Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near? Toplef10Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near? I22gcj10Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near? Toplef10Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near? I22gcj10Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near?

3 posters

Go down

Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near? Empty Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near?

Post  iiiigardener 4/25/2013, 10:44 am

One of my shallots is sending up a flower. Do I remove it? Does it mean time to harvest is here or near? I've had them in the ground here in Texas since the end of October.

Thanks!
iiiigardener
iiiigardener

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near? Empty Re: Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near?

Post  camprn 4/25/2013, 11:50 am

How curious! Would you please post a photo. Very rare for shallots to set flower, at least that is my understanding. Also, what kind of shallots are these? Or are they multiplier onions, which are similar.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near? Empty Re: Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near?

Post  iiiigardener 4/25/2013, 1:02 pm

I bought both French Red and Holland Red from Burpee last fall. I believe this is the bed of French Red. I'll get a picture of the shoot but my husband cut it. He told me that if we didn't, it would stop production of the bulbs. It is the only one so far that has done this but they were all planted the same day. Maybe another one will send up a shoot. As I am somewhat of a Luddite, I'll have him take the picture and upload it.
iiiigardener
iiiigardener

Back to top Go down

Post  iiiigardener 4/27/2013, 12:01 am

Hi, Camprn: Here is the photo of the cut shallot shoot. After looking at the plant more closely, I am fairly certain the shallot is a French Red. I can tell you that the shoot was quite delicious in our salad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93883804@N03/8685281252/in/set-72157633360904442/
iiiigardener
iiiigardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/23/2013, 4:38 pm

iii, how did your h know that we are to cut the flowers off? Have you harvested them yet? If so, how'd they do?

These are my grocery store shallot flowers in front of the garlic and I'm not sure what to do if anything: Shallots sending up flowers - is harvest time near? 100_7411

But I DO know I'll be heading out for those scapes shortly! What a Face

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  iiiigardener 6/23/2013, 6:58 pm

I did some reading on the flowers and pretty much everything said to cut them down and to note that the particular shallot sending up the flower stock should be used sooner rather than later as it would not necessarily keep. The same info said that when the flowers start appearing, you are about 3/4 of the way through the season. Only one of my shallots sent up flowers, but it sent up nine of them - one for each of the bulbs it was forming. I literally harvested that one today and will use it in my cooking in about a week after it has a little time to cure.

I had two beds of shallots, one planted in the fall and one planted in March. Half of the ones from March started dying back about a week ago and I harvested those. I got lots of small shallots (some as many as twenty in a bunch.) I am drying those currently. The rest of that bed is still not ready.

The ones planted in Fall are much bigger and are still, for the most part, not ready for harvest. Camprn told me to check to see if they were ready by giving a slight pull to the plant. If there was resistance, it wasn't ready. Today, four sets were ready and so I harvested those. Those bulbs range from medium to large and have less per set - anywhere from six to ten.

From the looks of your picture, I would say that the shallots are not ready yet. I found that as the bulbs really start creating bulbs, the green shoots push outward and downward toward the ground. You begin to see the bulb forming partially above the ground. When you do harvest, use a shovel or fork to get them - pulling seems like it would rip the shoots and leave the bulbs in the ground.

I also used some of the greens in place of scallions throughout the spring. I purposefully over planted to be able to use green shallots and green garlic.
iiiigardener
iiiigardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/23/2013, 7:42 pm

Your h's instruction felt right to me so I took them off and ate them for supper tonite!What a Face

You sure must have planted alot of shallots, iii. I only planted 2 but from the looks of things I'll have about 12 coming if all goes according to plan. And it was so darn simple...altho I am still a bit confused about watering them as well as garlic & ball onions.thinking But they all seem to carry on with or without me. I like that.

rock on
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down