Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Never grown squash before Toplef10Never grown squash before 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Never grown squash before I22gcj10Never grown squash before 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Never grown squash before Toplef10Never grown squash before 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Never grown squash before I22gcj10Never grown squash before 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Never grown squash before

+3
sarah465
gwennifer
Frenchbean
7 posters

Go down

Never grown squash before Empty Never grown squash before

Post  Frenchbean 6/20/2013, 12:03 pm

Hi everyone Im over here in England and its 24c hooray happy banana and its overcast and spitting with rain :affraid:However,I've been pottering around my garden. I have just seen my squash plant has grown 2 super looking leaves. Its in a small pot. I know nothing about growing squash. Please help. Never grown squash before 3170584802
Frenchbean

Female Posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Never grown squash before Empty Re: Never grown squash before

Post  gwennifer 6/20/2013, 12:27 pm

I can't help, but I can join in your excitement - I'm growing squash for the first time too! hyper
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah465 6/20/2013, 2:58 pm

Woo hoo, that IS exciting!!

We are growing squash for the first time, too.  Wish we were having better luck, though.  Since transplanting into the bed they have been growing verrrryyy slowly Sad.  And the outter leaves have begun to yellow...

Am wondering if too much nitrogen in the soil?  All other plants have been going BONKERS so am not really sure what to do?  Maybe it's just been too cold here?

Anyway, YAY for new leaves!! SmileNever grown squash before 3170584802
sarah465
sarah465

Back to top Go down

Post  Frenchbean 6/20/2013, 3:29 pm

Perhaps as were all new to this . A kind person on here might do us a favour and post a tutorial to help us all along. Perhaps with pictures if we all ask nicely.
Please studythankyoureading Pretty please, with a cherry on the top
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 6/20/2013, 4:32 pm

Well, I know nothing about doing videos or tutorials, but, I'll see if I can help.What kind of squash? Vine or bush? Bush does not really describe most squash for they 'travel' if they don't climb.
Squash need a large pot or in the ground. They usually have very large leaves, and they like it fairly hot. If not growing the weather may be too damp and cool. If it quits raining, and the sun comes out, look out for they will quickly grow huge. After fruit is on, then they would like a drink to grow their fruit.
Zucchini 'maybe' can be grown up a post, guide it up post and tie loosely. This will have to be done daily for they grow very fast. Lots of folks let zucchini grow over edge of box, in to the isle, to save room in the box(I do this)
Vines an be grown up a trellis.

If lots of leaves and no blossoms, very green, then the nitrogen may be high, plant some lettuce at it's base and the lettuce will use up the excess nitrogen. If leaves are yellowing, well, it could be lots of stuff.
Bugs, disease, or needing a mild fertilizer. A mild organic, maybe Ensoma Garden. Just a little bit, or some good compost, worm tea, or compost tea. Bugs or disease, well that takes a whole other thread.
I will go out between rain downpours and try to get some pics.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/20/2013, 4:41 pm

Hi Sarah465 - we're in the same town! What type of squash are you growing? I bought Spaghetti squash transplants from Shorty's. Since squash plants are typically planted 3-5 per hill (with hills being like 5 ft apart) instead of one every two squares in an SFG, all the transplants were grown with 3 or 4 plants in each little pot. I wasn't sure what to do, but economy won out and I bought one pot and separated the plants and hoped for the best. There weren't many roots left by the time I got them apart, but the one I have still growing (my 2 year old destroyed the others) has proven today that it has survived being transplanted and is ready to grow. It has a flush of new leaves coming out!
cheers

Frenchbean, I think you need to be more specific regarding what you need help with? You said it's in a little pot - do you need to know where to plant it? How much space it needs?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah465 6/20/2013, 5:11 pm

Hiya Gwennifer!  Hope you've been staying dry through our rain showers today Smile

We are growing two types of winter squash:

Never grown squash before Squash12

Marina di Chioggia

Never grown squash before Squash13

and Golden Delicious

The idea is to train them up this chicken wire trellis (fingers crossed they grow that much AND the wire can hold them).

Never grown squash before Squish11

As I said, since transplanting the growth rate has slowed down considerably.  Only two or three new leaves in about two weeks :-/
sarah465
sarah465

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah465 6/20/2013, 5:14 pm

littlejo wrote:What kind of squash? Vine or bush? Bush does not really describe most squash for they 'travel' if they don't climb.

