Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 Toplef10My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 I22gcj10My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 Toplef10My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 I22gcj10My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My First SFG...Work in progress

+11
CitizenKate
AtlantaMarie
Tilth
CapeCoddess
Windmere
mschaef
ralitaco
slimbolen99
trolleydriver
sanderson
clm2112
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 Empty Re: My First SFG...Work in progress

Post  Kelejan 5/24/2015, 11:41 pm

sanderson wrote:CLM,  Those are outstanding!!  You can also add bridal tulle against the white butterfly/green caterpillar or sun shade.  My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 3170584802  

And/or plastic for frost protection.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 Empty Re: My First SFG...Work in progress

Post  Kelejan 5/24/2015, 11:43 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Great work CLM ... my cages look quite rough compared to your well crafted design.

Don't fret, TD. I don't think your veggies will worry about a little rough work so long as it is solid. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  clm2112 5/28/2015, 12:35 pm

First Sprouts!

First to come up, the Cherry Bell Radishes.  Square 1 has 14 growing plants, two have not made it to the surface...have to wait and see if they germinate.  Square 9 has 16 growing plants out of 16 planted.

Square 8 is showing two of the four Simpson Lettuce plants just peeking through.

Off and running! My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 3170584802 

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 Garden22

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 Garden23

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 Garden24
clm2112
clm2112

Male Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/28/2015, 12:58 pm

cheers
They are so adorable when they're just coming up.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/28/2015, 3:16 pm

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 5/29/2015, 7:55 am

I love when the plants break through the soil, it is such a wondrous event.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  clm2112 5/31/2015, 3:46 pm

Despite the rain, heat, and humidity (Ok, I spent 22 years in Central Florida, so I really have no right to complain now) I did manage to get get some more done on the SFG.

Finished loading mix into the second frame, so I can plant it tomorrow. Need to make another chicken wire cover for it.  Also took in some refugee Geraniums and got the compost bin cooking again.  Moved a lot of rock, which really takes the motivation right outta me.

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 Garden10

More of the plants in the first frame have poked their heads up.

The two AWOL radish plants sprouted finally. One turned up in the same spot as another (I must have dropped the seed in the wrong hole during planting) and the other is up but not looking healthy.  I'll give it another day and see if the two leaves uncurl.

A few of the spinach plants are up above soil level.  All of the lettuce plants are up.  That just leaves the beets.

On the plus side, I am really appreciating the no-weed situation.  Makes identifying the plant a whole lot easier. Several of the varieties I planted in the frame are new to me...I have no idea what they are supposed to look like during their development cycle.  Not having any stray plants popping to confuse the situation is helpful.
clm2112
clm2112

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/1/2015, 12:38 am

clm2112 wrote:On the plus side, I am really appreciating the no-weed situation.  Makes identifying the plant a whole lot easier. Several of the varieties I planted in the frame are new to me...I have no idea what they are supposed to look like during their development cycle.  Not having any stray plants popping to confuse the situation is helpful.
That's a big plus for SFG.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/2/2015, 12:38 am

sanderson wrote:
clm2112 wrote:On the plus side, I am really appreciating the no-weed situation.  Makes identifying the plant a whole lot easier. Several of the varieties I planted in the frame are new to me...I have no idea what they are supposed to look like during their development cycle.  Not having any stray plants popping to confuse the situation is helpful.
That's a big plus for SFG.

I remember when I first started, I did not have a clue what anything was as the first leaves all seemed alike, so I was grateful that I could weed anything out of the set pattern and be fairly sure that it was something unwanted.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 Empty Little status update

Post  clm2112 8/14/2015, 5:29 pm

About 2/3rds of the way through growing season.  Figured I would give a little status update.  Some thing grew great, some were a complete bust.

The plants that did very well:

Cherry Bell Radishes!  On my fourth planting of these little fellows.  They do extremely well.

Black Seeded Simpson Leaf Lettuce - Kinda slow getting started, but now they get a haircut about once a week to keep from bolting.

