Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Toplef10the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! I22gcj10the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Toplef10the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! I22gcj10the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea!

3 posters

Go down

the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Empty the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea!

Post  has55 6/27/2016, 7:42 pm

I have two plants being attack, stress. I don't know. anyone knows what going on?

the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! 1_tiff10
the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! 2_tiff10
the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! 3_tiff10
the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! 5_tiff10
the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! 6_tiff10
the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! 7_tiff10
the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Tiff_t10
the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Untitl10
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Empty Re: the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea!

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/27/2016, 10:51 pm

Looks like a couple things goin on....leaf miner where there is tunneling in the leaf, and the puncture damage looks like thrips or beetles....will do more research!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Empty Re: the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea!

Post  has55 6/28/2016, 1:07 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Looks like a couple things goin on....leaf miner where there is tunneling in the leaf, and the puncture damage looks like thrips or beetles....will do more research!  
I believe you're on the right trail. I thought it might be a fungus, but I found the site.
BIG BUG BOOK
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/28/2016, 1:12 am

Thrips: The Pest You Feel but Can’t See

pictures of thrip causing cucumber leaf damage

This seems to be the problem
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/29/2016, 11:10 pm

I'm rethinking my problems with the cukes. It may be self induced, like the time I grew greens too close together and put on a tight shade cloth on the bent EMT tubing. 24 hrs later they were white as snow with powdery mildew from no wind movement and no good air circulation. 

I can only find 3-4 leaf hoppers on my cantaloupes. can't find any insects since I put out 3 application of compost tea. I pulled those cukes leaves, shook them over white paper and found  one-two insects that I could see with magnifying glass. my cherry tomatoes has some dead leaves, the others have some yellow leaves with spots. I had curling on most of the tomatoes plants, but it stop when compost tea applied.
But my cantaloupes keep aborting their leaves. I have two fruit. all three categories are growing slowly.

I pulled the leaves, sprayed everything with neem oil, garlic juice a little dr. bonner soap and neptune fish fertilizer. 
I have been watering once a day for 3 mins at 2:00 pm with the aquajet system. I may be stressing the plants making them vulnerable to disease and insect attack by borderline dehydration. Not enough to see leaves drooping, but enough to keep them alive, but not live a plant life to the fullest.( only a gardener thinks like that).
I just saw the video of the tomatoes lady in Las Vegas. She said don't shade you're tomatoes plants, but water in frequent interval. she water 9 x's a day till frost. get minimum of 100 lbs, a day. but mostly 600 lbs/day. see video below. 
I'm going to increase my watering interval, but cut back the time to 1 min 5 times a day. the first day was Saturday. plants showed no sign of stress so far. have not seen any dropping, which I didn't see before, but only the slow growth and damage to the leaves. No rotting observed.

Today, I spoke to Robbie Buff, Owner of aquajet about the video on the tomato lady. He said John Kohler water  4 times a day for one min with the aquajet but wants to reduce it to 45 sec, but needs a different type of timer. His plants are lush and green in the deep part of the summer, least in the youtube videos. Robbie said it true.
We discussed the different types of weather for our area. His is hot and arid in the high desert and I have hot with high humidity in Denton, tx outside of Dallas, tx. I'm mostly in full sun. Robbie has been and lived in New York, Austin, Florida and other humid area next to a lake. He pointed out that he had to drink lots and lots of water in these cities compared to los Angeles  or the high desert area due to the high humidity. I found this out to be true when I visited Atlanta in the summer and Missouri by the Mississippi river.
With this in mind, I may need to increase my watering interval for proper plant transpiration. 
We also discussed drip irrigation use in the summer time that's exposed to the sunlight. He sad it initially put out hot scalding water on the plants roots till the cool water enter the line. So it best to cover the lines with compost, mulch or both to prevent this problem, whereas the aquajet is underground and puts out cool water each time it comes on. 
i putting two video below. One from the interview with Jon Kohler and the Tomato lady (mark point at 32.01-34.34) and one about the use of nematodes due to the results I'm getting from the compost tea which contains nematodes.
will keep you updated. Let me know what you think and what you are doing. 

What do you think about this transpiration method/idea?

go to 32.01-34.34 to hear john talk to the tomato lady

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/8/2016, 4:28 am

the watering like the tomato lady has been successful. No rotting. no sign of stress. Even my swiss chard has quit  drooping in the 100+ weather. This is a new paradigm shift in my thinking about plant transpiration. I'll keep you updated. I just added 1 foot of leaves with mulch on top in the tomatoes, cantaloupe and cucumber beds. So I going to cut the watering down to 1 min 3 times a day. I also believe I have spider mites on the tomatoes, but have been misdiagnosing it. So I going to spray liquid seaweed, which has been effective for me in the past. I should have been spraying it weekly, but forgot. 

this is a wonderful site. great pictures.

Spidermites – Plague of the Summer Garden
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 7/8/2016, 12:35 pm

How the plants doing?  To me that looks just like old cucumber leaves on a healthy properly mulch bed where slugs, rollie-pollies and ear whigs start taking out the old lagging leaves.

My cukes get leaves like that all the time but it's the older leaves down on bottom and not new growth areas.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/8/2016, 6:27 pm

No_Such_Reality, The plants have improved with the increase intervals in underground watering. but I had some issues of lesion which are appearing on other leaves. One or two near the top, but most at the bottom and mild to moderate in the middle. It appears I have Angular leaf spot and possibly Target leaf spot.
I found this wonderful site from the Plant village.org they have great picture with reason and they answer question. Impressive!!! I found my answer from the pictures.

If you go to their plant library , they have detail pictures of plants and disease with simple explanation. It a open source community .
Plant village Library 
When I went outdoor to take the pictures I found I loss one vine to the SVB. I quickly pulled the vine and split the yellow color stem to find the worms. I didn't foil around the the cucumber. something was wrong with my brain. In AM I'll put on the foil, DE and ground basil leaf. Also I will inject some BT into the others.
I found one striped cucumber beetle and one leaf hopper today
the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Img_2012
the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Img_2018

the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Img_2014

the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Img_2019

the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Img_2013

the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Img_2015

the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Img_2016
the SFG Journey-cucmber attack, disease? Can I get a witness? Oh yea! Img_2017

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 8/21/2016, 10:14 am

I went to a beneficial bug class yesterday at North Haven Garden Nursery in Dallas, Tx. Very helpful. If you live in or near Dallas everyone should visit this place once. GloriaG invited me to go visit and I'm glad I did. Thank you GloriaG!!!
NHG, Is a place you want to go and stay. you have to set out some time so you can see everything. They have a gallery display of paintings , classroom section, a cafe, a closed-in educational and tropical plant section, a huge outdoor plant section and a awesome indoor store. The employees are well informed. 
Scorpio Rising, you were right on with your diagnosis about what was attacking my plants. Right on!!! Thank you!! cheers  
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/21/2016, 10:47 am

That place sounds like a day trip!  How are the cukes doing?  Producing any fruits?  Mine are being eaten by striped and spotted cucumber beetles but still slowly producing.....your leaves actually look pretty decent, IMO!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 8/21/2016, 4:10 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:That place sounds like a day trip!  How are the cukes doing?  Producing any fruits?  Mine are being eaten by striped and spotted cucumber beetles but still slowly producing.....your leaves actually look pretty decent, IMO!
Pulled them up before i went on vacation. thrips have work them over. No what to do next time.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down