Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! Toplef10March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! I22gcj10March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! Toplef10March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! I22gcj10March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

March 2013, Western mountains and high plains!

4 posters

Go down

March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! Empty March 2013, Western mountains and high plains!

Post  cheyannarach 3/3/2013, 7:18 pm

March is here cheers It seems to take soooo long for spring to come then all of the sudden it sneaks right up on you What a Face . I have been working on my planting chart making sure I have room for all my new goodies this year. I jumped the gun on seed starting and come April may be kicking myself for it but almost everything has sprouted except a few peppers and I am just excited! The eggplant, tomatoes, brussel sprouts, onions, cauliflower, lettuce, cabbage are up and raring to grow Razz . I wanted to get a jump to see if it makes a difference for my short growing season of about 100 days. I plan on putting the cole crops out sooner this year and getting tomatoes in June drooling . Well that's my plans anyways :lolsignwave: we will see if my plants and weather cooperate. Right now I have my little seedlings out on the deck in the plant inn soaking up some sunshine, it was in the fifties today but back to the twenties tomorrow lots o . So that's what March is for me plan, plan, plan. What is everybody else planning?
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! Empty Re: March 2013, Western mountains and high plains!

Post  Turan 3/3/2013, 9:50 pm

I put together the top half a cold frame. Santa bought me a Juwel 1000 cold frame kit, bless him and Amazon and my credit card bonus back Embarassed
Now I need to cut the wood and make the bottom half. then join them together. I need it tall enough to plant determinate tomatoes in.

Other plans are about where to put a new bed......

I have aphids over wintering in here. So my seedlings are going to need to be started some place new. Maybe in the mudroom? That is going to require some strenuous spring cleaning. Rolling Eyes

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2624

Back to top Go down

March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! Empty Plans for March 2013

Post  Lillyz 3/6/2013, 12:18 am

Hi everyone,

I have been cleaning/disinfecting all my seed starting stuff. Im going to start tomatoes, eggplants, and hot peppers some time this week. Maybe next. I usually sow the seeds and set them on top of the fridge until they germinate.

I got my raised bed kits from hd and set them up a couple of days ago, but it snowed yesterday so I havent really been out there to get them level. Going to be looking for 5 different kinds of compost too. I still have a bag of compost from last year and was thinking of mixing it with some of the soil, which is really sandy.

Was searching the web for dyi strawberry planters when I came across this very interesting youtube video about using plastic bottles for planting a vertical garden here is a link if interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9vN2eudWcQ . From what I understand many peeps are using this. I might look for a pallet or some kind of fencing to try it.

Also been working on an excel worksheet for companion planting. I found one on the web but I wanted to add more to it, so it is still a work in progress. Also finalizing plans for this years veggie garden.
Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! Empty Re: March 2013, Western mountains and high plains!

Post  cheyannarach 3/6/2013, 12:07 pm

Turan, gotta love Santa!! You'll have to show pictures of your new pride and joy!

Lillyz, great link, what a neat way to recycle and save space!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! Empty March 2013 Plans

Post  JocyMc 3/27/2013, 2:48 pm

We had a nice weekend 2 weeks ago so I cleaned out my 2 4x4 boxes, added more compost so they were ready to plant once the soil warmed up. To help that I put covers over them. 2 days later we had 45 - 60 mph winds come through. It blew the cover completely off one box and shredded the garden cloth on the other, then it snowed. It's supposed to be nice this week and reach the 60's by the weekend. I plan to get some more garden cloth to replace the shredded one on the way home and get those boxes warming up. I want to plant the cold weather plants this weekend.

I've got a few seeds started but most are for my flower garden. I'm going to either direct sow the vegetables into the covered garden boxes or buy the plants as soon as they show up. I would love to have tomatoes by June also.

Another box is in the planning stages. I know what I want to plant in it, winter squash, but not where it will fit. The yard is getting a little crowded.
JocyMc
JocyMc

Female Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 3/27/2013, 9:40 pm

Darn wind! Sounds like you have got it covered though! I am excited to start my flowers but I started my veggies first andonce they are ready for bigger containers I will start my flowers too! Have fun and happy planting!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! Empty March 2013

Post  JocyMc 3/29/2013, 12:57 am

I managed to get my 2 beds covered yesterday. I had been reading the forums and instead of using the heavy duty garden cloth that I used last year I got some 6 mil clear plastic sheeting to use. Last year I didn't start until the end of April/1st of May so wasn't worried about deep freezes or snow. There's still that possibility at the end of March. It will be more like a greenhouse so I'll have to keep watch on the expected temperatures and vent it if the day's going to be super sunny or warm.

I also planted my tomato seeds and went through all my old seeds. I can't believe how many packets of radish seeds I have. 2 that I don't know when they come from, one from last year, and I bought another when I got the tomato seeds. I think I'll plant radishes in the squares that aren't going to be planted early. Wouldn't it be fun to pass out fresh radishes to family and friends and comment "I just picked them from my garden." In Idaho, in May!
JocyMc
JocyMc

Female Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

March 2013, Western mountains and high plains! Empty re: March 2013, Western mountains and high plains!

Post  Lillyz 3/29/2013, 4:43 am

JocyMc wrote:[snip] I think I'll plant radishes in the squares that aren't going to be planted early. Wouldn't it be fun to pass out fresh radishes to family and friends and comment "I just picked them from my garden." In Idaho, in May!
[/snip]

Sounds great!! love those radishes. and I bet they will taste better than anything you can buy at the supermarket.
Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 4/4/2013, 11:39 am

Lillyz wrote:
JocyMc wrote:[snip] I think I'll plant radishes in the squares that aren't going to be planted early. Wouldn't it be fun to pass out fresh radishes to family and friends and comment "I just picked them from my garden." In Idaho, in May!
[/snip]

Sounds great!! love those radishes. and I bet they will taste better than anything you can buy at the supermarket.

That sounds awesome!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down