Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!  Toplef10Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!  I22gcj10Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!  Toplef10Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!  I22gcj10Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Today at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!

5 posters

Go down

Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!  Empty Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!

Post  Ashleeferro 3/31/2016, 1:20 am

The orientation is <-North - South->
The first row is peas, peas, broccoli, broccoli, broccoli, romanesco, romanesco, roma, tomato, tomato (haven't gotten the last two starts yet)
Second row: Vine zucchini, yellow wax peppers, cucumbers, mesclun, leaf lettuce, leaf lettuce, carrot, basil, beet, horseradish
Third row: yellow squash, strawberry, rosemary, sage, spinach, icicle radish, arugula, shallots, and two undecided squares. 
Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!  Screen11

Hello! I'm so excited that I found this forum. My other half and I have been working very hard to get set up with a raised garden bed. We tilled the ground today, now we just need to dig holes for the fence posts, and then start assembling the bed! The finished bed will be 10' long, 3' high, 1' deep. We are really excited to try our hand at square foot gardening! I am also hoping to stick to some companion planting guidelines. I've done a lot of research online but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not. We're going to start digging the holes for the fence tomorrow and assembling the bed. We have most of our starts, didn't have the means to do seed starts inside this year. Thank you for any advice! Smile
Ashleeferro
Ashleeferro

Back to top Go down

Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!  Empty Re: Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!

Post  Zmoore 3/31/2016, 8:16 am

Good Luck!!!!  Hope you enjoy!  
MY 2 cents of input, but don't let me "rain on your parade", you go!

I'd take the 2 undecided and make them strawberry.  Strawberries if I recall are 4 plants per square.  Anyway, 4 total strawberry plants is only going to give you a handful of berries.  Since you have two squares available, suggest you you make those strawberry as well for a total of 3 squares or 12 plants, might get a bowl out of that.  OH!  FYI (you probably already know) strawberries don't produce the first year, so this year is going to be an effort of TLC for the strawberries with little to no return.  Next year though.  I'm anxious to see how my strawberries do this year (fingers crossed).

I think you're going to need a trellis for the cucumbers, zucchini vine, possibly peas and tomatoes.  Based on your garden orientation I'd suggest putting trellis on north end where your zucchini is, swap the squash and the cucumbers, move the tomatoes from the south to the north end.  Check on your peas to see if they need a trellis.  You might be able cages for the tomatoes, but I'd still slide them north anyway.

I'm going to try broccoli this year too, first time.  My understanding is that is more of a fall crop i.e. you plant it in mid-late summer to harvest in fall.  Probably depends on area and variety bought I guess, but that's what I'm planning to do.  Anyway, you may be able to plant some early spring stuff like leaf lettuce and radishes in those squares now to boost the amount of those you have and then plant the broccoli later after harvest.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/31/2016, 1:49 pm

glad you\'re here  Ashleeferro  happy hi 
from Kelejan :canada: in British Columbia

Look forward to see how you make out.  I am sure you will get lots of good advice from this Forum. We love to help.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6014

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/31/2016, 5:44 pm

Welcome from Ohio, Ashlee! Exciting to be planning your first garden . I second Zmoore's suggestions on the strawberries, trellis, and locations for things needing trellised. Take lots of notes along the way, you will learn a lot this year! And take some pics so we can see your progress!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8801

Back to top Go down

Our tentative 10x3 garden plan!  Empty Switching Tomatoes..

Post  Ashleeferro 4/1/2016, 1:02 am

Thank you for your warm welcome! We made good progress today building a retaining wall, and a few posts set in. One reason I tentatively put the tomatoes in the south end is because I wanted to give the broccoli and romanesco part shade. From what I understand the broccoli family need partial shade and are sensitive to high temperatures. I think we'll be okay planting them now, instead of in the fall. We live on San Juan Island so temperatures are pretty mild here anyways. Thoughts? I'm open to suggestions Smile Is the reasoning to move the tomatoes to the north side so that the tall plants will be together? Tomatoes need full sun, right? Thank you again!
Ashleeferro
Ashleeferro

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/1/2016, 7:27 am

Yes, the idea is to put the trellis on the north end and group all the things that need support together.  Tomatoes need support, either cages or trellis.  I have never had any luck with cages, so I use metal/plastic poles and tie mine.  Others trellis.  

Have you read Mel Bartholomew's book,  All New SFG 2nd Edition?  It would serve you well IMO, and save you a bunch of work.  Really good read, invaluable.

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 4/1/2016, 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8801

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/1/2016, 8:05 am

Hi Ashlee. Welcome from Atlanta, GA!

Are you planting against that wall &/or fencing? BE SURE to put something underneath the edges & the edges of your bed to prevent weeds & grass from growing between them!!!! Trust me on this...

We planted against a fence & DIDN'T put anything to block weeds. Now I've got an absolute mess - grass, weeds, & trees (thanks to my neighbor).

I'd recommend a heavy-duty plastic with cardboard underneath. Or better yet, don't plant against the fence. Leave some walking-around room.

Be sure to post pics! We love to see how things come together.... :-)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5603

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down