Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
discovered this forum from Youtube comments Toplef10discovered this forum from Youtube comments 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

discovered this forum from Youtube comments I22gcj10discovered this forum from Youtube comments 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
discovered this forum from Youtube comments Toplef10discovered this forum from Youtube comments 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

discovered this forum from Youtube comments I22gcj10discovered this forum from Youtube comments 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

discovered this forum from Youtube comments

+6
yolos
Kelejan
CapeCoddess
AtlantaMarie
jimmy cee
Razed Bed
10 posters

Go down

discovered this forum from Youtube comments Empty discovered this forum from Youtube comments

Post  Razed Bed 4/1/2015, 5:58 pm

hello from the greater nashville area.  my dumb phone will not allow me to capitalize letters or use any other punctuation besides a period.

i found this forum after watching a video on youtube from a dedicated dude who convinced me to add rock dust to my compost.

i have been using the sfg method since the book came out but missed last year due to way too much work and other things.  my wife and i have an organic csa with a great farm and thus do not grow a lot of staple garden things.  we do not eat tomatoes or other nightshades so we concentrate on growing nutrient rich foods like kale collards beets turnips lettuces onions garlic and a few others veggies like cucumbers japanese sweet potatoes and trying rutabagas this year.  we must share some of our produce with a couple of rabbits that call our yard home and somehow avoid becoming food for coyotes bobcats and two owls that also live in our yard and love to watch us garden.

we have three large plastic garbage cans full of mels mix and a large compost bin.  thanks to another youtuber known as reaganite seventy one we make complete compost in about a fortnight.

i have been reading a lot of this forum and hope to learn more and prove that an old dog can learn tricks of any age.  and hopefully get a new computer soon after my dozen year old laptop bid the bits and bytes adieu in february.

i met a sfg tutor three years ago at a farmers market.  hopefully she contributes here.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

discovered this forum from Youtube comments Empty Re: discovered this forum from Youtube comments

Post  jimmy cee 4/1/2015, 10:45 pm

Just treat this season's planting as if you did it last season.
One of the great advantages of Mel's Mix, add a trowel full of compost, mix and plant...your on the way...
Welcome to our group
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

discovered this forum from Youtube comments Empty Re: discovered this forum from Youtube comments

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/2/2015, 11:52 am

Hi Razed Bed.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA!  Glad you found us.

Looking forward to see what you guys do w/ your garden!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/2/2015, 12:20 pm

glad you\'re here Razed Bed. Hope you can post photos. I look forward to seeing your greens as I grow and eat lot of greens also. My cat, Miss Lilly, keeps the critters out.

Razed Bed wrote: we do not eat tomatoes or other nightshades so we concentrate on growing nutrient rich foods like kale collards beets turnips lettuces onions garlic and a few others veggies like cucumbers japanese sweet potatoes and trying rutabagas this year. 
Stopping the nightshades would be a radical move for me, but one that needs to happen...some year.  For now I'm on a huge pepperoncini jag.

What varieties of kale and collards are you growing?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/2/2015, 1:05 pm

Hi, Razed Bed. glad you\'re here  from Canada .
I hope that littorally you do not raze you beds.

How do you make make your complete compost in three weeks? Enquiring minds would love to know.   Please!
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/2/2015, 4:04 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:glad you\'re here Razed Bed. Hope you can post photos.  I look forward to seeing your greens as I grow and eat lot of greens also.  My cat, Miss Lilly, keeps the critters out.  

Razed Bed wrote: we do not eat tomatoes or other nightshades so we concentrate on growing nutrient rich foods like kale collards beets turnips lettuces onions garlic and a few others veggies like cucumbers japanese sweet potatoes and trying rutabagas this year. 
Stopping the nightshades would be a radical move for me, but one that needs to happen...some year.  For now I'm on a huge pepperoncini jag.

What varieties of kale and collards are you growing?

CC
Why should we stop eating nightshades.  Is there some problem with them.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/2/2015, 5:16 pm

yolos wrote: Why should we stop eating nightshades.  Is there some problem with them.
I'm also curious. They are a mainstay for me. Shocked

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/2/2015, 5:17 pm

I don't know Razed Bed's reasoning, but for me they can cause my arthritis to act up. I'm experimenting this year to see if different varieties have differing affects, and maybe one may have no affect. That would be nice.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 4/2/2015, 8:50 pm

I still grow them, but my husband is allergic to tomatoes, they get his sinuses going like crazy. I'm not sure if it extends to the other varieties of nightshades.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

discovered this forum from Youtube comments Empty Razed beds

Post  kauairosina 4/2/2015, 9:12 pm

Welcome Razed Beds.  We would love to have more success with nightshades.  So send them this way.  Our tomatoes are getting blossom end rot (any one know what to do about that?) and we have not had much luck with potatoes.  We sure could use them.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

discovered this forum from Youtube comments Empty Replies

Post  Razed Bed 4/2/2015, 11:05 pm

We grow lacinato kale, but I do not know for sure what type of collard.  It is in a brown paper bag from an organic farmer who gave us some to grow.  She also gave us some Malabar spinach cuttings.

As for no nightshades, my wife has us  following the auto-immune paleo diet to help with inflammation.  She believes I am nightshade intolerant.

For the quick compost method, check out Reaganite71 on YouTube.  The video to look for is: grass to garden soil in 14 days.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/3/2015, 12:38 pm

kauairosina wrote:  Our tomatoes are getting blossom end rot (any one know what to do about that?)

From the archives: Epsom salts and powdered milk were suggested. Worked for me! I mean, my tomatoes! If I remember 2 years ago, about 1/4 cup of each per plant.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/3/2015, 12:55 pm

sanderson wrote:
kauairosina wrote:  Our tomatoes are getting blossom end rot (any one know what to do about that?)

From the archives: Epsom salts and powdered milk were suggested.  Worked for me!  I mean, my tomatoes!  If I remember 2 years ago, about 1/4 cup of each per plant.
and a consistent water regimen.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

discovered this forum from Youtube comments WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 4/3/2015, 1:17 pm

camprn - In keeping with what we said recently, and how blossom end rot can be from over or underwatering the tomatoes, it goes back to not overwatering tomatoes. I wonder if that would fix a lot of cases of blossom end rot.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down