Zucchini - Yeah, this is Western PA, need not say much more.  They are taking over the corner of the garden near the compost pile.  Two dozen fruits so far and they are still blossoming.

So-So plantings:

Iceberg Head Lettuce - Took a long time, but it is finally up and getting trimmed as leaves mature to salad size.  Probably skip this all together next year and plant more leaf lettuce of different varieties instead.

Jupiter Beets - first planting withered and died before getting more than a few inches tall.  Only two survivors.  Second planting did better, with about half of them now in the 1foot tall size.  Cross this off the list for next year after I sow the remaining seeds directly into the ground.

Blue Lake bush beans - first planting died off, 2nd planting in 1 square foot bucket beds is just coming up now.  Started them like bean sprouts in a mason jar and only planted the ones that sprouted.  They might make it to harvest, I have covers for the buckets to help when the first frost of fall comes along.  It's a roll of the dice, but I have nothing to loose by trying.

Absolute failures:

Burpee "Big Bunches" Spinach - two attempt to grow from seed, nothing ever got above ground.  I'll sow what is left in the packet in the ground next year just to see if anything comes up, but not wasting any valuable real estate on them.

Furball hiding out under the Geraniums:

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 Garden11

Buckets with little bean plants just coming up...

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 Garden12

And the three 3x3 frames.  Last frame is just being sown with radishes.  As the other two frames are harvested, probably going to plant garlic in them to winter over.

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 Garden13

Plan for the rest of the summer and into the fall is to expand the bucket garden.  I keep getting the buckets as freebies from my brother.  They are throw-aways from the local grocery store where he works.  I just cut the bottom out, plant them on a piece of landscape cloth, then fill them with mix.  So, next to nothing out of pocket to keep adding buckets.  Probably put beans and squash in them next year.  Also need to fence in the garden.  The chicken wire is effective at keeping the birds from picking the seeds, but it is no match for the deer, racoons, and groundhogs.
clm2112
clm2112

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/14/2015, 5:58 pm

Nice, clm, and hello from Ohio! You have some great looking boxes in a good location too. Sounds like you are learning what is working for you and not so much, I think we all are. And changes from year to year, depending on the weather, pests, etc.

flower
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/14/2015, 9:52 pm

CLM,  Thank you for the update and photos!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/15/2015, 6:51 am

Looks great, CLM.  Thanks for the update.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  clm2112 11/9/2015, 7:05 pm

Well, growing season pretty much ended this morning.  I dodged the first frost by covering up the beds with sheets.  It bought me another few weeks of growing time.  Last night the temps must have dipped below the freezing point again, everything was covered in frost this morning. (Grrr, according to the weather forecast, it was not supposed to dip that low overnight.)

I did manage to harvest the last of the leaf lettuce, beets, and radishes.  Tomorrow I'll mix up the soil in the beds and plant a few squares of garlic to winter over, then start getting prepped for winter really getting started.  (already in winter maintenance mode... doing the regular maintenance on the Farmall, have four chords of firewood stacked up, just getting everything buttoned up before the first snow.)

See Y'all next spring! Wink
clm2112
clm2112

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/9/2015, 7:15 pm

May I suggest that you write your first & last frost dates in your ANSFG book .. over the years you have a much better idea of when yours will occur.

he stuff you read in the gardening books is an average guesstimate using weather station data ,  whereas the true picture in your precise location can be affected by all manner of things such as  hills , wood land  , orientation to the sun etc etc.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/9/2015, 9:52 pm

Hi, clm! Just wanted to invite you to post on the NC & Midwest thread also, as we all experience similar weather and climates...as well as our individual struggles!!!!

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/10/2015, 2:48 am

CLM,  Please keep in touch during the winter.  Last winter we had stories, jokes, and photos from southern folks.  If you are a SFGer, could you add your comments to "Calling on all Members" as to what SFG means to you?  Even a couple of sentences.

