Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pickled Peppers? Toplef10Pickled Peppers? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pickled Peppers? I22gcj10Pickled Peppers? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pickled Peppers? Toplef10Pickled Peppers? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pickled Peppers? I22gcj10Pickled Peppers? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pickled Peppers?

+3
boffer
johnp
CapeCoddess
7 posters

Go down

Pickled Peppers? Empty Pickled Peppers?

Post  CapeCoddess 8/30/2015, 12:23 pm

Anyone have a recipe for refrigerator pickled peppers?  I harvest only two or three pepperoncinis every few days and would like to open the refrigerator and have a nice brine to drop them into.  

Or

If you have a way of preserving them until there's a big enough batch to can I'd like to hear that also please.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Pickled Peppers? Empty Re: Pickled Peppers?

Post  johnp 8/31/2015, 8:09 am

CC, I have a refrigerator pickle recipe for hot chilies so it should be fine with whatever kind you have.

Makes one quart.  

4 cups jalapenos
2 3/4 cups distilled white vinegar plus more if needed
1 teaspoon pickling salt
1/4 + or - cup evoo

Cut a slit in each chili

heat vinegar to almost boiling
pour  over chilies, cap with 2 piece lid but not tight and let stand for 1 to 2 weeks at room temp.

Pour off vinegar and replace with new to about 3/4 full, add salt and top with evoo
Store in frig for up to three months.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/31/2015, 10:50 am

CC, a couple years ago a few members were talking about pepper vinegar: put a slit in hot peppers and put them in a jar of white vinegar. After a few weeks, a TBS of pepper vinegar added to soup, stew, or whatever, adds a nice zing.

I make mine in a quart canning jar, and leave it on the counter for months. Surplus hot peppers go into the freezer whole, until it's time to make a new batch.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/31/2015, 12:18 pm

Thanks for the recipe, John. It's the simplest I've seen yet and will use it once I have enough peppers.

boffer wrote:CC, a couple years ago a few members were talking about pepper vinegar: put a slit in hot peppers and put them in a jar of white vinegar.  After a few weeks, a TBS of pepper vinegar added to soup, stew, or whatever, adds a nice zing.

I make mine in a quart canning jar, and leave it on the counter for months.  Surplus hot peppers go into the freezer whole, until it's time to make a new batch.

So Boffer, are you thinking I could leave a jar of vinegar out and drop the peppers in as I harvest them until I have enough to can them up?
When you put them in the freezer until you have enough? Doesn't freezing them ruin the crunch of the final product?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 8/31/2015, 5:35 pm

Anytime CC. I agree with boffer, this spring I picked two quarts of dill and poured white vinegar to fill the two jars. They are still on the kitchen window sill and sometime next month I will pour the dilled vinegar into a bottle and use it for making dill vinaigrette, use it on potato salad, tuna salad and so on.It is really good.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/31/2015, 5:43 pm

Neither my dill nor my peppers produced this year, or I would be sooo making the flavored vinegars! Yum!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8801

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/6/2015, 5:19 pm

While reading the PNW thread, Marc got me thinking about banana peppers.  I had fantastic luck with banana peppers last year but didn't grow them this year.  

I'm having a hard time getting enough pepperoncini peppers to pickle.  I wonder...
thinking
Do you think that if I pickled banana peppers with pepperoncini peppers  that the banana peppers will take on a little of the heat of the pepperoncino?  It sure would look pretty.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/8/2015, 12:15 pm

CC, no one has answered your question of combining the peppers, so give it a try anyway. Just do a small quantity.  I'd hate for you do too much, not like them and then be stuck with them.

I have  done some small jars of pickled radishes.  If I do not like them then I will toss them all I will have lost is the time as I used my own radishes as I had too many.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6014

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/8/2015, 12:31 pm

Great idea! I could put together a pint of mixed peppers and see how it goes.
Thanks!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/12/2015, 12:48 pm

I did it! I was able to harvest 24 pepperoncini peppers this morning and that made a pint of pickled peppers.Pickled Peppers? Img_2013
This is the link to the recipe I used.
http://www.blessingsoverflowing.com/refrigerator-pickled-pepperoncini-peppers/
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/12/2015, 2:14 pm

Woo-Hoo!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5603

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Pickled Peppers? Empty Bump!

