Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? Toplef10Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? I22gcj10Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? Toplef10Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? I22gcj10Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 12:18 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:13 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» Cabbage worms
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:34 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 5/11/2024, 5:24 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it?

+2
countrynaturals
audrey.jeanne.roberts
6 posters

Go down

Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? Empty Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/15/2016, 9:11 pm

Each year we like to buy something that sounds interesting and really different.  Some years we love them, other years we feed them to the cows, lol!

This year we decided on Boston Marrow from Baker Seeds.  http://www.rareseeds.com/boston-marrow-s/

Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? Squash-Boston-Marrow-Sasha-SQ221-webThese things are taking over our world, lol! 

Here is one of ours that is 18" long tip to tip and have grown 50% in size in less than 2 weeks.  
Have any of you grown them?  If so what did you make with them?  Any favorite recipes?  I am going to try to grow one of them for seed so I may have some to trade in the fall if you're interested.

Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? <a href=Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? 20160615_174619_resized_zpsccj60vsl" />
Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? <a href=Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? 20160608_185252_resized_zpswwdtfzpy" />
This picture was a couple weeks ago, the vines are now climbing the fence - so if you want to grow them you need LOTS of room, they're currently covering about 20' x 20' for 4 plants.  That medium sized boulder in the foreground is just in front of this squash for size perspective!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? Empty Re: Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it?

Post  countrynaturals 6/15/2016, 10:41 pm

Now that's a squash! affraid

I've never grown one of those, but I'm working on a recipe that might be worth trying on it. I make zucchini bread (more like cake) in a steamer. It's really a banana bread recipe that Hubby tweaked for me and I'm gonna try it with carrots this week. I'm betting it would also work with pumpkin, so it could be worth trying on this squash. thinking
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? Empty Re: Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/15/2016, 11:26 pm

I have at least a dozen of these squash growing.  I have no idea what I'll do with all of them, lol!  I think I will dehydrate some of them and turn them into a powder/flour to use for soups and maybe even for a flour for muffins etc. 

We will probably also cook and then freeze soups.  We love pumpkin soup and butternut soups so I imagine this will be similar.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/17/2016, 1:08 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I have at least a dozen of these squash growing.  I have no idea what I'll do with all of them, lol! 

I bet they'd be great for canning.  Do you get squash vine borer or squash bugs in your area?  Or can you tell if the vine is hollow or not?  I ask because if I could grow just one of those puppies in my area, it would last me thru the winter!

HA...just found this:

"The University of Illinois Extension reports that Blue Hubbard (Cucurbita maxima, “Blue Hubbard”) performs best against squash vine borers, followed by the slightly less resistant Cucurbita maxima “Boston Marrow” and Cucurbita maxima “Golden Delicious” varieties of hubbard squash. The extension also reports that two pumpkin varieties, Cucurbita pepo “Connecticut Field” and Cucurbita pepo “Small Sugar” -- both heirloom varieties -- also perform well. All of these are good keepers and quite decorative in autumn displays."
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/squash-resistant-squash-vine-borer-77620.html

Audrey, if you save some seeds, I would love to trade with ya!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/17/2016, 1:19 pm

Good info!  I get some squash bugs in one part of my garden.  I hand pick them off and have been able to keep them at bay. 

I have a plant at the far end of my garden and I'll seal off the male and female flowers on a couple of the fruit to hand pollinate.  I'll let you know later in the year.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/18/2016, 12:12 pm

Squash bugs!  That's what I have on some of the tomatoes and peppers!  I have a hand vac for them.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21557

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/18/2016, 12:42 pm

What nozzle do you use for that, a crevasse tool?  That's a great idea.  I have a jar of water and have been hand picking them off and dropping them in the water.  None so far this year, but doubt that will last!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/18/2016, 12:51 pm

B&D Dustbuster.  There is a flip up mini-brush but I just leave it down, so I would say it acts like the crevice tool.  They are pretty beaten up inside the canister but I dump it into soapy water to make sure.

Last edited by sanderson on 6/20/2016, 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/18/2016, 2:29 pm

I also use a hand vac.  It gets the squash bugs eventually but won't suck up the leaf footed bugs for some reason.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/27/2016, 10:48 am

Well... the end of the season is here and we harvested our Boston Marrow.  They were spectacular!  We ended up with 6 really large ones and a few smaller ones on a later planted vine.  
Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? 20160729_191458_resized_zpsloxtordt

Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? 20160729_191510_resized_zpsydzleifz

Boston Marrow Heirloom Squash - Anyone grown it? 20160608_185312_resized_zpsbdjcv2cd

Here's what we learned:

1.  If you don't have a LOT OF ROOM, these aren't for you.  3 plants took up about 25 x 25'  they produced the largest squash at somewhere around 35 to 40 lbs.  

2.  Other than space, they were super easy to grow and very vigorous.  No issues at all.

3.  They are very easy to process.  The skins are thinner than pumpkin so I simply cut the large fruit into chunks and then sliced them into 7-8" sections and cut the skin off.  Chunked them and then either roasted them in the oven or more frequently simply cooked them on low in my crock pot for 8 hours and let them simmer until I was ready to cool and ziploc bag the puree.  My ziploc bags stored 6-7 cups.  I laid them flat in the freezer.

4.  Our "pumpkin pies" made with them were loved by all.  Sweet.  Very smooth puree, not grainy or mealy like pumpkin is.  

5.  I also dried wedges in my dehydrator and then ground them for pumpkin powder/flour.  It can be used for up to 1/4 of a recipe's flour and also for making soups or sauces.  I will play around with it over the winter and make some soups.

6.  We harvested the seeds and sun dried them.  I will eat them raw for snacks - I'm trying to get used to eating raw nuts as they have more nutritional value. 

We will grow them again.  They were fun and tasty and I am donating most of the puree I made to our church for the ladies to make baked goodies with for our youth group fund raiser so it's all going to a GREAT cause!

Last edited by audrey.jeanne.roberts on 8/27/2016, 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/27/2016, 10:56 am

AJR, those are gorgeous!  And it's a win-win-win for you and your beneficiaries at the Church!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8731

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/27/2016, 12:55 pm

Audrey, It must have taken hours to process all of those. Thanks for sharing.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/28/2016, 12:34 pm

sanderson wrote:Audrey,  It must have taken hours to process all of those.  Thanks for sharing.
Surprisingly it took less than I anticipated.  Probably 1 to 1.5 hours per squash which included processing the seeds and making the puree and powder.  For something that large I anticipated more, but the softer skin than expected made trimming it down easy.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down