Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
general tomato questions from a beginner Toplef10general tomato questions from a beginner 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

general tomato questions from a beginner I22gcj10general tomato questions from a beginner 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
general tomato questions from a beginner Toplef10general tomato questions from a beginner 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

general tomato questions from a beginner I22gcj10general tomato questions from a beginner 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

general tomato questions from a beginner

5 posters

Go down

general tomato questions from a beginner Empty general tomato questions from a beginner

Post  tkdtara84 3/29/2011, 1:59 am

We are not big fresh tomato eaters at our house (I know, blasphemy to some here), but we do like sauce and salsa. I plan to do a roma for sauce, but what is a good tomato for salsa? I'm not a big fan of seed, personally. I think it comes from my grandparents canning tomatoes with seeds everywhere.

Also, I'm completely new to growing tomatoes, so from what Ive read, romas need to be caged, not trelissed. I guess a trelissable variety would be good since space is a big consideration in our yard.

Again, showing my ignorance-- I plan to do peas on a trellis in one box. Would they be harvested in time to rip them out and plant a vine tomato (from a transplant, not seed) that could be harvested before our frost? In IN we have about 150-165 frost free days. I was thinking it could work, but I'd appreciate suggestions!
tkdtara84
tkdtara84

Female Posts : 68

Back to top Go down

general tomato questions from a beginner Empty general tomato questions from a beginner

Post  happycamper 3/29/2011, 4:21 am

I have to admit that I use Roma's for salsas I find that using a determinate tomato such as Roma works better for me when it comes to canning.

I wish I could help with the pea question. My Alaska peas are about 4 inches now and the Progress #9 and Sugar snaps are only about 1 inch and neither will be finished producing before my tomatoes go in.

I found an Indiana Vegetable Planting Calendar from Purdue Universty that may help.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/ext/Pubs/ho/HO_186.pdf

happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

general tomato questions from a beginner Empty Re: general tomato questions from a beginner

Post  rowena___. 3/29/2011, 8:53 am

i also like romas for salsa, they are firmer and less watery and homegrown have a wonderful flavor.

i would go ahead and put the tomato in the ground when it is time. the peas won't last much longer anyway when it is warm enough for the tomatoes.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

general tomato questions from a beginner Empty Re: general tomato questions from a beginner

Post  elliephant 3/29/2011, 9:54 am

Some canning (paste) tomatoes are indeterminate. Amish Paste is one I'm growing this year. If you are just making fresh salsa as the summer goes along that would be ok. But if you are thinking of canning you probably either need several interdeterminate in order to get a bunch at once, or determinate which produces pretty much all at once.

I'm growing 4 Rio Grande paste tomatoes (determinate) in a 2x8 bed and so far it looks like they'll have plenty of room. Well, maybe not plenty as in not touching each other, but I don't think they'll be crowded to the point of interferring with their development.

Juliet is another paste tomato I grew last year. It's ind. and I got it at a big box store as a start last year. Did really well, but I wouldn't have had enough at a time for more than possibly a small salsa canning batch at the peak of production.

Hopefully others will chime in with actual experience. I'm also limited by high temps which make it hard for fruit to set sometimes.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/29/2011, 5:01 pm

I had tremendous success last year with the heirloom indeterminate Gilbertie. High yields of large fruit that is very nice as table fruit or for canning/freezing as tomatoes, sauce or salsa. They also dried very well. You can see the plants in my personal photo album. I have seed available. Seed exchange database

general tomato questions from a beginner Aug_2810
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  tkdtara84 3/29/2011, 5:28 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was planning to buy transplants when it comes time for tomatoes, but I broke down and bought a packet of roma seeds today and have already put them in seed pots. I know I'm a little late in the game to be starting seeds, but they were on super sale at Menards (11/99 cents), so I decided I wouldn't lose much if I have to throw them out. It's good practice for me.

I've never had much luck starting seedlings in the past, but I'll give it another go. I will probably just go ahead and plant them where the peas were and just buy whatever type of ind. tomato the nursery has as seedlings when the time comes.

thanks for the link to the IN planting calendar! The Purdue site is quite helpful-- we live in the same town, so almost everything they publish is pertinent to my area. I hadn't found that calendar, though.
tkdtara84
tkdtara84

Female Posts : 68

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down