Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A Toplef10True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A I22gcj10True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A Toplef10True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A I22gcj10True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:07 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/18/2024, 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A

5 posters

Go down

True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A Empty True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A

Post  BJWanlund 1/11/2014, 4:59 pm

Hi! I'm BJ!

I first heard about the SFG method last year after listening to Mike McGrath's "You Bet Your Garden" radio program on which Mel was interviewed about his new SFG books.  I then was reading a Kindle rental book about companion planting (as I am looking to start my first-time-ever garden this year) and they talked about this SFG method as a companion planting method of sorts.  So I got that Kindle book (The All-New Square Foot Gardening), and I instantly *got* what the method was instantly because it is practical, flexible, efficient, and sustainable (that last one's a biggie with me).

However, I'm beginning to get a tad confused. I'm a true beginner, and kinda don't know from whence I should start.  Especially when it comes to going in and buying the supplies for such, because I am rather new at this whole gardening thing.

I really like salads, and definitely like cucumbers, tomatoes, and the like (more for summer dishes like gazpacho than anything else). I also would like to start an asparagus bed (although that may have to be separate from the remainder of what I grow by design), and eventually (definitely NOT this year) I'd like to branch out from veggies into fruits like blueberries and the like (and maybe even some dwarf fruit trees).  If it helps with regard to last frost date, I'm in zone 6A.

Hope I'll be happily gardening with the rest of you very soon!

--BJ
BJWanlund
BJWanlund

Back to top Go down

True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A Empty Re: True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A

Post  yolos 1/11/2014, 6:30 pm

BJWanlund wrote:Hi! I'm BJ!

I really like salads, and definitely like cucumbers, tomatoes, and the like (more for summer dishes like gazpacho than anything else).
--BJ

Welcome BJ.  Gazpacho is my favorite food of all time.  In my area (just south of Atlanta) the lettuce bolts before the cucumbers and tomatoes are ready to eat.  I am going to have to find a way to keep my lettuce growing longer or my tomatoes and cucs ripening sooner.  But you don't have to worry about the gazpacho because in my experience, the tomatoes and cucs ripen at the same time.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A Empty Re: True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A

Post  malefacter 1/11/2014, 7:00 pm

start by making a 4x4 box out of 2x6 wood find a place with lots of sun place it there fill with soil and plant. id build a 2x2 box for your asperigus plants for the blueberry, amazon has a e book about growing them just about anywhere wish i red it before i ordered it may not get cold enough for one of the verities i orderd
malefacter
malefacter

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/11/2014, 8:52 pm

BJ,  Welcome to the Forum!   glad you\'re here 

!.  Determine what you want to grow.  Done.

2.  Chose the sunniest location.  (send us photos of your area and progress.  You should get lots of feed back even at this slow time of the year)

3.  Build boxes of 2" x 4" studs, double layer, ending with a 7" high box - 6" for Mel's Mix, 1" for mulch.  Look at residential construction areas for free scrap wood.  But ask permission first!

4.  Locate 5 different types (or sources) of compost, vermiculte and compressed peat moss.  Read and re-read what is meant by 5 different sources of compost.  Then read once more before you buy.  Let us know what you have found before you buy.  Make one of the sources composted herbivore manure.  Read labels on compost bags to get an idea of how much "forest product" and peat moss they contain.  You may have to reduce the fluffed peat moss to, say, 1/4 the volume, if there is too much peat moss in the composts.

5.  Get a tarp.  Mix the sources of compost and set aside.  Fluff the peat moss.  Mix 1/3 mixed compost, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 FLUFFED peat most.  Measure volume, not weight.

6.  Fill the boxes now and let rest until planting time, which will be here before you know it..

7.  If growing from seed, determine the last frost date and count 6 weeks backward to start them inside.

8.  Ask questions if you can't find the answers from the Search box.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21565

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/11/2014, 9:19 pm

glad you\'re here to the SFG Forum! We discuss many aspects of gardening, but of particular interest is the Square Foot Gardening method outlined by Mel Bartholomew in his 2006 book All new Square Foot Gardening. This Forum is actually an extension of the SFG Foundation. Check out the link on the main page. Please browse through the forum for a lot of information. There are some highlights on the homepage on the left side, under the hover button but all the basics can be found in Mel's book.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

True beginner from Southwestern Virginia (near Radford), zone 6A WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  malefacter 1/12/2014, 5:22 pm

blueberries in your backyard is the name of the book, i really liked it.,
malefacter
malefacter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down