Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
worms on the way - 1,000 worms on their way.... Toplef10worms on the way - 1,000 worms on their way.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

worms on the way - 1,000 worms on their way.... I22gcj10worms on the way - 1,000 worms on their way.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
worms on the way - 1,000 worms on their way.... Toplef10worms on the way - 1,000 worms on their way.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

worms on the way - 1,000 worms on their way.... I22gcj10worms on the way - 1,000 worms on their way.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

1,000 worms on their way....

+54
AtlantaMarie
has55
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Thalia Budai
Marc Iverson
sanderson
CaptainKidney
grownsunshine
mschaef
Triciasgarden
Nain de Jardin
yolos
Turnip
kgreseth
Dreaming of Green
Lemonie
Thomas
littlejo
Lindacol
bnoles
mollyhespra
camprn
meatburner
CapeCoddess
No_Such_Reality
songstriss
Kelejan
Pepper
Coelli
givvmistamps
brenda g
chjbr63
FamilyGardening
AvaDGardner
Grandpop
curio
Boz
Laurie Lou
GWN
plantoid
LeeAnne12
Josh
RoOsTeR
shannon1
Ha-v-v
lonewolfrissy
Furbalsmom
walshevak
BackRiver_SFG
quiltbea
1airdoc
gwennifer
elliephant
llama momma
58 posters

Page 1 of 24 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next

Go down

worms on the way - 1,000 worms on their way.... Empty 1,000 worms on their way....

Post  llama momma 2/20/2012, 11:34 am

Made a first time order for brand new worm kids this morning. Now I must quickly find a good source of newspapers besides my own. Never before would I have believed there would be a little wormery in my life. And one thousand of them will each be this cute right? BB\'s happy face Actually I have a big box of disposable gloves... Not sure how squirmish I will be but I just committed myself to get over it fast. I'll name my bin after The Man that convinced me I can do this. The Joshua Inn, kind of classy huh? Wink
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

worms on the way - 1,000 worms on their way.... Empty Re: 1,000 worms on their way....

Post  elliephant 2/20/2012, 11:59 am

I've been reading the worm threads this weekend and am SOOOOO tempted! Not that I really need one more thing to keep track of...but we do have a freebie newspaper that I collect (old ones people don't pick up) while walking my oldest to school anyway (for the coupons), so that part would be easy for me.

What kind of setup are you going with?

I think I'd have to keep mine indoors due to our heat.

SOOOOOO tempted!
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

worms on the way - 1,000 worms on their way.... Empty Re: 1,000 worms on their way....

Post  gwennifer 2/20/2012, 12:08 pm

The Joshua Inn... Very classy indeed! A thousand worms huh? I'm tempted to do worms too after reading about it so much, but I don't like the idea of them multiplying (no chickens to feed the extra to, EatYourVeggies Razz). I know my girls would like it at first; they're having fun feeding our new compost pile our food scrap smoothies. But I'm sure the novelty would wear off quickly and the worms would be my resposibility. Also no newspaper or coffee grounds for them... See? Easy to talk myself out of.

Also I haven't come to an understanding of the non-native species thing yet... Are red wigglers what you're getting? And are those native to everywhere?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/20/2012, 12:18 pm

I am simply starting out with single worm bin that Josh described. I have a 20 gallon plastic rectangle bin. I also have been reading websites like crazy on their care. I know a worm book will be in my future too. And when my human kids grew up and moved out it left me with a spare bathroom that I'll keep the bin in for now. It may end up in the basement we'll see. I'll screen over or stretch old pantyhose over the ventilation holes. Looks like it is easy to overfeed so I'll be careful about that too. Anyway I'm really looking forward to this little adventure.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/20/2012, 2:12 pm

About your other question, yes I ordered the red wigglers, E. Festidia or whatever. I don't know where they are native to, but I recall they eat like pigs and produce a lot of casts. And if they breed the way its reported? Have to see what happens. For now its one step at a time. Like you, I would not go near this project if I still had kids at home. All about priorities.
At this point I can truly devote my time to Rick, the business, the llamas, and playtime in the garden.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  1airdoc 2/20/2012, 2:21 pm

Just curious, what are the relative benefits of vermiculture vs composting? Do you do both? If so, what is the difference in how you use the products? What do you decide to feed to your worms as opposed to your compost pile?
1airdoc
1airdoc

