Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 Toplef10frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 I22gcj10frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 Toplef10frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 I22gcj10frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

A really, really Frugal Gardener

+25
littlejo
BeetlesPerSqFt
Mellen
Scorpio Rising
countrynaturals
donnainzone5
trolleydriver
Windmere
landarch
Triciasgarden
Cajun Cappy
AtlantaMarie
camprn
cricket
Turan
rabbithutch
nurzemjd
llama momma
boffer
grownsunshine
CapeCoddess
sanderson
jrfrommd
Marc Iverson
Kelejan
29 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 Empty Re: A really, really Frugal Gardener

Post  Mellen 3/11/2017, 11:56 am

RC3291 wrote:This kind of goes with your number one. If it doesn't germinate plant some more. Then it will all come up.
  Razz  Yep...& I always learn things the hard way, usually as a result of my enthusiasm.
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 Empty Re: A really, really Frugal Gardener

Post  GWN 3/11/2017, 1:03 pm

frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 Img_1611

I put all of those seedlings that were going to be VERY slow, like rosemary and thyme in the Toilet rolls,   They have been quite happy for this past month I DO have a greenhouse, but hate starting to heat it too early in the year. So keeping them in small pots has been a way to keep my plants from taking over all of my house  Smile
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  RC3291 3/11/2017, 2:40 pm

In my efforts to be frugal I had a work bench in my storage shed for about 20 years. Added some hardware cloth around the outside and made a door in it. Moved it to the back covered patio and I have a brooder for baby chicks. When I'm not brooding I keep chicken and gardening supplies inside. Top serves as my work bench for my gardening. Eggs to eat, shells for compost or to keep slugs and snails a bay. It's amazing how much manure four chickens can produce for the compost pile too. I take the plants and soil out of my peat pots when transplanting and cut about an inch ring off the top of the used pots and place them around plants in my containers to keep the mulch pushed back away from the stems of the plants. Tear up the rest of the pot and throw it in my compost. My raised bed is made from two 2x10's that were a handicap ramp for my dog that tore her ACL 15 years ago. My trellis for my cucumbers is made from some left over concrete reinforcing wire from building my shed. Hey I'm cleaning out my shed too. I'm eyeing a kiddie swimming pool I bought for my dogs to cool off in during the hot part of summer. They never use it and I'm looking for a place to plant some strawberries. Now to find a place for it where the dogs won't get in it.
RC3291
RC3291

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/11/2017, 2:52 pm

Mellen wrote:
RC3291 wrote:This kind of goes with your number one. If it doesn't germinate plant some more. Then it will all come up.
  Razz  Yep...& I always learn things the hard way, usually as a result of my enthusiasm.

I feel that learning things the hard way makes it stick and one seldom repeats any mistakes.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/11/2017, 7:25 pm

RC3291
You seem to be a dog lover AND a frugal gardener.
My raised bed is made from two 2x10's that were a handicap ramp for my dog that tore her ACL 15 years ago.

Is that the dog in the picture?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  RC3291 3/12/2017, 9:41 am

No it was a different dog. She crossed the rainbow bridge about 11 years ago. She was a border collie mix. The one in the picture is the oldest of the two I have now. She's a four years old chow/golden retriever mix. The other is a lab mix, had her first birthday yesterday. I have a friend that calls me a pack rat yet every time he does a project he complains he threw something away a month ago.
RC3291
RC3291

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/12/2017, 11:11 am

every time he does a project he complains he threw something away a month ago.

So every pack rat has his limits......

The cool thing about making things out of stuff you have pack ratted, is that not only do you do something for free... but you also clean a small part of your house Smile
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/12/2017, 11:50 am

Like families who adopt, then turn up pregnant. Who says Nature doesn't have a sense of humor. rofl
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/12/2017, 11:54 am

RC3291 wrote:In my efforts to be frugal I had a work bench in my storage shed for about 20 years. Added some hardware cloth around the outside and made a door in it. Moved it to the back covered patio and I have a brooder for baby chicks. When I'm not brooding I keep chicken and gardening supplies inside. Top serves as my work bench for my gardening. Eggs to eat, shells for compost or to keep slugs and snails a bay. It's amazing how much manure four chickens can produce for the compost pile too. I take the plants and soil out of my peat pots when transplanting and cut about an inch ring off the top of the used pots and place them around plants in my containers to keep the mulch pushed back away from the stems of the plants. Tear up the rest of the pot and throw it in my compost. My raised bed is made from two 2x10's that were a handicap ramp for my dog that tore her ACL 15 years ago. My trellis for my cucumbers is made from some left over concrete reinforcing wire from building my shed. Hey I'm cleaning out my shed too. I'm eyeing a kiddie swimming pool I bought for my dogs to cool off in during the hot part of summer. They never use it and I'm looking for a place to plant some strawberries. Now to find a place for it where the dogs won't get in it.
If there's a prize for the "Frugalist Gardener" I vote for you. I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/12/2017, 11:57 am

GWN wrote:
 every time he does a project he complains he threw something away a month ago.

