Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away? Toplef10Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away? I22gcj10Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away? Toplef10Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away? I22gcj10Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Yesterday at 5:24 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away?

+4
Marc Iverson
camprn
cheyannarach
s1rGr1nG0
8 posters

Go down

Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away? Empty Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away?

Post  s1rGr1nG0 2/10/2014, 1:09 pm

This year, along with our SFG, we are going to plant some tomatoes in food grade 5 gallon buckets as well. I was reading up on container gardening and it was mentioned to plant Marigolds in with the tomatoes in order to keep bugs away. I was unaware that Marigolds were a deterrent. Anyone know what bugs the Marigolds keep away? Sounds like a good, natural way to limit some pests.
s1rGr1nG0
s1rGr1nG0

Back to top Go down

Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away? Empty Re: Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away?

Post  cheyannarach 2/10/2014, 1:49 pm

I plant Marigolds throughout my garden and the only bug problem I have with my tomatoes is flea beetles!  We also have much fewer bugs in the North though.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away? Empty Re: Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away?

Post  camprn 2/10/2014, 2:02 pm

s1rGr1nG0 wrote:This year, along with our SFG, we are going to plant some tomatoes in food grade 5 gallon buckets as well. I was reading up on container gardening and it was mentioned to plant Marigolds in with the tomatoes in order to keep bugs away. I was unaware that Marigolds were a deterrent. Anyone know what bugs the Marigolds keep away? Sounds like a good, natural way to limit some pests.
I think there is not as much truth to this as some would like to believe.
Regarding companion planting, there are reasons to plant in such a way,
1) repellent plants
2) trap Plants
3) beneficial plants

... in any case it doesn't always work and is never the silver bullet that some folks make it out to be.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Marigolds planted with tomatoes to keep bugs away? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/10/2014, 2:07 pm

I agree with Camprn!!  That's why I pointed out I'm in the North (the one plus of the short growing season is the lack of bugs there is in the South)  I still plant marigolds in with everything because I like the idea!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 2/10/2014, 3:36 pm

I had virtually every kind of bug you could think of last year and I planted dozens of marigolds. They, along with my basil, were the very first thing the bugs ate, and the first thing they went back to as I constantly replanted them.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/10/2014, 3:54 pm

I'm in the North and I plant both marigolds and nasturtiums to deter bugs.  I don't know if it works but I don't have much of a bug problem.  My downfall is blights on tomatoes mostly.  I use light row cover over my cole crops against flea beetles and that works great.  Then the grasshoppers come and I've got them everywhere. Ugh.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/10/2014, 4:34 pm

Here is a previous thread discussing tomatoes and marigolds.  There is also a rookie topic out there somewhere that discusses marigolds.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t15455p15-tomatoes-and-marigolds
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 2/10/2014, 4:36 pm

This is not exactly companion planting related but close enough. I have read in several different places that basil helps to repel mosquitoes. I don't know if it is due to the humming bird size mosquitoes we have or if this is simply a myth but when I go out into the garden during the summer I usually disturb mosquitoes that are sitting under my basil leaves. I would pay 4 times the cost for a basil plant that would repel mosquitoes but the regular basil I have doesn't really have any effect on them.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/10/2014, 6:20 pm

I'm in the buggy south and I plant a basil in every bucket of tomatoes.    I also spray my tomatoes with an asprin   spray during early growth and with copper fungicide to help prevent some blight.  Last year I got lucky and had minimum destructive pests on the tomatoes..  Just a boat load of tiny flies that got into the split tomatoes.  But they washed right off if I got to them early and the tomatoes were usable.  Only the ones I misses got the flies deep into the tomato.  I also plant a nasturtium and a marigold in each bed, just cause it might help and they are pretty.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down