Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost Toplef10Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost I22gcj10Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost Toplef10Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost I22gcj10Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost

5 posters

Go down

Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost Empty Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost

Post  sanderson 8/30/2013, 3:42 pm

I've spent at least 30 minutes on this reply in the Topic "Hello, from the Shenandoah Calley, VA!". I don't want to hijack that thread as this has to do with using worm castings as the only compost source.

I'm too new to be able to comment on worm casting except to use them as one ingredient of the blended compost. I'm just sharing the following experience.

There is an organic farm near Paso Robles, CA, that uses ONLY worm castings. I wish I had saved their brochure. They had a stand at the San Luis Obispo Farmer's Market where we bought a bag of their worm castings and 4 artichokes. The next day, we visited the farm on our way home

No pesticides or weeding. They have a 40-60' long, 3-4' deep, concrete worm bin where they feed the worms with their compost. To harvest, side panels are opened, the bulk compost lifted (with small tractor fork?) and the lower worms and castings removed. Worms are saved and put back with the compost. Major worm operation.

Produce is grown on mounded rows of castings on the ground both outside and inside the long greenhouses. There are weeds but they don't weed. Good and bad insects and bees galore as the doors are left open. I couldn't help but think "Now, if they only had SFG raised beds . . ." The roots of the produce are in both the top castings and the ground soil below. So, I consider their castings as an organic fertilizer and soil conditioner.

Idea for an Experiment - and don't look at me to do it! I have no spare castings!:

If someone out there with lots of worm castings could do an experiment in a 1'x1' box with a weed cloth bottom, using peat moss, vermiculite and only worm castings as the MM, we could find out if castings are a complete compost. I would say the experiment should go for a few re-plantings with only castings used to replenish the nutrients. I personally prefer the idea of using green and brown plant composts and herbivore manure composts with the worm compost. No facts or experience, just a feeling.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost Empty Re: Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost

Post  littlejo 8/30/2013, 4:34 pm

Hi sanderson,
I don't have any thing to go on, for I do not know if the worm castings have enough nutrients to support a garden by itself.
All I can say is that there are too many/wrong nutrients for African violets by using worm castings alone. The recipe for Violet planting medium-2 pt. vermiculite, 2 pt. peat moss, 1pt worm castings. I thought I'd be smart and since I had plenty of castings, I used straight worm castings, and the violets wilted bad, and I lost a few before I caught it.
My opinion: Don't try to fix something that's not broke.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost Empty Re: Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost

Post  camprn 8/30/2013, 5:09 pm

I do believe this question was answered in the 1,000 Worms on the Way thread. If I remember correctly, it was advised that worm castings are a type of fertilizer and not considered actual compost, despite the vermicompost label.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Using Worm Castings as Sole Source Compost WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/30/2013, 5:15 pm

From what I have read, worm castings should be no more than 20% of compost.
There was an experiment using various percentages of worm castings, and the 100% came off the worst. There were pictures of plants for comparison.
Llama Momma is more expert than I, so I am sure she will chip in with the source.
If she doesn't, I will search for it, it is about time I did some work on this forum. Very Happy 
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 8/31/2013, 2:29 am

This is the thread that I had read that my comment in Hello from the Shenandoah Valley thread was based on: Does this Worm Compost count as two of the 5 Mel's Mix Compost sources? about half way down the page you will find a conversation in which Llama momma discussed the salt content of worm castings and a book that quotes the OSU study that her info was based on.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down