PS Oh, duhh, I just saw your photo of your boxes. That photo would be great with your comments in the above topic. So, how did you like your first year of SFG?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  clm2112 11/10/2015, 5:48 am

Overall, SFG was a worthwhile experiment this year.  I'll expand the area to eight 3x3 frames and triple the bucket farm area.  That will pretty much fill up the area around the cistern.  The hexagonal pad of concrete at the end of the area is going to become a geodesic greenhouse.

The fields are just going to get a planting of buckwheat.  Most of the farm activity next year is going to revolve around taking timber instead of crops. Sadly, the Emerald Ash Borer has done a number on a lot of trees.  So, I have to take down the dying trees and salvage the wood before they fall down of their own accord.
clm2112
clm2112

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/10/2015, 7:48 am

CLM, I have noticed the farmers around here are putting in more cover crops too, whether it be oil seed mustard, winter rye or buckwheat. Good practices, old fashioned. The EAB has decimated the trees here too. Sad.

Like sanderson said, keep on posting! We learn year-round, and it is fun to get to know each other!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  clm2112 11/10/2015, 8:28 am

Yep, it is old fashioned.  But it is still good practice none the less.  My fields are all on slopes.  So, to keep erosion from putting my topsoil into the Monongahela River, I have to put something in them.  It might as well be something that will add organic matter to the soil when it is plowed under (and the honey bees will dig it Wink ).  It will be interesting to get the soil report back from Penn State Ag Extension next year.  Last years was Ok, but not great.  If this years is better, then perhaps a different grain will get planted instead of buckwheat.

If the El Nino forecast proves true, it will be a mild, but drier, winter for this area. Just have to wait and see what actually happens.  It will be a zero-impact on the SFG garden, except perhaps an earlier first planting.
clm2112
clm2112

Back to top Go down

Post  clm2112 3/25/2016, 7:04 am

SFG wintered over well, it has been a mild winter.  No signs of life from the garlic yet.  This weekend will be the first planting of 2016
clm2112
clm2112

Back to top Go down

Post  clm2112 3/25/2016, 7:16 am

Biggest change has been the process of tree removal over the winter.  Mostly along the south and east side of the garden area.  More sunlight in the morning hours.

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 2 Droppi10
clm2112
clm2112

Back to top Go down

Post  clm2112 3/25/2016, 7:57 am

Oh, in the sad news department.  Furball didn't make it through the winter.  I found him one morning during deer season (first week in December.)  He had died from a large wound in his shoulder, with a large chunk of flesh missing.  He may have tangled with a fox or coyote, or possibly shot by a hunter.  No way to tell.  He was getting rather bold in his adventures, disappearing for a few days at a time, even accompanying me into the woods and climbing up into the tree stands with me.

So, he will not be around the garden this year Sad
clm2112
clm2112

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/25/2016, 9:46 am

Hey CLM, glad to see you made it back to the forum too.
First off, I'm sorry to hear about Furball, our old cat, Lilly, was not doing well and she wandered off this winter. We haven't seen her since.

I had just cut down some trees in my yard and my body didn't appreciate it. Those trees of yours look quite large. I hope you had help and more that just that wheel barrow. Smile

ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  clm2112 3/25/2016, 10:08 am

Unfortunately, not much help.

The ones closest to the house had their tops taken out by a contractor (they were clearing power lines and wanted to make a little money on the side...took them only an evening to take the tops out of 30 trees, but it took me six months to clean up the mess!)

The rest of the trees are being taken down one at a time by me and a pair of chainsaws.  Fortunately, living on the farm allows me to burn brush, so as each tree is taken down, all the branches are stripped and burned.  I'm averaging about two days to process one of the 80 to 90 foot tall trees.  Drop them in the field, clean off the branches, walk them over to the burn pile in the field, cut the trunks into 12 foot lengths to feed into the bandsaw mill this summer.  Rinse, refill, and repeat. Smile
clm2112
clm2112

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next