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/12/2018, 7:44 pm

Many of us have peppers still going strong. Just bumping to give us some ideas of what to do!  I have a ton of a variety of them.  Toying with pickling some, maybe pepper jelly, love that stuff....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/12/2018, 8:41 pm

I have already canned 16 pints of pickled Jalapeno Peppers, and 12 pints of pickled Sweet Banana Peppers, which will be enough to get me through until next year's crop starts coming in.  Will only be using the rest of them fresh, or giving them to neighbors. Still freezing Bell Peppers for winter use in soups, etc., though.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4647

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/12/2018, 8:59 pm

OhioGardener wrote:I have already canned 16 pints of pickled Jalapeno Peppers, and 12 pints of pickled Sweet Banana Peppers, which will be enough to get me through until next year's crop starts coming in.  Will only be using the rest of them fresh, or giving them to neighbors. Still freezing Bell Peppers for winter use in soups, etc., though.
Have you ever done any jelly, OG?  I am gonna can some peppers (mixed) this weekend, but I am overwhelmed with fresh and frozen jalapeño peppers....had 2 plants last year. One this year! That thing is prolific!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/12/2018, 9:32 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Have you ever done any jelly, OG?  I am gonna can some peppers (mixed) this weekend, but I am overwhelmed with fresh and frozen jalapeño peppers....had 2 plants last year. One this year! That thing is prolific!

I haven't done any jelly, but a neighbor that I had given a bunch of Jalapeño peppers made some Jalapeño Jelly and gave me a couple jars. It is delicious, and I am thinking I may have to make some. I asked her for the recipe, but haven't gotten it yet.

I planted 6 plants each of Jalapeño, Sweet Banana, and Bell peppers, so we have more peppers than you can imagine!

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/14/2018, 5:55 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Have you ever done any jelly, OG?  I am gonna can some peppers (mixed) this weekend, but I am overwhelmed with fresh and frozen jalapeño peppers....had 2 plants last year. One this year! That thing is prolific!

I haven't done any jelly, but a neighbor that I had given a bunch of Jalapeño peppers made some Jalapeño Jelly and gave me a couple jars. It is delicious, and I am thinking I may have to make some. I asked her for the recipe, but haven't gotten it yet.

I planted 6 plants each of Jalapeño, Sweet Banana, and Bell peppers, so we have more peppers than you can imagine!
Oh my gosh!  You have to be swimming in peppers!  Jalapeños produce so many peppers!!!  I have some frozen from last season, but think I need to pickle this year’s harvest.  And make jelly!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/14/2018, 6:46 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Oh my gosh!  You have to be swimming in peppers!  Jalapeños produce so many peppers!!!  I have some frozen from last season, but think I need to pickle this year’s harvest.  And make jelly!

Swimming in peppers is a good description!  We will be pickling banana peppers tonight, and we have bell peppers freezing on trays now so we can put them in bags. Had stuffed bell peppers for dinner, too. Not going to can any more Jalapeños though - I have more than enough already canned to get me through until next year's crop. This afternoon I made 2 dozen Jalapeños Poppers, which will get me through about 4 days.  Very Happy Fortunately, we have a number of friends that love Jalapeños as much as I do, so none of them will go to waste.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/14/2018, 9:41 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Oh my gosh!  You have to be swimming in peppers!  Jalapeños produce so many peppers!!!  I have some frozen from last season, but think I need to pickle this year’s harvest.  And make jelly!

Swimming in peppers is a good description!  We will be pickling banana peppers tonight, and we have bell peppers freezing on trays now so we can put them in bags. Had stuffed bell peppers for dinner, too. Not going to can any more Jalapeños though - I have more than enough already canned to get me through until next year's crop. This afternoon I made 2 dozen Jalapeños Poppers, which will get me through about 4 days.  Very Happy  Fortunately, we have a number of friends that love Jalapeños as much as I do, so none of them will go to waste.
Ha!  I just took some to a friend’s house!  Sweet and jalapeños.  Still have a ton!  I am gonna be preserving them for sure!  I love poppers too...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down