Oh, dear - I'm not sure Smile We have Marina di Chioggia and Golden Delicious. It doesn't say on the packet which type they are...I guess I should find out! We were planning on training them up a trellis, but that wouldn't work if they don't climb I bet!
sarah465
sarah465

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/20/2013, 6:12 pm

Sarah, Marina di Chioggia is an Italian heirloom with a pebbled surface. A delicious winter squash, though I can't tell you how long it stores, because we ate it up early in the winter. It has a somewhat dry flesh, and makes a delicious batch of gnocchi. Also makes a delicious "pumpkin" pie. It's a somewhat large squash, so plan on more than one recipe to use with your mature squash: batch of pumpkin soup, a pie or two, but save some to use for making gnocchi (lots of recipes online). Using up a large Chioggia was my first attempt at gnocchi--delicious. Bon appetite! Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 6/20/2013, 6:31 pm

I've been out and got a few pics.
Yellow squash--traveling from left to right.
Never grown squash before Pic_0612

Same plant-big leaves
Never grown squash before Pic_0613
Zucchini-over edge of box-2 plants,  needs weeding
Never grown squash before Pic_0614
Never grown squash before Pic_0615

Never grown squash before Pic_0616
below is acorn squash
Never grown squash before Pic_0617
I only have what they call bush type, which travels. You might be able to tie to the trellis. Bush type does not have tendrils to attach itself to trellis
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  Frenchbean 6/21/2013, 6:08 am

Thanks for the lovely pictures. Firstly I have 2 courgettes (Blackbeauty) in my TT. We've just had a downpour  and its grown quite a lot in a short time. I didn't put them at the end of my tabletop Shocked Kinda in the middle oops!. Thats a lesson learned for next year. 🐘From what I've been reading I need to cage them? to encourage them to grow vertically :scratch:

My daughter has grown a squash plant, butternut squash. At the moment it is a little tray. It has 3 leaves. Im not sure if to put it in a larger pot or plant it out.:scratch:  I think I might pot it up into a bigger pot. As I have foxes and cats in my garden. I have taken a picture and will try to upload it. But don't hold your breath as this forum doesn't like accepting my pots🤔
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  ahbishop 6/21/2013, 12:52 pm

I am new to growing squash too.  I planted seeds in early May, and had to add some nitrogen to the soil because they stopped growing.  My zuchinni plant exploded and is like a bush.  I have had one blossom on one squash that then died away, and I have had two blooms on a dif yellow squash plant...one showed up and was gone before I knew it, the other is still there...but I don't see any actual squash or zuchinni...the zuchinni "bush" has little buds though.  When should I start seeing some veggies?  Do I need to do anything different?
ahbishop
ahbishop

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 6/21/2013, 2:44 pm

ahbishop wrote:I am new to growing squash too.  I planted seeds in early May, and had to add some nitrogen to the soil because they stopped growing.  My zuchinni plant exploded and is like a bush.  I have had one blossom on one squash that then died away, and I have had two blooms on a dif yellow squash plant...one showed up and was gone before I knew it, the other is still there...but I don't see any actual squash or zuchinni...the zuchinni "bush" has little buds though.  When should I start seeing some veggies?  Do I need to do anything different?
ahbishop,
The first flowers were prob male. The female flowers will have a mini fruit just behind the flower. If the flower with the fruit drops off, then it was not pollenated. If it gets pollenated, by you or bee, then a fruit will grow.
If the plant just grows, with no flowers at all, then there is to much nitrogen, plant some lettuce at base of plant to use up the nitrogen.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  ahbishop 6/21/2013, 2:56 pm

Thanks littlejo.  The huge plant was getting that way before I added nitrogen, and there is some lettuce not far away...I will keep an eye on it for a couple of more days - i have some lettuce seeds on standby though Smile that's a great idea. Plus, I can't have enough lettuce.  I love salads Very Happy
ahbishop
ahbishop

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/21/2013, 10:21 pm

Don't let the male blossoms go to waste, though. Clip them off early in the morning and store on a paper towel in a plastic bag in refrigerator until dinner time. Then, reach into the blossom and pull out the stamen. Stuff in some cheese and seasonings, twist the flower closed. Roll each blossom in seasoned flour, then in beaten egg wash, then again in flour (and/or bread crumbs), then fry in hot oil until golden and cooked through. Eat and enjoy. As to the cheese, we really like a jalapeno jack cheese. If you leave the stem on the blossoms, you can freak out the kids by calling them "fried mice" for dinner. Nonna who can't wait for the first, usually male, blossoms on the squash plants. Yummmmmm!
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/22/2013, 5:27 pm

This is my first time growing squash as well.  I have little fruits and many unopened flowers at this point.  However, some of the first leaves are yellowing.  Is this a cause for concern?
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 6/22/2013, 8:56 pm

herblover,
Don't panic. The first leaves may yellow and fall off, they have done all they can. The plant will put on more leaves as it vines or travels.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down