Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+64
CapeCoddess
suseine
DorothyG
OhioGardener
Dunkinjean
ispinwool
Windsor.Parker
BlackjackWidow
farmersgranddaughter
Ellen62
meatburner
SQWIB
yolos
Turan
aliceingardenland
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
plantoid
littlejo
Roseinarosecity
BeetlesPerSqFt
LizDTM
stealthmayhem
ColleenW
brianj555
dixie
bigdogrock
VJ72584
No_Such_Reality
Greenbeard
citizenz
SwampTroll
Fiz
hammock gal
Mimi2
greatgranny
walshevak
Robbomb116
donnainzone5
camprn
Judy McConnell
GloriaG
RC3291
AlwaysHotinFL
Banned Member
GWN
Mellen
dstack
Ginger Blue
herblover
MrBooker
newbeone
reynajrainwater
AtlantaMarie
Cajun Cappy
CitizenKate
audrey.jeanne.roberts
kauairosina
trolleydriver
momvet
NAR56
Kelejan
llama momma
68 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  yolos 12/4/2017, 9:16 pm

sanderson wrote:Yolos,  I just keep on learning from you.  I re-read the manual for Food Saver and sure enough I can reheat in hot water.  "You can also reheat foods in FoodSaver (R) Bags by placing them in water at a low simmer (below 170*F (75*C)"  Online instructions for Seal-a-Meal is the same - simmer.
Oops!! I did not know it should be a simmer.  I put the bag in a pot, start the heat and let it come to a boil and then turn down to medium heat.  Some day, I guess a bag will probably split on me.  Oh well.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  countrynaturals 12/5/2017, 3:27 pm

Got a delicious carrot and globe radish for Hubby and I to snack on -- small but awesome. I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 12/5/2017, 4:19 pm

The wind died down, so I got a chance to water, and this is what I am going to eat today:
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Harves10
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/5/2017, 4:24 pm

Still pulling one mongo-sized carrot every week. Lasts me all week.
I was just wondering this morning how I should cover them for winter so I can continue pulling one a week. The greens are still tall and beautiful and the MM is still friable...but, it won't be long...

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 12/5/2017, 4:30 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Still pulling one mongo-sized carrot every week.  Lasts me all week. 

What kind of carrot gets you a mongo-size?
Roseinarosecity

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/5/2017, 4:51 pm

Rose, I planted all 4 packages of the different seeds that I had back in April.  They've never grown this big before but I've never let them stay in this long. So I'd have to say it's time and not variety here.  

But they were ....umm....
thinking
I'll have to go look in the Carrot Week 2017 thread...but one variety was Danvers 126.  Oh, and I never planted them in full sun before either until this year.

Got it ...the remaining 3 varieties were A-#1 Hybrid, Chateney and Scarlet Nantes.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 12/5/2017, 7:47 pm

Lunch: my cabbage, onions, and garlic in a Thai curry.
Dinner: Tetsukabuto squash! mashed, as part of late replica-Thanksgiving leftovers. A very nice squash with a flavor that is a little different from butternut, more chestnut-y. My family grew these for a year or two when I was young, and then couldn't find seeds. It's a hybrid between Curcubita maxima (likely a kabocha in this case, rather than a hubburd) and Curcubita moschata (butternut and others). The con of this type is that it won't pollinate itself, and needs another C. moschata or C. maxima plant in the garden to pollinate it. The pros are its flavor and it actually produces in my short season - in part because it has squash vine borer resistance from it's C. moschata parent.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/6/2017, 6:36 pm

Today is the 60th anniversary of the day when I moved with my family from England to Canada. I was 10 years old at the time. My Dad and an Uncle had already come to Canada six months earlier. I traveled with my Mother, Grandmother, Aunt and three cousins. It was long journey on a prop powered plane. We arrived first in Montreal before flying to Toronto the next day. To celebrate this 60th anniversary, Mrs TD made a delicious meal for the two of us. All the this to finally say that she included one of the SFG grown Canada Crookneck Squash and it was excellent.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/8/2017, 2:35 am

Happy Canadian anniversary :canada:  And, congrats on the crookneck harvest.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Empty What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  newbeone 12/9/2017, 1:20 pm

Happy Anniversary! Today I went out to survey the damage from our cold snap and the snow Happy to see there wasn't much the basil, Malabar spinach and there was a little damage to some of the tomato plants, the figs are doing OK I ate a couple before the birds got them. and I also sucked up a few squash bugs Thanks sanderson for the info on the Dust Buster it works great.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/9/2017, 4:36 pm

Tonight we were eating delicious straight out the garden summer cabbage that was first cut in June then had the stalk cut in a cross to give four small cabbages .
 They have been lightly frosted and as a result they were fantastic .. slightly sweeter than normal & as soft as a wet NICE biscuit dipped in your coffee.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Empty Lettuce!

