Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Toplef10Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 I22gcj10Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Toplef10Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 I22gcj10Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house.

+6
CapeCoddess
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
landarch
AtlantaMarie
jimmy cee
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Empty Re: Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house.

Post  ralitaco 3/21/2016, 10:49 pm

Jimmy Cee,
That is great! You have done what I have been thinking of doing with my 4x4. What are you going to do for the top?

I was thinking about using those clear, corrugated roofing panels. But I like you have tons of other things to do...e.g. fix my wheel barrow, build more beds...
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Empty Re: Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house.

Post  ralitaco 3/21/2016, 10:55 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Yes...  So they'll just have to come over & we'll do a concert with no amps or mikes!  Problem solved.  :-)

So, when do my closest 3000 gardening friends want to meet at my house?

:-)  (Dang, I wish my emoticons worked!)

Hmmm...sounds like the makings of a SFG convention followed up with a road trip to The Varsity Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 3170584802
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/22/2016, 4:21 am

This??
http://www.thevarsity.com/menu.php

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/22/2016, 9:10 am

Yep.
It's something like the biggest or oldest drive in.
The workers all hollering "What'll ya have, What'll ya have"
They are know for their chili and orange drink/slushy

It's a fun place and a piece of Americana.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/22/2016, 9:25 am

ralitaco wrote:Jimmy Cee,
That is great! You have done what I have been thinking of doing with my 4x4. What are you going to do for the top?

I was thinking about using those clear, corrugated roofing panels. But I like you have tons of other things to do...e.g. fix my wheel barrow, build more beds...
Just framework easily removed, I want to use this when warmer for zucchini and cukes. will be netting it then.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/22/2016, 7:04 pm

ralitaco wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:Yes...  So they'll just have to come over & we'll do a concert with no amps or mikes!  Problem solved.  :-)

So, when do my closest 3000 gardening friends want to meet at my house?

:-)  (Dang, I wish my emoticons worked!)

Hmmm...sounds like the makings of a SFG convention followed up with a road trip to The Varsity Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 3170584802

Oh, yeah, baby! GREAT idea! I'm always up for the V... But we'll have to go to the downtown one for the full experience... Although Norcross would be closer... A LOT closer..

Sanderson, yes, that's the one. The Varsity was actually featured on a PBS show. I THINK it was "Sandwiches You Will Like...." (Sorry Donna. Can't italicize like I should. My settings are messed up somehow...)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/22/2016, 10:20 pm

jimmy cee wrote:
Just framework easily removed, I want to use this when warmer for zucchini and cukes. will be netting it then.

Just curious, if I used the corrugated stuff why couldn't I leave it up year round?
The only thing I can think of is that it would stop the rain from getting in from the top, but if I use a drip system then that wouldn't matter, right?

Also for the sides, I was thinking about looking for or making some bifold doors and making them so I could swap out the panels for glass, screen, etc.

Another thought I had was to make my own "Roll Up" sides like the one in the picture below, but instead of using bamboo, use plastic like the kind you have.
Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Spin_p10
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/23/2016, 3:26 am

RT, It can get pretty hot under a clear plastic roof, and with year around installation it will deteriorate faster.
Rain is a nice thing for the bed. Drip keeps thing alive but doesn't necessarily wet the entire square. Even with daily drips (don't tell the water cops), I still use the hose wand on shower setting 3-4 times a week.

The roll-up plastic sides sounds interesting. Give us an update if you do it.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/23/2016, 8:56 am

sanderson wrote:RT,  It can get pretty hot under a clear plastic roof, and with year around installation it will deteriorate faster
Rain is a nice thing for the bed.  Drip keeps thing alive but doesn't necessarily wet the entire square.  Even with daily drips (don't tell the water cops), I still use the hose wand on shower setting 3-4 times a week.

The roll-up plastic sides sounds interesting.  Give us an update if you do it.
Good points about the top. One more thing I thought of is that my plants grew above the top last year, so I am thinking permanent may be a mistake.

And I will let you know about the sides if/when I do them
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/25/2016, 8:42 am

Finally got to use this hot box as I call it..Inside has this nice feeling of going into a greenhouse as soon as cover's removed..plants seem to enjoy it. I have all tomato's peppers, etc and some of wife's flowers. Had to toss all cucumbers except one, much to early as they grew so nicely, have a test cuke on lower left..Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Hot_bo11
Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Hot_bo14
Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Hot_bo15
Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Hot_bo16
Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Hot_bo10
Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Hot_bo12
Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Hot_bo13
Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Hot_bo17
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/25/2016, 8:55 am

VERY nice!

What's the plant in the turquoise planter?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/25/2016, 9:00 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:VERY nice!

+1 ... Excellent
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/25/2016, 10:44 am

jimmy cee wrote:Finally got to use this hot box as I call it..
Hot house..Square house.. or just a 4 X 4 house. - Page 2 Hot_bo12
Glad you are using it.
I was trying to determine how you built and are installing the panels. I can see one leaning up against the hot house. It looks like it just slides in and is held by a bungee cord?
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/25/2016, 7:10 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:VERY nice!

What's the plant in the turquoise planter?

It's a zinnia Marie, wife wanted to try some this year so faithful me said...I can do it....LOL....
They have turned out very nicely, although what can you expect it's Mel's Mix.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/26/2016, 11:12 am

How IS your wife, Jimmy?  Let her know we're thinking of her.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/26/2016, 9:26 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:How IS your wife, Jimmy?  Let her know we're thinking of her.

CC
Thanks for your concern CC.
You know...I've heard all these years how difficult Chemo is, and I am sure it is, however, in my wife's case, I think she is doing remarkably well. Although there are periods of 1 and a half weeks where she does nothing but sleep, rest and just no energy. Sitting in a chair, comfy or not  for 8 hours taking the med's is not good for any one. This center here in Indiana is taking great care of her, doc is great as are all the folk administering to her..I'm thankful we only need to drive 5 minutes to the cancer center, some folk must drive  a much longer time.  It does take a toll emotionally which has an effect physically. She is eating well, hair thinning, however she still needs to dust, cook and mop floors, can't keep her down...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/27/2016, 12:29 pm

jimmy cee wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:How IS your wife, Jimmy?  Let her know we're thinking of her.

CC
Thanks for your concern CC.
You know...I've heard all these years how difficult Chemo is, and I am sure it is, however, in my wife's case, I think she is doing remarkably well. Although there are periods of 1 and a half weeks where she does nothing but sleep, rest and just no energy. Sitting in a chair, comfy or not  for 8 hours taking the med's is not good for any one. This center here in Indiana is taking great care of her, doc is great as are all the folk administering to her..I'm thankful we only need to drive 5 minutes to the cancer center, some folk must drive  a much longer time.  It does take a toll emotionally which has an effect physically. She is eating well, hair thinning, however she still needs to dust, cook and mop floors, can't keep her down...
So glad she can handle the chemo and she's eating well. So many struggle with both. Smile (Who cares about hair--it grows back.)
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2