Male Posts : 188

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/20/2012, 2:34 pm

The casts are excellent fertilizer and give disease fighting abilities to plants. It only took a couple of brief articles to get my attention to the benefits. If you go to the white search box above you can read a lot in this forum too. The casts count as one type of compost even though they eat a variety of bacteria and protozoa from the decaying food, as I understand. I don't think the worms will eat me out of house and home. I understand they can survive just fine for many weeks on newspapers alone. I'm reading where people constantly make the huge mistake in feeding them too much. What I plan to do is mix a small amount of casts in with each trowel full of my own back yard compost. This is added while pulling out spent plants in each square. Small amounts of worm casts are used because the stuff is potent. Crazy expensive to buy in the stores and the quality goes down the longer it sits in a bag. Especially if it doesn't have air holes. I wonder if they put an expiration date on it?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/20/2012, 5:34 pm

You don't have to worry about getting too many worms. They are self-regulating. If the food and space is sparse, they don't reproduce until there's more of it available or older worms dying off.

I always think worms first and have a Cool Whip container on the counter for their foodstuff and my used teabags. The rest of it goes into the compost pail. They don't care for root crops anyway and lettuce is fed very sparingly so its easy to separate the composting needs. Also larger and thicker stalks go to the compost.

My worm condo is kept in my bathroom. There's no odor. In the late spring I move it out under the trees where its shaded until Sept. They don't like temps over 90* so in the south, its probably best to keep them inisde in summer and only put them out a few weeks in the spring and then again in the fall.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/20/2012, 8:57 pm

Quiltbea,
Thanks for your info.
The worms will arrive in a couple days. I've got damp shredded newspapers in the bin so things will be at room temperature when they arrive. There is suppose to be more directions enclosed with the worms. But in case there isn't - can you tell me if I should feed them right away or let them settle in for a day or two, then feed? Maybe I'm being over concerned......
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/21/2012, 8:42 am

momma....I fed mine right away. Had some coffed grounds saved and a few pieces of veggie but then, I was an anxious new mom.

I keep a cheap hand rake on the top of my bin and the handle always points to the 'time on the clock' where I last tucked in their food, like what would be at the 2 o'clock space on a clock face. That way next time I know I can place the food a couple of numbers along, like 4 or 5 o'clock, the next time. I use the rake to lift the newspaper bedding and put the scraps beneath. You want to add your next scraps close by but not on top of your last serving. That way the worms don't have to go far to hunt for food.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/21/2012, 9:09 am

QuiltB
That is such a good practical tip. Thanks a bunch!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 2/21/2012, 9:37 am

quiltbea wrote:momma....I fed mine right away. Had some coffed grounds saved and a few pieces of veggie but then, I was an anxious new mom.

I keep a cheap hand rake on the top of my bin and the handle always points to the 'time on the clock' where I last tucked in their food, like what would be at the 2 o'clock space on a clock face. That way next time I know I can place the food a couple of numbers along, like 4 or 5 o'clock, the next time. I use the rake to lift the newspaper bedding and put the scraps beneath. You want to add your next scraps close by but not on top of your last serving. That way the worms don't have to go far to hunt for food.

How often do you feed them?
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

worms on the way - 1,000 worms on their way.... Empty Composting with worms

Post  BackRiver_SFG 2/21/2012, 10:25 am

My worm bin arrived yesterday. I am going to go this route because my compost area is ineffective and lacks the sunlight and temperatures required by the microorganisms. I plan on keeping my bin in the basement potting area because the temperature is real steady year-round. I will have compost tea for my garden and a fresh consistent source of quality castings. This just seems like a more efficient route that is symbiotic Shocked for those involved.

I need to order my red wigglers, I am going t check out http://www.findworms.com/ to do so.
Any advice or experience would be appreciated. study

Think spring!
BackRiver_SFG
BackRiver_SFG

Male Posts : 108

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/21/2012, 11:11 am

I save up 2 or 3 days worth of scraps for them and feed them all at once. There's always damp newspaper on the top in case they need more food.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/21/2012, 1:09 pm

Gardeners Supply Company has 2 lbs of worms for $39.95. Free shipping on all catalog purchases until March 31 using code YPA2602M. Problem, they can't ship worms until April.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/23/2012, 8:15 am

[quote="elliephant.[/quote] How often do you feed them?[/quote]

What I'm going to say is based on reading - and someone please correct me if I'm wrong: Very roughly, a pound of healthy red wigglers under the best conditions could eat up to 8 oz. /day . They could be fed about once a week. But it also sounds like the better practical way is to let the little guys tell you by observing how much food disappears. And if the worms are really skinny fatten them up with a better diet. Who Knows for sure? Not me. I'm just reading and winging it as it happens.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 2/23/2012, 12:32 pm

By the way, thank you quiiltbea for the reply about worms self-regulating their populations. Good to know.

