Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
biochar - Biochar? Toplef10biochar - Biochar? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

biochar - Biochar? I22gcj10biochar - Biochar? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
biochar - Biochar? Toplef10biochar - Biochar? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

biochar - Biochar? I22gcj10biochar - Biochar? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Biochar?

+21
ronbart
Dan in Ct
plantoid
OhioGardener
Kelejan
AtlantaMarie
No_Such_Reality
sanderson
SQWIB
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
southern gardener
Yardslave
Pollinator
Turan
Marc Iverson
floyd1440
jimmy cee
camprn
landarch
sfg4uKim
25 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

biochar - Biochar? Empty Biochar?

Post  sfg4uKim 10/13/2013, 8:57 am

Has anyone done any research on biochar?  I was trying to get opinions about this.

Thanks

BIOCHAR

Here's a summary:

What Is Biochar?
Producing biochar involves slowly heating biomass (wood and other plant materials) in a low-oxygen environment, such as a kiln. This type of charcoal can do a number of things:

1. Help return much of the depleted carbon to the soil
  2. Improve overall soil quality
  3. Raise soil’s water retention ability
  4. It may also help “filter” toxic chemicals in the soil, much like carbon-based water filtration systems can filter toxins out of your water
When put back into the soil, biochar can stabilize the carbon in the soil, in the form of charcoal, for hundreds or even thousands of years.  It serves as a type of 'coral reef' of the land, where it's porous and massive surface area provides a great benefit to soil microorganisms
The introduction of biochar into soil is not like applying fertilizer; it is the beginning of a process. Most of the benefit is achieved through microbes and fungi. They colonize its massive surface area and integrate into the char and the surrounding soil, dramatically increasing the soil’s ability to nurture plant growth.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

biochar - Biochar? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

biochar - Biochar? Empty Re: Biochar?

Post  landarch 10/13/2013, 9:08 am

interesting
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/13/2013, 10:09 am

I think there are a few back threads about this in the non square foot gardening forum.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

biochar - Biochar? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 10/13/2013, 6:13 pm

I used Biochar last spring along with a few more componnents.
It was to add to the compost I picked up from our local recycle center.
Since this compost was supposedly only leaves and brush I thought it would need more vittles.
I only added about a quart to my mix, it appears very much like peat moss.
I wont be using it any more since my compost is up and running.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 10/13/2013, 7:15 pm

a
I read up and this stuff and the first post is a good summary about biochar and bottom line it is carbon heavy.  So why not just use high ratio of material to compost.  Pine needles have a 500/1 ratio but take years to break down but can be spread up by shreading them to get a higher surface ratio.

Think I will keep composting but always open to new ideas however need to perfect composting.
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/13/2013, 8:01 pm

Seems like something that would be especially useful in pots, as the extra watering pots tend to demand flushes away so many nutrients so quickly.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 10/13/2013, 8:17 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:Seems like something that would be especially useful in pots, as the extra watering pots tend to demand flushes away so many nutrients so quickly.  
But in the SFG would not those nutrients be absorbed by the peat moss to some extent?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 10/13/2013, 8:18 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:Seems like something that would be especially useful in pots, as the extra watering pots tend to demand flushes away so many nutrients so quickly.  
But in the SFG would not those nutrients be absorbed by the peat moss to some extent?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 10/13/2013, 9:28 pm

camprn wrote:I think there are a few back threads about this in the non square foot gardening forum.
I searched biochar and it didn't come up.  There were a few threads about using charcoal.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

biochar - Biochar? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/13/2013, 10:27 pm

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 10/13/2013, 11:16 pm

The problem with compost in hot climates is that it (literally) burns up quickly. Furthermore, in wet climates, soil nutrients (fertilizer) leach out of the soil with every heavy rain, wasting the resource, and polluting ground and surface waters.

Biochar is a way to slow the the oxidation and leaching of compost and soil nutrients. This is why it is so significant in the area where ancient humans first discovered it - the Amazon rain forest. If you clearcut forest land there, in two years the land will be just about worthless.

But some areas exist, that still have useful, fertile, deep black soils that were created by pre-Columbian civilizations. This is called "terra preta," or more recently biochar.

We think of the native societies of the rain forest as being "slash and burn" farmers, but that was in post-Columbian society. An earlier, extinct society used the method of "slash and char." Fires were started and burned until the hydrogen was mostly burned off, then the fires were quenched with water, leaving the carbon residue.

I make charcoal myself in a homemade retort, and now have several drums of it ready for our new homestead, which has acid, sandy soil that is not very fertile. I'm hoping that the crushed charcoal will aid in making this nearly sterile soil bloom again, as it has in the garden beds in our current home.

Biochar should not be used alone. It's best if it is "charged" before adding to the soil. One good way to do this is to soak it in urine. It will absorb the nutrients and slow-release them to the plants. If it doesn't already have any nutrients stored, it could rob nutrients from the plants for a time.

Charcoal was not used alone in ancient times either. It was mixed with compostable residues and lots of bones. Also a lot of finely broken pottery shards were incorporated.

Clemson university did some testing at the Florence (SC) Experiment Station and found that the addition of biochar improved soybean yields by around 20%.

On top of all its other benefits, it also sequesters carbon in the soil - and it's practically permanent. So this can be useful in removing some of the excess carbon that's in our atmosphere. It's commonly thought that this is a result of burning fossil fuels, but a lot of it is from the destruction of organic material in our soils.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/14/2013, 1:07 am

floyd1440 wrote:
Yes, and the vermiculite too. A raised SFG bed has a lot more durability in its nutrient profile than a pot would -- even a pot with Mel's Mix in it. Pots get hot so quickly and dry out so quickly that they need a lot more water than a raised bed does, and a lot more water means a lot more flushing away nutrients. I think Mel himself even remarks that pots can become almost sterile.

It's the same problem, but multiplied, that many areas in the Pacific Northwest have. The high level of rain flushes away so much soil and so many nutrients that the remaining soil can be very poor and not very thick, to boot. At my place in Oregon, the soil is little more than yellowish decomposed granite in most places, with a thin layer of not very rich soil on top. Pretty much all the neighborhood gardeners grow in raised beds to get around that. So do I, plus I use some pots and planters.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 10/14/2013, 10:17 am

I've done hanging baskets & 8 gallon containers for veggies, and flowers this past season.
Everything came out so good I will continue using MM.
I never over watered, adding enough just to keep the baskets from dripping.
On Wednesday's I added miracle gro, on Saturday's I added fish emulsion.
Just enough in my estimation to keep those little buggers happy, and happy they were..
I realize that wouldn't have happened if I had to leave town for some reason.

nasturtium with MM
biochar - Biochar? Nastur10

Marigold with MM
biochar - Biochar? Marigo10

Cayanetta peppers with MM
This plant grew so many peppers, it was mostly red when I picked them
biochar - Biochar? August10
Everything here was with MM, I am sold on it
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 10/14/2013, 6:12 pm

I'm a little confused here. Is biochar just the charcoal produced from burned vegitation or is it from burned hardwoods, or both? I burned all the fruit tree cuttings and leftover hardwood (oak) and reduced them to white ashes. I spread these out under my citrus trees and in my strawberry beds and it pretty much shut them down- no new vigorous growth-they looked like they were nitrate deficient. I tested the soil and the Ph. was now  too alkaline, and there seems to be too much potash in the soil. I had been warned that this may happen with ash applications, but had to see for myself. I think that biochar has to be largely charcoal rich in carbon, which it is if it isn't reduced to white ash. I'm going to have to add iron now to lower the Ph. I learned my lesson- everything in moderation.Twisted Evil
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 10/14/2013, 7:40 pm

Yardslave wrote:I'm a little confused here. Is biochar just the charcoal produced from burned vegitation or is it from burned hardwoods, or both? I burned all the fruit tree cuttings and leftover hardwood (oak) and reduced them to white ashes. I spread these out under my citrus trees and in my strawberry beds and it pretty much shut them down- no new vigorous growth-they looked like they were nitrate deficient. I tested the soil and the Ph. was now  too alkaline, and there seems to be too much potash in the soil. I had been warned that this may happen with ash applications, but had to see for myself. I think that biochar has to be largely charcoal rich in carbon, which it is if it isn't reduced to white ash. I'm going to have to add iron now to lower the Ph. I learned my lesson- everything in moderation.Twisted Evil
Right, that's
the difference between "slash and burn" and "slash and char." It's very important to stop the burn before you get ashes. Ashes do salvage some minerals and reduce acidity, but you don't want to use them on soils that aren't acid. Biochar is much more near neutral in its effects. I'm not sure it it *can* be overdone, but I shoot for about 5% in my mixes.

You can make charcoal in open fires, by quenching the fire at the right time, but it does produce a lot of polluting gasses. In a retort, these gasses are redirected back into the fire, and mostly burn up. So a retort is a lot cleaner way to make biochar.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 10/14/2013, 8:27 pm

jimmy cee wrote:I've done hanging baskets & 8 gallon containers for veggies, and flowers this past season.
Everything came out so good I will continue using MM.
I never over watered, adding enough just to keep the baskets from dripping.
On Wednesday's I added miracle gro, on Saturday's I added fish emulsion.
Just enough in my estimation to keep those little buggers happy, and happy they were..
I realize that wouldn't have happened if I had to leave town for some reason.

nasturtium with MM
biochar - Biochar? Nastur10

Marigold with MM
biochar - Biochar? Marigo10

JimmyCee...you fed miracle grow every week? Do you think that's why your garden did so well? In addition to the fish emulsion? How did you apply the fish emulsion? I have some, but not sure how to "do it right". I'd rather stay away from the MG if possible. thanks for any help. Sorry if this hijacks the thread...feel free to move if necessary. Thanks!!

