Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along - Page 3 Toplef10The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along - Page 3 I22gcj10The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along - Page 3 Toplef10The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along - Page 3 I22gcj10The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along

+17
AtlantaMarie
CitizenKate
sanderson
Marc Iverson
mollyhespra
plantoid
CapeCoddess
llama momma
Scorpio Rising
happycamper
walshevak
littlejo
camprn
NHGardener
boffer
yolos
johnp
21 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along - Page 3 Empty Re: The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/11/2015, 7:51 am

NHG - do you have a turkey fryer?

That's what we're going to use for my Nov canning class for DNR.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along - Page 3 Empty Re: The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along

Post  mollyhespra 7/11/2015, 8:10 am

That's a good point Boffer. I'll have to check the weight limits. thanks
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/11/2015, 8:35 am

boffer wrote:SR, to quote one of our young members from a couple years ago, 'If I can do it, you can do it!'

I bet if you asked around you would find a friend or family member that would be happy for the company if you asked to watch them do their canning.

Or look for a Continuing Education  canning class or classes taught by local government agencies.
Funny that you say this boffer, my secretary said just the other day that she and her mom do a big canning day come August, when the tomatoes and beans are in full swing here.  She said come over, and we make a day of it, just the girls!  So I thought there is my intro, by a seasoned veteran no less!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/11/2015, 10:46 am

Perfect!  Some OJT will be a valuable compliment to your book learnin' !  The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along - Page 3 3170584802

I bet that you don't go home empty handed!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 7/11/2015, 10:25 pm

Rats! The side burner on my grill will definitely NOT support the weight of the canner empty, let alone full.

Plan B: find the single electric burner I have somewhere and see if that will do the trick...
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/12/2015, 9:41 am

boffer wrote:Perfect!  Some OJT will be a valuable compliment to your book learnin' !  The Great Challenge - Your Fears Pressure-Can-Along - Page 3 3170584802

I bet that you don't go home empty handed!  
Oooooo!  Yeah, I bet you're right!  Collateral benefit!  Lol
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/12/2015, 2:41 pm

Oh my gosh, this is all so complicated for my little pea brain. No wonder you guys are nervous. I have a pressure canner / cooker called a Fagor. No rattling, no jiggling, no bumping, no anything. Just turn it on, wait a few minutes for the orange button to pop up, turn down the heat to the mark I've made on my stove dial that is perfect for my canner , set the timer on the stove for the recipe you are canning, walk away and clean the house, come back when it's ready to be turned off. No hassle. I never knew pressure canning was so complicated because this is the only one I've ever seen or tried.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/13/2015, 12:01 pm

I looked into the Fagor canner before I got our 22 &1/2 quart All American Canner .

Just to clarify things for safety sake.

" The 10 quart Fagor " is the only one in their range recommended to use for pressure canning as at this size the amount of heat with in it is sufficient to sterilize the food within .

The smaller ones don't have the same amount of heat available internally once the pressure is up  to be able to penetrate the volumes of food in the containers enough to wholly ensure total safe sterilization of the jars contents .

It is for this reason that the smaller volume ones are not used to be used for any pressure canning .  The same applies to all other brands of smaller pressure cookers as well .

Safe canning folks.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/14/2015, 7:29 am

So....  Uh....  How 'bout some updates from those of you who were going to try it over the weekend??

Inquisitive minds want to know how it went!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 7/14/2015, 9:49 am

Well, I was all set to go when I realized that the side burner on the grill would not hold up the weight of the canner. I know I have a single electric burner somewhere that might work but the interruption of the original disappointment was enough to let other things side track me and so that is where I'm at. Embarassed

I need to set a new goal: find the single electric burner this week so that I can try again next weekend. cyclops
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/14/2015, 1:05 pm

Uh, . . . Embarassed Actually, I spent that time blanching and freezing produce for use later. Plus, spent the last 3 days harvesting, pruning, top dressing and applying a thick layer of chopped straw as a mulch. Hoping this helps with BER as well as general survival for the rest of the hot summer. That's my story and I'm sticking with it

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 7/14/2015, 1:45 pm

Well, I was going to non-pressure cook my strawberry preserves in the breadmaker and then store them in the boiled mason jars and boil it all for 5 or 10 more minutes BUT I didn't have tongs and then I did have tongs but didn't feel like doing it right then and then the strawberries started to get mushy in the fridge so I just trimmed the good ones and put them in the freezer............

I guess it's going to have to wait until next year, unless I feel like preserving once-frozen berries.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 7/14/2015, 1:46 pm

sanderson wrote:Plus, spent the last 3 days harvesting, pruning, top dressing and applying a thick layer of chopped straw as a mulch.  Hoping this helps with BER as well as general survival for the rest of the hot summer.

What's BER?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 7/14/2015, 1:53 pm

Blossom end rot.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 7/14/2015, 2:14 pm

Thank you!

Even if it doesn't alleviate the BER, I love mulch. I'm crazy about mulch. I could marry mulch.

LOL.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/14/2015, 2:57 pm

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/14/2015, 5:00 pm

NHGardener wrote:Well, I was going to non-pressure cook my strawberry preserves in the breadmaker and then store them in the boiled mason jars and boil it all for 5 or 10 more minutes BUT I didn't have tongs and then I did have tongs but didn't feel like doing it right then and then the strawberries started to get mushy in the fridge so I just trimmed the good ones and put them in the freezer............

I guess it's going to have to wait until next year, unless I feel like preserving once-frozen berries.
What kind of a breadmaker do you have? How do you get the preserves to cook without making a mess? (I'm such a klutz)  Gosh, I'm just curious.

I keep a freezer bag for whatever fruit. I add fruit, cleaned and topped, til I get enough to can. I've not noticed a difference in flavor, but, I've been doing this a long time.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 7/14/2015, 5:43 pm

I have a Breadman breadmaker. I never knew it made preserves until I was thumbing through the recipe booklet recently and saw the instructions for preserves. I like the recipe because it only calls for strawberries and sugar - nothing else. How easy.

I'm not really stuck on the making of them, but just on the preserving part. I don't think I can eat that much strawberry preserves in one shot. Well, I might try it anyway. I think it was 3 cups mashed strawberries to 5 cups sugar.

Edit: I see it's actually jam, not preserves.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/15/2015, 12:08 am

You can send the extra strawberry jam this way! Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 7/16/2015, 5:04 pm

Read my instructions twice. Going to be brave and do a four cups of water trial run as the instructions said. I have stolen my wife's two burner propane pot cooker out of her weaving storage shed. She will never know. Rolling Eyes
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/17/2015, 7:51 am

How'd it go, JohnP?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 7/17/2015, 8:22 am

Started well. Ran out of propane. Will retry today.
johnp
johnp

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/17/2015, 1:33 pm

Razz

Working up the nerve to try it and sneaking the wife's stove must have distracted you from the basic essentials.

Reminds me of the weeks long chaotic preparation for our family car vacation, then running out of gas 10 miles from home as we started out on our trip. My dad never lived that one down!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/17/2015, 2:42 pm

rofl

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 7/17/2015, 2:51 pm

I think she knew all along that I was going to use her equipment. I think she knew how low her bottle was and now I get to refill it for her. Off to the propane store this afternoon and will try again tomorrow. If I was a car thief I would probably steal the one car with no gas in it. Cool

Will report the dry run tomorrow.
johnp
johnp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next