Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 3 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22 ... 41  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 11/17/2015, 2:00 am

Embarassed Embarassed Starts from independent nursery. Embarassed Embarassed

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/19/2015, 9:58 pm

No shame in that :-)  I'd do it if I remembered to look when I'm down the mountain, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/20/2015, 1:19 am

A few carrots and parnips have sprouted! Do they need freeze protection? There are 2 new baby tomatoes in the greenhouse. This is a fun experiment.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/20/2015, 7:29 am

Oranges! So pretty!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 11/20/2015, 2:06 pm

Carrots and parsnips don't need frost protection. In my garden, the only protection needed is from house finches that seem to come in flocks ahead of Northwestern storms. Those feathered locusts will strip everything: My squash and been plants, parsley, chard, kale and carrots are picked clean of any greenery. They even eat the rye grass lawn faster than it can grow, leaving bald patches. Seems like the only greens they leave alone are the tree Kale (they haven't touched it...yet.)
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/20/2015, 3:29 pm

Thanks, YS

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 11/24/2015, 3:25 pm

Just started to rain, so I'm just going to relax and wait for more weeds to pop up. I just finished cleaning the gutters, so let it pour cheers
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/26/2015, 12:40 am

We had a nice rain yesterday, also. 0.15"

I haven't been online much for a couple days.  That dang molar got another infection so I had to get it pulled and a bone graft yesterday.  The appointment was for next Tuesday but I couldn't do a darn thing because of the pain, the sinus and ear infections, so they fit me in.  I still have the sinus and ear infections but the throbbing  pain is gone. Yeah!  We will have Thanksgiving dinner on Friday in Sac.  At least I only have the side dishes this year.

Before I got sick, i fooled around with the hanging baskets.  This morning I noticed that something has been tearing up the baskets.  I asked the cat and she said it wasn't her.  So I guess it's the birds pecking for the fibers. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 East_s12

One of the green totes of sweet potatoes can be seen in the photo.  The plants have died down this week so I guess it's time to dump one and see what's in there.  The 2 little grandsons are supposed to spend the next Friday with us I and I thought dumping the totes could be one project to do.  Maybe plant some pansies in a couple hanging baskets?  Just trying to figure out how to keep Knee High and Short Stuff entertained for 8 hours while mom and dad attend a conference here in town.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/26/2015, 8:20 am

Wow sanderson, that tooth problem sounds brutal.  Hope the infections clear up very soon.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 11/26/2015, 11:39 am

Sanderson, I cringe when I think of your tooth, sinus and ear problems. I'm so sorry to hear your ailing. The last "toothache" I went to my dentist for was actually a sinus infection that ultimately led to some nasty surgery. Seems that my sinus and ear problems were the result of allergies that left me vulnerable to the germs that my nieces and nephews brought along on one of their visits. I broke the cycle by getting allergy shots, and the MD says he doesn't foresee any need for more surgery or any more tubes in my ears( I had to have tubes put in my ears 4X- I thought only kids had those- but they were a great relief, and not much pain involved). I do hope you are feeling better soon so you can shoo away those birds that are picking your planters apart. I had the same thing happen and it was blue jays and towhees the were the offending parties.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/26/2015, 3:00 pm

Thanks, folks. I can only get better and better, now. I looked up towhees - cute little birds. I have mocking birds, occasional blue jay, finches ??, and lots of hummingbirds.

It was close to freezing last night. A lot of frost. The tomatoes in the green house are still alive even though I haven't set up a heat source on timers yet. Bad thing about being sick is not being able to do things that should be done. The little baby tomatoes are growing bigger. I can only imagine what it would be like to walk through Audrey's green house with tomatoes and peppers growing.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/27/2015, 10:42 am

I feel for you, Sanderson. I have had a ton of work done in my mouth. Awful. Expensive. Hope you feel better and get a resolution to the issues!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/28/2015, 8:32 am

+1, Sanderson!  I haven't had to have a lot done, but DH has...  I can see how miserable he feels sometimes...

