Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Black Mold and mess Toplef10Black Mold and mess 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Black Mold and mess I22gcj10Black Mold and mess 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Black Mold and mess Toplef10Black Mold and mess 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Black Mold and mess I22gcj10Black Mold and mess 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Black Mold and mess

+3
Marc Iverson
donnainzone5
johnp
7 posters

Go down

Black Mold and mess Empty Black Mold and mess

Post  johnp 11/5/2015, 8:55 am

Well I arrived in sunny AZ this week to find that torrential rains have flooded my lower level. Black mold all around the edges of the carpet. Insurance came up with a piddling amount and said since there is no obvious exterior damage they won't pay for the interior damage. Having several restoration companies look at it this morning to remove the carpet. It looks like there may be some in the bottom of the walls. I would rather not tear out the drywall. I know they can kill the mold on the floor but will the mold (if any ) in the walls stop when fully dry? My neighbors down the street asked if they could harvest my mushrooms Rolling Eyes
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Black Mold and mess Empty Re: Black Mold and mess

Post  donnainzone5 11/5/2015, 11:59 am

I wouldn't give up just yet on the insurance.  Assuming your insurer is a reputable company, you might be able to persuade the adjuster to reconsider.

Is there any photographic evidence, such mud, debris, etc. near where the water entered your residence?  Did anyone nearby suffer similar damage?  

Also, review your policy for water damage/mold exclusions.  

It seems to me that your case is pretty clear-cut.  Unless the insurance company can show that the water damage resulted from an excluded cause, you may win out.  For example, are there any roof or plumbing leaks that could have caused such flooding?

I'm not sure about the mold in the drywall.  A qualified mold remediation company should be able to advise.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/5/2015, 1:03 pm

A letter from an attorney will often prompt an insurance company into suddenly changing its mind.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 11/5/2015, 1:28 pm

+1, Marc.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/5/2015, 1:43 pm

http://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/childrens-environmental-health/index.php#indoor-air-quality-mold

http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/7287/   "Guidelines on Assessment and Remediation of Fungi in Indoor Environments" was the first nationwide publication on indoor mold and was the generally accepted authority.

Who would have thought you needed Federal flood insurance in AZ? Shocked  Is the home a pre-fab or mobile?  I can't remember.  Wood sub-flooring?  Mold can grow under linoleum and tiles, especially with organic/mineral flood water.

John,  It's been a few years (5??) since I worked for the Environmental Health Department, but here are some generally accepted facts.  A wet carpet can only be saved if it, and the padding, are removed for thorough drying.  After 24-48 hours of wetness, it is too late as mold spores have "germinated" and are growing hyphae.  Regarding walls, remove a square(s) large enough to see inside with a flashlight and mirror.  If there are signs of flooding or wetness inside, the materials should be removed up to the flood point, the void dried, and then go from there.

I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this.  Hopefully the insurance company can up the payout some to defer some of the costs (not to mention downright inconvenience).

I wouldn't spend money on testing. It's a duh situation, meaning obvious. As far as an attorney, see if you can get a free or 30 min consultation with an AZ attorney who has some experience in mold in indoor environments, especially from flooding. Without Fed flood insurance, the regular insurance company may be being nice at paying anything at all. I hate to be such a Downer Debbie.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/5/2015, 1:51 pm

+2!  Know any lawyers, John?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 11/5/2015, 4:37 pm

It was not a flood. It was a really big rain storm. After looking at it the drywall is 100% saturated up about 3 feet on two sides of the room so that will need removing. The carpet is gone. It looks like the gutter was overwhelmed and it ran inside. This is a park model home which is basically a permanent RV with an attached room, called an AZ room here or a Florida room in Fla. That is the room that has the damage.
johnp
johnp

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/5/2015, 10:45 pm

Thank goodness it was just that room and not the house proper. Shut the door and near by windows while you work. Go in and out through the exterior door. If the drywall is saturated up to 3 feet, you can remove it at the 4' line (the width of a sheet of drywall) and replace with drywall attached horizontally. Limits the amount of cutting you have to do. Depending on electrical lines or metal framing within the walls, spray with a bleach solution and let completely dry. For the subflooring: wood sprayed with solution and dried; cement mopped or sprayed with solution and dried. If there is debris on the subflooring, remove by vacuuming thoroughly on wood or soapy mop on cement before spraying. Some people can't smell mold and others have noses like a truffle dog. When mold can't be smelled after everything is dry, it should be good to go on installing the new materials. Sounds like you may have dodged a total nightmare. Oh, and repair the gutter situation. 4-5" gutter if needed for the monsoons that AZ gets. I wonder if the prior owners had ever had this happen to them and didn't disclose?? Since it wasn't a ground flood, just rain with resulting water intrusion and damage to carpet and drywall, the insurance company should pay for it. Period. Tell them Sanderson said so. Razz

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 11/5/2015, 11:15 pm

A water line split 5 years ago at 2 am. It ran for 1/2 hour before we spotted it.
1st floor ceiling, 3 walls floor all had puddles of water.
A company came in to try to eliminate moisture, after 5 days of three 220 volt dehumidifiers working along with 5 high powered fans discharging from zipper enclosed rooms to the outside is was to no avail,
Ceiling, walls and floors had to be torn up because electronic moisture detectors detected wet spots.
Moisture inside enclosed walls is tough to deal with, our insurance covered the entire bill including $1000.00 deductable after the courts ruling that a contractor who recently refinished our bathroom was at fault.

I considered ourselves very fortunate ..Why ? in 4 hours we would have been gone for 2 weeks..imagine what we would have returned to after 2 weeks of a split 80# water line running inside a home.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/6/2015, 8:09 am

So sorry to hear about your troubles, John..... No
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 11/6/2015, 8:11 am

I got the estimate this morning and it came out less than I thought, including new carpet and tile. I am going ahead with it because the rest of the family (wife, 2 dogs, two cats) will be here right after Thanksgiving. Will fight the insurance company later. I have checked the roof and I know how to fix at least the worst part. Off to find a sheet metal company for the right stuff. We will paint the room ourselves, saving a little and the settlement we got does pay about 70% so it is not that bad.

Last edited by johnp on 11/6/2015, 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added additional words)
johnp
johnp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down