Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rhubarb and Asparagus Toplef10Rhubarb and Asparagus 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rhubarb and Asparagus I22gcj10Rhubarb and Asparagus 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rhubarb and Asparagus Toplef10Rhubarb and Asparagus 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rhubarb and Asparagus I22gcj10Rhubarb and Asparagus 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rhubarb and Asparagus

4 posters

Go down

Rhubarb and Asparagus Empty Rhubarb and Asparagus

Post  Denese 5/13/2014, 8:14 pm

Haven't posted in a while, but I have a question.  I have a couple of rhubarb plants that I want to move.  I've built a box for them, 5' x 4' x 8".  My question is; should I still put the weed block down, or leave it open in the bottom.  I'm not really sure how deep the roots go down.  I've also built a 4' x 3' x 12" box for some asparagus, as well.  Same question; should I put weed block down under it? Thank you for your assistance.

sunny
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Rhubarb and Asparagus Empty I think it is Mel's advice

Post  kauairosina 5/13/2014, 9:21 pm

not to put weed block under the asparagus bed.  Don't know anything about rhubarb.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Rhubarb and Asparagus Empty Re: Rhubarb and Asparagus

Post  mollyhespra 5/13/2014, 10:45 pm

I had to divide a 4-5 yr old Rhubarb plant a few years back and was amazed at the size of the roots on that monster: thick and long and rugged.  I don't think weed barrier would stop those roots from going wherever they pleased, but it would probably help keep the weeds from coming up from below, so I'd say put it down, and just let the roots do their own thing. 

As to my Asparagus, before I planted them years ago, I read where their roots can reach waaaaaay down into the ground (four feet or more), so I just put them in an non-SFG area where they can do their thing.  I don't know how they'd deal with a weed barrier, though.  I imagine they'd be able to poke through, but those roots don't seem as rugged as the Rhubarb, so I can't venture an opinion.

HTH & good luck.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/14/2014, 8:26 am

mollyhespra wrote:I had to divide a 4-5 yr old Rhubarb plant a few years back and was amazed at the size of the roots on that monster: thick and long and rugged. 
Mollyhespra How did you figure out the rhubarb needed to be divided and what time of year did you divide up the rhubarb? I've had mine in the same spot for 8 or so years. It doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. Maybe it's unhappy where it is? Should it have full sun? It's in a spot now that gets a bit of shade. Love making strawberry rhubarb jam, so it would be great if the plant produced more.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Rhubarb and Asparagus Empty Thank you!

Post  Denese 5/15/2014, 8:27 am

thanks Thank you all for your responses.  I think I will leave the weed block out on both since it seems the roots on both need some extra room to go deep.  These rhubarb plants were here when we moved in back in 1997.  We've been able to harvest a few stalks each year, but the stalks were not that big.  They are in a mostly shaded area once the trees leaf out each year.  I'm really hoping for a larger harvest, so I can freeze some each year.  That's why I'm moving them to an area that gets more sun.

Growing asparagus is something new for me.  I love asparagus drooling  and want to make sure I give the plants a good start.  I purchased the Jersey Giant variety, because they are male only and I don't want to deal with weeding out seed starts.  Since it's just my husband and me, I'm only putting in 12 plants.  He's not much a fan, so I think this should be enough.
I've also added a box for strawberries, cleared an area for some raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries, and added another box for veggies, this year. Very Happy 

I became the grandma and primary babysitter for a beautiful grandson 2 years ago, rahrah so my gardening has been somewhat on hold for a couple years.  He'll be 2 at the end of this month, and is now big enough to help grandma, and seems to enjoy it.  I'm looking forward to sharing this with him.
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/15/2014, 1:50 pm

lyndeeloo wrote:
mollyhespra wrote:I had to divide a 4-5 yr old Rhubarb plant a few years back and was amazed at the size of the roots on that monster: thick and long and rugged. 
Mollyhespra How did you figure out the rhubarb needed to be divided and what time of year did you divide up the rhubarb? I've had mine in the same spot for 8 or so years. It doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. Maybe it's unhappy where it is? Should it have full sun? It's in a spot now that gets a bit of shade. Love making strawberry rhubarb jam, so it would be great if the plant produced more.
Count the number of crowns in your clump.  I had 12, so that's 10-11 too many.  Early spring is a good time, but really, it's hard to kill rhubarb, so just divide it when you can, and if you can't separate some of the babies without damaging them, just let them be. Once they get bigger you'll be able to sort them out. I gave away a bunch of babies, planted a couple back again in the original hole only to have to move it to a new site the next year. 

As I'm looking at it this year, I'm thinking of moving it again, but it's already got 6 or so new babies, so I might divide it again since I have to move it anyway.  The spot that I thought was OK showed me that it wasn't when the whole plant went dormant waaaaay early last summer.  DH kept teasing that I was the only person he knew that had killed a rhubarb, but I said it wasn't dead, just went into dormancy early because it didn't like where I put it.

Guess who was right?   Wink
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/16/2014, 8:19 am

mollyhespra wrote:As I'm looking at it this year, I'm thinking of moving it again, but it's already got 6 or so new babies, so I might divide it again since I have to move it anyway.  The spot that I thought was OK showed me that it wasn't when the whole plant went dormant waaaaay early last summer.  DH kept teasing that I was the only person he knew that had killed a rhubarb, but I said it wasn't dead, just went into dormancy early because it didn't like where I put it.

Guess who was right?   Wink
Now that l have looked at it closely, yes, it definitely needs attention. Mollyhespra, thanks for the help.  I'm glad you proved your DH wrong, can't have him questioning your gardening skills! He should know better than that!   Wink  Wink  Wink
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/16/2014, 9:41 pm

LOL!  Truth be told, the poor thing is looking a bit--anemic.  I really *do* need to get it into more fertile ground or I'm going to prove DH right in the end... Rolling Eyes
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down