So every pack rat has his limits......

The cool thing about making things out of stuff you have pack ratted, is that not only do you do something for free... but you also clean a small part of your house Smile
And keep it out of the land fill. frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 3170584802
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/21/2017, 3:43 pm

I have a perfect little strawberry that I want to leave on the plant until it's really ripe. Today I asked Katie if she has any little tulle drawstring bags. The answer was "no" but she brought me a Dollar Tree bath scrubber. I took it apart and got 3 yards of tubular nylon netting. I made a strawberry sock out of about 2" of it. Now we'll see if it works. (The plastic container underneath is from a steamer TV dinner.)

frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 Scrubb10
frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 Scrubb11
frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 Strawb14
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/21/2017, 4:27 pm

Kelejan wrote:
Mellen wrote:

I feel that learning things the hard way makes it stick and one seldom repeats any mistakes.

Browsing through this thread I came across something I wrote, so in answer to myself, I must state that I made a good choice of a husband the second time around. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/22/2017, 1:32 pm

KJ, Very Happy

CN, clever!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/22/2017, 3:17 pm

sanderson wrote:KJ, Very Happy

CN, clever!
So far, so good. Razz to all birds and slugs trying to steal my strawberries!
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz 6/22/2017, 8:06 pm

I love discovering these old threads when you guys revive them.  Laughing  I would have never thought to use hula hoops from the dollar store (way back in this thread) to make hoop houses - cool idea!

I love getting gardening stuff from the dollar store. Most of my pots, bamboo trellises, and bamboo stakes are from there.

The most frugal thing I did was make my SFG bed out of old bricks that had been sitting in my in-laws garage for over 20 years. They were happy to see them go, haha.
Fiz
Fiz

Male Posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/23/2017, 11:28 pm

Fiz, Dollar World, 99 Cent Store, are fun to browse for items that can be used in the garden or repurposed for the garden.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/23/2017, 11:59 pm

sanderson wrote:Fiz,  Dollar World, 99 Cent Store, are fun to browse for items that can be used in the garden or repurposed for the garden.
One time I found real leather garden gloves at Dollar Tree. I can't believe I only bought one pair. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 Empty Grid Ideas

Post  countrynaturals 10/22/2017, 12:28 pm

Just bought the ANSFG book, getting ready for my first MM bed. I had planned on doing all carrots and not messing with grids, but Mel talked me into making it a "patchwork quilt" with other root crops. The problem is, I've already blown the budget on MM (and full-spectrum LED grow lights for winter Rolling Eyes ) so I started scrounging around the property for grid materials. VOILA! Corn stalks! They're absolutely perfect! Next week, after my MM arrives and I get this bed finished, I'll post the "after" pics. Cool
frugal - A really, really Frugal Gardener - Page 4 Grds10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/22/2017, 7:24 pm

Love it!I love you
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/23/2017, 3:30 am

Clever!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/26/2017, 12:23 am

Fiz wrote:I love discovering these old threads when you guys revive them.  Laughing  I would have never thought to use hula hoops from the dollar store (way back in this thread) to make hoop houses - cool idea!

I love getting gardening stuff from the dollar store. Most of my pots, bamboo trellises, and bamboo stakes are from there.

The most frugal thing I did was make my SFG bed out of old bricks that had been sitting in my in-laws garage for over 20 years. They were happy to see them go, haha.
I remember this post as the next day I went to the two stores in our town and neither one had any hoops. Sad
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/26/2017, 2:12 pm

Kelejan wrote:
Fiz wrote:I love discovering these old threads when you guys revive them.  Laughing  I would have never thought to use hula hoops from the dollar store (way back in this thread) to make hoop houses - cool idea!

I remember this post as the next day I went to the two stores in our town and neither one had any hoops. Sad
My ANSFG bed will be made from 1 gal. nursery pots. I can't wait! bounce Hopefully, tomorrow. sunny
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/8/2017, 2:57 am

Hit Dollar World today for storage boxes for various garden supplies storage and anything else that I might need.  $35 for lots of goodies!   Very Happy I won't tell you how much I spent next door at OSH (west coast store) for canning jars and supplies, large sweet potato tote and large storage boxes for shade cloth, etc. Embarassed

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/8/2017, 12:04 pm

sanderson wrote:Hit Dollar World today for storage boxes for various garden supplies storage and anything else that I might need.  $35 for lots of goodies!   Very Happy  I won't tell you how much I spent next door at OSH (west coast store) for canning jars and supplies, large sweet potato tote and large storage boxes for shade cloth, etc. Embarassed
I love OSH, but frugal it ain't. affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/8/2017, 2:22 pm

No, it is not the cheapest, but it has wonderful service, nice products and no fuss returns.  It's like a neighborhood store.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next