Post  LizDTM 12/10/2017, 10:55 am

I have a lot of lettuce and mustard spinach ready to harvest, so I'm going to have a nice salad along with some roasted beets and a steak for lunch today.
LizDTM
LizDTM

Female Posts : 30

http://www.thewritingreader.com/blog

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 1:37 pm

Yum, and yum!  Sounds wonderful!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/11/2017, 2:40 pm

newbeone wrote: I also sucked up a few squash bugs Thanks sanderson for the info on the Dust Buster it works great.
Glad it works for you also. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/15/2017, 1:49 pm

This is not really "eating from my garden" but I thought I would share it anyway. I am going to be try making French Onion Soup using the recipe "Authentic French Onion Soup courtesy of Julia Child" that I found at 

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/authentic-french-onion-soup-courtesy-of-julia-child-356428

I still have some small onions from the SFG so I may throw one of them into the recipe just to be able to say it is what I am eating from my garden today.

I've never made this before and I am no cook (well I may be a bit crazy) so let's see how I do. Hopefully, it will turn out to be delicious and will warm me up on this very cold day.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/15/2017, 5:35 pm

trolleydriver wrote:This is not really "eating from my garden" but I thought I would share it anyway. I am going to be try making French Onion Soup using the recipe "Authentic French Onion Soup courtesy of Julia Child" that I found at 

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/authentic-french-onion-soup-courtesy-of-julia-child-356428

I still have some small onions from the SFG so I may throw one of them into the recipe just to be able to say it is what I am eating from my garden today.

I've never made this before and I am no cook (well I may be a bit crazy) so let's see how I do. Hopefully, it will turn out to be delicious and will warm me up on this very cold day.

Well I am definitely no Julia Child when it comes to my abilities in the kitchen. However, the French Onion Soup turned out to be quite delicious. The original recipe said it was for 6 to 8 people so I cut it in half. Mrs TD will not go near the stuff although she did have a little taste. So this was all for me. I thought by cutting the quantities in half I would have enough for three or four bowls. The idea was that I would eat some today and store the rest for a future time. Maybe I am a pig but I only got about two bowls. As well I had to substitute a good brandy because I did not have any Cognac (which is a form of brandy anyway).

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Img_2031What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Img_2032What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Img_2030What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Img_2029
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/16/2017, 3:06 pm

TD, can you share this in the food section? If there isn't a thread, make one. Julie Child's French Onion Soup.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/16/2017, 5:46 pm

I was about to give up on indoor gardening. My cucumber plant was headed for the compost, along with its powdery mildew, aphids, and fruit flies. Mad When I went to get it off the table, look what I found hanging down behind the edge by the window.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Cuke310
Needless to say, all was forgiven. I chowed down on that cucumber (nice and crunchy), took the plant outside and gave it a good bath. Now I'm going to spray the heck out of it and bring it back in. I've learned several more lessons about veggie gardening in the house. I'll share them all in another thread.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 12/16/2017, 10:03 pm

Impressive cucumber!  Looking forward to your future indoor growing thread.
Roseinarosecity

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/18/2017, 6:15 pm

Roseinarosecity wrote:Impressive cucumber!  Looking forward to your future indoor growing thread.
I attached it to an old one from a very successful indoor gardener. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3548p25-indoor-container-garden-city-living#275890

Got a cherry tomato from my inside plant yesterday, and another one today.  Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/18/2017, 10:42 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I was about to give up on indoor gardening. My cucumber plant was headed for the compost, along with its powdery mildew, aphids, and fruit flies. Mad When I went to get it off the table, look what I found hanging down behind the edge by the window.
Needless to say, all was forgiven. I chowed down on that cucumber (nice and crunchy), took the plant outside and gave it a good bath. Now I'm going to spray the heck out of it and bring it back in. I've learned several more lessons about veggie gardening in the house. I'll share them all in another thread.
Nice!  Yum...how do you get them pollinated?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/18/2017, 11:51 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:I was about to give up on indoor gardening. My cucumber plant was headed for the compost, along with its powdery mildew, aphids, and fruit flies. Mad When I went to get it off the table, look what I found hanging down behind the edge by the window.
Nice!  Yum...how do you get them pollinated?
I use a paintbrush, but I didn't even know that one was there. I must have pollinated it a long time ago, then it fell down behind the table and I didn't realize it. There it grew like Topsy. Very Happy
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/19/2017, 3:12 pm

Last night, roasted veggies including my own counter-ripened tomatoes. Shocked delicous

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 1/11/2018, 5:16 pm

This will be tonight's vegetables:  Bok Choy--Toy Choy variety.
And harvested just in time because I could see little flower buds in the center.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Bok_ch10
Well, maybe not all of it will be dinner; I'll save some for the next day.
Roseinarosecity

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/11/2018, 10:11 pm

Roseinarosecity wrote:This will be tonight's vegetables:  Bok Choy--Toy Choy variety.
And harvested just in time because I could see little flower buds in the center.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 25 Bok_ch10
Well, maybe not all of it will be dinner; I'll save some for the next day.
Gorgeous!  Rose, what will you make with it?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next