Feel better soon!!!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/28/2015, 5:34 pm

My total empathy (and sympathy) for any one with teeth problems. For me, each day I feel better and better.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/1/2015, 3:25 am

My Christmas greenhouse. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 3 Hot_ho13

I pruned and watered the tomato plants inside, and, snip! there went the biggest tom. Sad There are 4 other toms but they are still small.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/1/2015, 8:19 am

sanderson ... that is very cute.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/1/2015, 9:25 am

Oops!  As long as you didn't snip it to the ground!

Looks pretty, Sanderson...!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/1/2015, 12:59 pm

Thanks. I snipped the stem on which the big tom was growing, not the whole plant.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/10/2015, 2:55 am

I haven't been doing all that much this week. Picked some Green Lance Kale for dinner. It's one of 3 varieties growing and it was very mild. The others are Russian and Curly. All of the garlic, onions, lettuce, carrots, snow peas, bok choy, cabbage and parsnips are doing good. The greenhouse tomatoes have 5 baby toms! No Cal is expecting rain tomorrow. I gathered 5 33-gal bags of leaves from 4 neighbors on Monday and meant to gather pear and Chinese Pistachio from the elementary school today before the rain, but ran out of daylight. Maybe on Sat if there is a break in the rain/sprinkles. I want to get them all shredded before they go in the leaf bins so we won't have to deal with mowing moldy leaves in the spring.

What are the rest of you folks doing? Braced for the rain?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/10/2015, 7:39 am

Love your Christmas greenhouse! santa
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/13/2015, 1:35 am

Thanks, SR.

Today I raked and bagged 14 33-gallon bags of wet pear and Chinese Pistachio leaves at 4 neighbors. Then husband double-mowed the leaves into nice confetti! 462 gallons of wet leaves reduced to 105 gallons of confetti. I'm hoping to have some nice leaf mold come spring! Very Happy I learned this spring (2015) that I really need a lot of leaves, double mowed, to make one batch of nice, finished compost. Windy rain is expected tomorrow and it just feels good to have all those leaves in their cages and covered. The 6 bags of dried leaves can wait to be mowed until after the rain.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/13/2015, 1:37 pm

Well done, sanderson. Next spring you will be glad you did it in the fall.  I still have   leaves in bags, but the leaves are dray so will be easy to shred when I get round to it. I ran out of time this year. but the beauty of it is that they are not lost. Will be ready to add to grass clipping next year, whenever that day arrives.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/14/2015, 4:13 am

I found out that my husband packed the wet shredded leaves into their cages! Shocked  I wanted them all fluffy with air space so they didn't packed into impossible thick sheets/layers.  Hard to explain.  So I need to get out there Monday or Tuesday and transfer and fluff them into another large cage.  Dry leaves can wait until spring if necessary, right? Very Happy

0.22" of rain Sunday.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 12/14/2015, 12:05 pm

Sometimes the best of intentions...... Got to get some air and some green material in there soon or you'll be dealing with a stinky anaerobic mess. I still shovel out mats of leaf material that was too wet and not the right combo for good composting. They are just chunks of spore- laden fibers that don't crumble and mix well in the beds. Thank goodness I didn't leave any old blighted tomato debris from last year, because I have a hunch those spores are not just from mushrooms!. I hope you can get a batch to heat up enough to kill any pathogens- this season's temps are pretty low right now. The worms are bedding down in the center of the pile to stay warm.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/14/2015, 1:19 pm

"Mats of leaf material" That's exactly what I was trying to explain. He meant well, but it was counter productive. The leaves are for future Berkeley hot compost so there isn't anything else mixed with them. I do bury the few kitchen veggie/fruit scraps in the center but that's just because I don't have freezer space for them, so I give them to Nature instead. Yes, it looks like we are headed into freeze temps in the next few days.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22 ... 41  Next