Cayanetta peppers with MM
This plant grew so many peppers, it was mostly red when I picked them
biochar - Biochar? August10
Everything here was with MM, I am sold on it
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/20/2017, 11:45 am

I was just thinking about pots after Sanderson mentioned getting the microbes going in my new sfg carrot bed. I have always just plunked new seeds or plants into the old dirt in my containers. DUH! It was probably "dead" store-bought potting soil to start with and now it would be dead, depleted potting soil. Rolling Eyes From now on I'm going to add homemade biochar, charged in my own compost heap. I'm also going to dump all of my pots onto the compost heap to get their soil reborn before their next planting. Since we have a woodstove, and start every cool morning with a nice fire, I should have all the biochar I need by next spring. happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/20/2017, 11:52 am

Pollinator wrote:

You can make charcoal in open fires, by quenching the fire at the right time, but it does produce a lot of polluting gasses. In a retort, these gasses are redirected back into the fire, and mostly burn up. So a retort is a lot cleaner way to make biochar.
Our woodstove is a modern one with a "re-burner" to reduce air pollution. Is that similar to a retort?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/20/2017, 11:54 am

I LOVE THIS THREAD AND THIS FORUM! BIG hug Final question: How small should the biochar pieces be to put into the compost to charge?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/20/2017, 5:20 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but bio char is like charcoal, not fully burned, not the stuff you get from cleaning your wood stove. The reburner is adding more oxygen to more fully burn the wood, charcoal is done the opposite, it is burned with as low oxygen as possible to only take out some of the volatiles of burning.

I have read that it is best to add ash lightly to a compost pile, it is lye that washes out of it, a little goes a long way. If your pile and soil tend to be alkaline (like mine) it would seem to be more harmful than helpful. I wonder if it would be good to sprinkle around the barn/chicken coop areas.

There is such a huge difference between the East and the West and I got myself into soil trouble listening to some one in a very different climate than mine.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 10/20/2017, 5:34 pm

Turan wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but bio char is like charcoal, not fully burned, not the stuff you get from cleaning your wood stove.  The reburner is adding more oxygen to more fully burn the wood, charcoal is done the opposite, it is burned with as low oxygen as possible to only take out some of the volatiles of burning.  

I have read that it is best to add ash lightly to a compost pile, it is lye that washes out of it, a little goes a long way.  If your pile and soil tend to be alkaline (like mine) it would seem to be more harmful than helpful.  I wonder if it would be good to sprinkle around the barn/chicken coop areas.  

There is such a huge difference between the East and the West and I got myself into soil trouble listening to some one in a very different climate than mine.
^ I came close to making this mistake, too.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/20/2017, 5:44 pm

Turan wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but bio char is like charcoal, not fully burned, not the stuff you get from cleaning your wood stove.  The reburner is adding more oxygen to more fully burn the wood, charcoal is done the opposite, it is burned with as low oxygen as possible to only take out some of the volatiles of burning.  
It isn't going to be as easy as I thought. We had a little fire this morning and I separated 3 nice little chunks for biochar, but it was burned to ash by the time it cooled. Maybe I need to drop them into water, but I'm not liking that idea -- too messy and too much trouble. Shocked  Gotta do some more research. geek

I have read that it is best to add ash lightly to a compost pile, it is lye that washes out of it, a little goes a long way.  If your pile and soil tend to be alkaline (like mine) it would seem to be more harmful than helpful.  I wonder if it would be good to sprinkle around the barn/chicken coop areas. 
Our soil is acid, so I dump all of our ashes right into the compost. It's still a very small part of the heap, and only happens for part of the year, so I'm not worried about it.
Ain't that the truth! Every seed packet I read says "6 hours of direct sun". I don't know of a single crop that could survive 6 hours of direct sun in our brutal summers, but I had to learn that lesson the hard way. Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 10/20/2017, 5:55 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
It isn't going to be as easy as I thought. We had a little fire this morning and I separated 3 nice little chunks for biochar, but it was burned to ash by the time it cooled. Maybe I need to drop them into water, but I'm not liking that idea -- too messy and too much trouble. Shocked  Gotta do some more research. geek

Our soil is acid, so I dump all of our ashes right into the compost. It's still a very small part of the heap, and only happens for part of the year, so I'm not worried about it.
Ain't that the truth! Every seed packet I read says "6 hours of direct sun". I don't know of a single crop that could survive 6 hours of direct sun in our brutal summers, but I had to learn that lesson the hard way. Mad
Build a fire wait till the wood is burnt up completely, cover with dirt and smoother.
I used to make it in a retort. 55 gallons then I used 5 gallon.
For retort put chunked wood on 5 gallon Pail, or on lid that has a few ½ holes, toss on the fire, it will smoke then flames will come out of the hole, once the gas has burnt of, remove the bucket and place upside down to choke, open the next day and crush.
Make sure not to use a lid with a gasket.
I now just put out the fire with a garden hose, crush the next day and wash or more with a hose then after a few dry days I'll put in buckets, add urea for a week or two then add too my beds with rabbit manure, or just dump in the compost heap after adding urea of course.
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/20/2017, 6:13 pm

SQWIB wrote:just dump in the compost heap after adding urea of course.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but where does the urea come from? Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/20/2017, 6:54 pm

Can any one remember the thread we had on collecting urea?
I recall something about a bucket kept in the shower area Very Happy

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next