And llamamomma, I can see from this thread why in the other thread you said you weren't willing to garden without the worms! I knew they made excellent compost, and kept the soil friable, but since adding we add compost after harvest and have loose friable soil already, I didn't see worms as a necessity. I didn't know about them eating the bacteria and all that. Very cool!

cheers
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/23/2012, 1:23 pm

I am learning too! I thought they acually eat the veggies and stuff, but they eat the bacteria and protozoans who actually consume the veggies. What then comes out of the worms is the high quality fertilizer goodies and plant disease fighting stuff. It's kinda magical Laughing The only thing I'm a tad sorry about is the company just informed me today that they send out worm orders on Mondays. I have to wait till possibly next Thursday to get them. In the meantime there is moist shredded newspapers and a little food in the bin to mix around each day. The food should hopefully break down a little by the time they arrive (?).
And supper will be ready if they arrive good and hungry. Very Happy
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/23/2012, 1:50 pm

1airdoc wrote:Just curious, what are the relative benefits of vermiculture vs composting? Do you do both? If so, what is the difference in how you use the products? What do you decide to feed to your worms as opposed to your compost pile?

Airdoc
I apologize somehow your post got completely past me. Vermiculture if I remember what I read, is breeding the worms for future sale of them. Vermicomposting is feeding them for the worm castings, or poo to add to your garden. The benefits are great fertilizer and plant disease fighting capabilities from the castings.
The worms will receive kitchen scraps, more newspaper strips and torn cardboard, then excess kitchen scraps will go out to the compost pile out back. I've been advised to feed the worms first!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/1/2012, 2:53 pm

Just received the worms from Uncle Jim's Worm farm in Philadelphia. They gave me a tracking number which was really helpful. Gave me time to ask the mailman to watch for the box and deliver to the front door. So now if all goes well, in a bout 3-4 months or less there should be a nice pile of castings to add to each trowel of backyard compost.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/1/2012, 3:28 pm

cheers Great News!
And supper will be ready if they arrive good and hungry. Very Happy
lol!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/1/2012, 4:14 pm

Thanks FbMom
I keep wanting to lift the lid and check on the little ones.
Those old maternal instincts you know... Towards worms?
Good grief. Happy to have residents at the Joshua Inn. rofl
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

worms on the way - 1,000 worms on their way.... Empty Sounds like fun!

Post  lonewolfrissy 3/1/2012, 9:29 pm

Only, I'm a little worried I'll accidently kill the poor things... Or worse, they get loose and the chickens eat them... or the heat out here cooks them....Not many places to keep them at this time. But it's always good to do research. Smile
lonewolfrissy
lonewolfrissy

Female Posts : 150

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 3/2/2012, 8:33 am

I plan on using the worms I order to use for the chickens and vermicompost. It will be a part of their protein they need to lay eggs. I have a few worms in a tub like Josh put up and shorter plastic one on the bottom. I have not had any escape yet. I do know they dont want to be too wet and not too much protein. They even make worm chow, is that unbelievable or what, cracks me up "worm chow" LOL. Our goal is to not buy any feed for our animals as much as possible. I won't set up another worm bin until I get past some potato plantings and seeds started and their beds made. I will be ordering African night crawlers for our other worm beds.

Keep sharing about your wormies. It helps us that are trying too Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/2/2012, 2:53 pm

End Of Day One: Within 12 hours of arriving in dry peat moss the 2 balls of worms unraveled and spread out all over the bedding. Gave them some help with the end of a pen cap to gently pry them apart and sprayed a little water on them and little extra on the bedding to help them quickly rehydrate. So initially I suppose they look happy but skinny. Instructions said they can lose up to 75% of their size from lack of food and water in transit. It also says over the next 24 hours with moisture and food they should bounce back 100%. Only had 4 up on the walls when the lid was removed this morning, so no crazy mass escapes going on as sometimes happens with new bins. Wet newspaper is the only odor. First day added a little decaying food scraps from the kitchen compost container. Keep tabs on how long they take to finish it.

Cost so far: $6.99 for 20 gal. container. Around $3.50 for pantyhose, cut and stretched over ventilation holes. And a few strips of duct tape. The worms were priced as a winter special, a thousand for $18.95. Priority shipping $10.95. Total $40.39
If all goes as expected the gallons of fresh castings will be worth it.

Note on ventilation holes, I used a hammer and a screwdriver, or could have used a nail. Very low tech. Screwdriver banged out larger holes than nails. For me it was less work and quicker than fussing around with a bunch of little holes. The pantyhose was cut and stretched over the holes and secured with duct tape.
Hope they prefer breathing well over home decor.

Last edited by llama momma on 3/2/2012, 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 24 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next