Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener Toplef10Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener I22gcj10Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener Toplef10Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener I22gcj10Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener

5 posters

Go down

Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener Empty Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener

Post  has55 4/20/2015, 5:33 pm

one yard revolution got his soil testing results in. Has anyone else got their results in?

Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener Empty Re: Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener

Post  Windmere 4/20/2015, 5:58 pm

That was very interesting has55.  I'm going to look into our local extension and see what they have available (or recommend).
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener Empty Re: Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener

Post  yolos 4/20/2015, 6:10 pm

Windmere wrote:That was very interesting has55.  I'm going to look into our local extension and see what they have available (or recommend).

Windmere - they will do a soil test if you drop it off at the extension office.  I asked someone if they did the test on a soilless mix and the person did not know.  So I have not done it yet.  I keep thinking about sending it up to the place Camprn keeps recommending but I never get around to it.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/20/2015, 6:14 pm

has55 wrote:... Has anyone else got their results in?...

Funny you should ask!  I submitted three different samples 2 weeks ago.  I'm expecting the results any day now.

Here's the results of samples I had done 3 years ago.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t8673-mel-s-mix-lab-analysis-results
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Soil Test Results! Are Compost, Worm Castings & Mulch Enough?-soil testing for the organic gardener Empty confirming good soil life and testing for organic growers

Post  has55 4/21/2015, 11:56 am

I found this link. interesting info about the earthworms and soil testing. this info is for those who are organic gardener or SFG's thinking about moving toward that directions. I hope it's helpful and you can glean off some info that will make your SFGing more exciting this year.

checking soil life by earthworm count and soil testing

Soil Testing for Organic Gardeners-why the test results are different for organic growers

Testing for Herbicide Contamination in organic products

Alternative Soil Testing Laboratories

10 Easy Soil Tests

Soil Testing for Fall

Soil Testing Study for K and Value of KCl and avoiding cadmium in your food
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/23/2015, 1:55 pm

It would be great if anyone can comment on these two articles below that are in the above posting. the others are just fun read. I'm interested to see if any one else look at the SFG soil from this view versus the analytical testing. 

checking soil life by earthworm count and soil testing

Soil Testing for Organic Gardeners-why the test results are different for organic growers
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/23/2015, 6:10 pm

I've only been sfg for 26 months so I still have a lot of learning to do! But Soil Testing for Organic Gardeners sounds so common-sense. Organic matter seems to be so important that the rest kind of takes care of itself. I look at white mold totally different now.

As far as earthworms, 10 is a good number? I'll take their word at it. But what about the little red wiggler? In my beds with worm tubes or where I added a few and covered with piles of extra compost to store for the winter, I now find several in a handful. BB\'s happy face

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/26/2015, 11:41 pm

sanderson wrote:I've only been sfg for 26 months so I still have a lot of learning to do!  But Soil Testing for Organic Gardeners sounds so common-sense.  Organic matter seems to be so important that the rest kind of takes care of itself.  I look at white mold totally different now.

As far as earthworms, 10 is a good number?  I'll take their word at it.  But what about the little red wiggler?  In my beds with worm tubes or where I added a few and covered with piles of extra compost to store for the winter, I now find several in a handful.  BB\'s happy face

thAt's a great amount red wigglers for a handful. I beleive the organic matter is the foundation for organic gardeners. i too look at white mold differently now.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/27/2015, 2:56 am

I've been out of town visiting the kiddies. Brought back lots of banana peels and greens. Daughter even started saving before I got there! I feed the beds without worm tubes by digging little holes here and there and burying the food. They seem to find it.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum