tomato Questions - Page 3 41209310
SWEET! (Wish I knew what happened to our little hand-shaking smiley. Sad )
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

Yes.  I was very pleased to see that work.  I have transplanted and will wait to see how it takes. If it works that well the majority of the time, I’ll be doing that with all of the suckers.  Who knows, maybe one plant can turn into many.  That would be great for gifts ect.
thinking I wonder if the rooted suckers will make just as good of plants as the host?
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/5/2017, 6:01 pm

I’m in the process of pulling most of my tomatoes off the vine that are anywhere near grown or look like they have a chance to ripen.  Freezing temps coming this weekend . I am slowly pulling the most mature off and will continue to work my way down to the smaller ones the next couple days.  All of them ( except the really small ones that came out in the last week) are and have been covered with pantyhose for at least a month.  ( I highly recommend doing this before using insecticides.  It really seems to work.) Anyway , most of them look similair to this.
Tomato Questions - Page 3 Cfddd310
I’m sure this won’t affect the taste , but does anyone know what might have caused this?  I don’t think it’s critters since they have been covered, but maybe this occurred when they were really small?  What causes this?  Anyone have any ideas?
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/5/2017, 6:13 pm

brianj555 wrote:I’m in the process of pulling most of my tomatoes off the vine that are anywhere near grown or look like they have a chance to ripen.  Freezing temps coming this weekend . I am slowly pulling the most mature off and will continue to work my way down to the smaller ones the next couple days.  All of them ( except the really small ones that came out in the last week) are and have been covered with pantyhose for at least a month.  ( I highly recommend doing this before using insecticides.  It really seems to work.) Anyway , most of them look similair to this.
Tomato Questions - Page 3 Cfddd310
I’m sure this won’t affect the taste , but does anyone know what might have caused this?  I don’t think it’s critters since they have been covered, but maybe this occurred when they were really small?  What causes this?  Anyone have any ideas?

The photos/info at the following link may help. From the photos at the website there seems to be several possibilities.
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/DiagnosticKeys/TomFrt/TomFrtKey.html
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/5/2017, 9:53 pm

Thanks for the link ink. Here is another photo of the most severe cases.  I guess what I really need to know is will whatever this is prevent me from planting tomatoes in that bed in 3 months????  I’ve been looking at the link TD shared, but I’m not sure. 
Tomato Questions - Page 3 853f1110
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/6/2017, 2:28 pm

I was wondering about the spots on the blushers I brought in before the frost.  I thought they were from the cold.  The one on the right in the back row shows them best.  Tomato Questions - Page 3 Tomato11

It definitely froze last night.  A piece of ice from standing water last night.  I'm picking any larger green tomatoes on the Black Vernissage.  End of season.  Into the green waste bin they go and I can emotionally retire 2017 summer crops. Tomato Questions - Page 3 Freeze10

Last edited by sanderson on 12/11/2017, 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 12/6/2017, 4:48 pm

Whether it's safe to plant there in 3 months depends on what it is. I agree with TD, in that I don't feel I can make a confident diagnosis. I see radial cracks on the one tomato, but I don't know about the little spots.  If you're only noticing it now, the weather could well be responsible for causing minor damage leading to small scars or minor infections.
Radial cracks: http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/tomatoes_exhibiting_cracks_this_summer

Several of the diseases hang out on plant debris. Composting the plants at the end of the year does not guarantee you will get diseases in the future - many people do it without problems - but discarding the plants reduces your risk. I pull and discard my nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, eggplants, and ground cherries) at the end of the season.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/6/2017, 9:11 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Whether it's safe to plant there in 3 months depends on what it is. I agree with TD, in that I don't feel I can make a confident diagnosis. I see radial cracks on the one tomato, but I don't know about the little spots.  If you're only noticing it now, the weather could well be responsible for causing minor damage leading to small scars or minor infections.
Radial cracks: http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/tomatoes_exhibiting_cracks_this_summer

Several of the diseases hang out on plant debris. Composting the plants at the end of the year does not guarantee you will get diseases in the future - many people do it without problems - but discarding the plants reduces your risk. I pull and discard my nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, eggplants, and ground cherries) at the end of the season.
Thanks beetles.  I was hoping that all of the above damage was simply from rapid growth, the weather and the fact that I watered heavily before each of the frost threats .  I sure wish I could figure out a way to know for sure.  I would really hate to put 22 tomato plants in a 40 sq box and have a bacterial issue in my mix.  I will be filling up my other box with MM ( about 1/3 of the compost will be homemade) but I wasn’t wanting to use that box until spring 2019 for tomatoes to give that mix a year to get better.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 12/7/2017, 5:58 pm

Well the insides of the bigger red one with the major cracks looks just fine on the inside. A little mealy but that’s no surprise after 3 frosts and all the exterior damage.  I hope the damage to all that have it are superficial like this one. 
Tomato Questions - Page 3 F3467c10
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/11/2017, 6:42 am

I harvested my tomatoes early to prevent cracking. This work well for me and it stopped the birds from eating them. I picked them as soon as they begin to have a red flush. Here's why- WHY DO TOMATO SKINS SPLIT?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/11/2017, 2:48 pm

I also ate one of my counter- ripened tomatoes last night, along with some homemade kraut.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/11/2017, 6:33 pm

hungry Yum!
Scorpio Rising