Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? Toplef10Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? I22gcj10Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? Toplef10Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? I22gcj10Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Seed Potatoes - In small quantities?

+9
Lindacol
llama momma
donnainzone5
Hoggar
gwennifer
RoOsTeR
JackieB999
Goosegirl
moldeen85
13 posters

Go down

Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? Empty Seed Potatoes - In small quantities?

Post  moldeen85 1/31/2013, 3:55 pm

I was wondering why seed potatoes come in such large quantities.

I can't imagine they stay good all that long, but I honestly don't know. If I am going to buy some seed potatoes, cut them down so each potatoe could technically provide 2-3 seeds, then plant 1-4 seeds per square foot... then how many lbs could I possibly need to do one or two square feet? Everywhere I look to buy the seed potatoes, they can in approximately 2-5lb sets. Are these seed potatoes extremely large? Can I save the seed potatoes I don't use - they won't last a year will they? Or should I just eat my left over seed potatoes?

Sorry... I'm trying to figure out this potato thing, its all very new to me. Shocked
moldeen85
moldeen85

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? Empty Re: Seed Potatoes - In small quantities?

Post  Goosegirl 1/31/2013, 4:06 pm

For each seed potato piece that you plant, you ideally want at least 2 eyes (sprouts) on it, and enough potato to feed it while it is starting to root. If you are only planting 1-2 sq ft of potatoes, go for the 2 lb pack. 2 lbs is not a lot of potatoes, but you will probably have a few extra pieces - you could just overplant your squares, or if you have the space, plant another square or 2. They will probably not make it to the next year if you try saving them. Personally, I plant 4 pieces per square and have had pretty good success.

Some of the seed potatoes may be large, some may be quite small. For the small ones you may not be able to divide them into pieces, they may need to be planted whole to have enough potato to feed the growing sprouts.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? Empty Re: Seed Potatoes - In small quantities?

Post  JackieB999 1/31/2013, 9:31 pm

Hi Amanda... I'm new to potatoes too Smile GG is right about the eyes and storage, but I wanted to share my experience. I used a 20 gallon bucket and planted store bought russets (mainly because I had some that were starting to sprout). I read that if you have store bought potatoes that sprout, that those are fine to use because they havent been treated with a chemical that prevents sprouting... and they are obviously disease free if they are meant to be eaten from the store.

So... I cut them into 2 inch pieces with 2-3 eyes on them. Leave them cut side up for a day or 2 to let them dry out. They will look pretty pittiful. Then plant them eye side up in about 3-4 inches of Mels Mix. If you use a big bucket, drill some drainage holes first. Then after the sprouts come up nicely, about 2 inches tall, cover them totally with another 2-3 inches of soil. And follow that pattern all the way to the top.

Here's a picture of mine after just 3 weeks. I'm at the top of the bucket already! They grew really fast. I cant wait to eat a home grown potato! Good luck to you. When do you plan to plant them?

Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? Potato11

JackieB999
JackieB999

Female Posts : 125

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/31/2013, 9:43 pm

and they are obviously disease free if they are meant to be eaten from the store.

Actually, you run a higher risk of disease using store bought potatoes. You have less chance of disease using certified seed potatoes.

Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieB999 1/31/2013, 9:44 pm

Rooster! You always give me bad news LOL

Well, live and learn.... but my store bought potatoes look healthy, dont they?
JackieB999
JackieB999

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/31/2013, 9:48 pm

I'm not saying they will be diseased, just that there is higher risk. Many folks have great success using store bought taters. That being said, certified seed taters usually have higher yields and less chance of disease. YMMV Cool

***and I gave you good news here on post 13 Wink
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t14444-what-are-you-growing

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 2/1/2013, 1:18 am

moldeen85 wrote:I was wondering why seed potatoes come in such large quantities.

I ended up finding seed potatoes for sale at my local nurseries in bulk bins that I could pick and choose from. I bought just a few good potatoes since that was all I needed. Don't think it even cost me a buck.

So what I learned was if you order on-line you have to place your order early in the year, well before planting time. If your nursery is going to carry them, they won't put them out until planting time. So call your local nursery now and ask them if they'll be selling them. Then you'll know whether or not you need to order them!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  moldeen85 2/1/2013, 8:47 am

Gwen: That's a great idea... I'll have to call a couple places. The only issue with that, is I'd like to start them indoors a little early. Wink So... I'd need patience. Does anyone sell that, cause I'm fresh out.

Jackie: I did see your potato post plus a couple older ones. Smile very helpful. I was able to find where someone referenced a website groworganic.com. I checked them out, and they do sell a single pound at a time. Very Happy

I love the buckets. I'm trying to decide between buckets like those you have and grow bags (also sold pretty cheap at groworganic). I found a piece Mel wrote up on his main site about potatoes, so that gave me a pretty good idea of what I was going to need to do.

I was just wondering, how do you know when to stop covering the potatoes? Is it just when I run out of room in whatever my growing container is? Also - how many seeds did you start in that bucket? It looks like almost two feet rounded. Thank you Jackie, for all the wonderful stories and info. Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? 3170584802
moldeen85
moldeen85

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieB999 2/1/2013, 9:27 am

Patience for sale? Anyone? Anyone? LOL, I'm sure it would cost a fortune!

Yes, just keep covering the sprouts until you reach the top of your container. Leave a few inches for water. I think Rooster said they will grow about 3 foot high after that. When the plant starts to yellow and fall over, it's time to harvest. Or, we can pick some early if we want new potatoes.

I planted 7 pieces that each had a few eyes on them. I hope it's not too many. My bucket is pretty big, so I'm hoping to get 15-20# of potatoes out of it. I got it at Home Depot for $6.99 and thought that was a darn good price.

I've seen those bags too. I think they were called Gardensoxx, and you can buy them by the foot for about $1 a foot. Let me know if that's what you go with and how they do.

Rooster... one out of 5 ain't bad! Very Happy
JackieB999
JackieB999

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 2/1/2013, 11:07 am

Here is what I will be trying this year. I want to grow Blue potatoes so I'm building a 2' x 2' x 2' box and following these instructions.
How to Grow 100 lbs. of Potatoes in 4 Square Feet

and here are some more instructions on growing taters.
Irish Eyes Garden Seeds - Growing Potatoes
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/1/2013, 11:15 am

Moldeen85,

Try www.potatogarden.com. It sells quite a few varieties of potatoes in one-pound lots for $5.00. That's where I plan to get mine this year!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/1/2013, 11:35 am

2-1/2# bag from seedsavers.org is $10 plus shipping
5# bag is $16.25 plus shipping.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 2/1/2013, 12:25 pm

Home Depot here in so CA has small packages of a couple of varieties of seed potatoes on the shelf right now.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 2/1/2013, 7:54 pm

You might want to see if your grocery store sells organic potatoes.
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 2/1/2013, 8:49 pm

I've had my best luck with organic potatoes I've bought from the grocery store. I choose some from a bin that tastes good, buy a few and let them sprout. Actually I save a couple back each time I buy some good potatoes and see which ones sprout. Works for me.. Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? 3170584802 OH... and I never cut them up, small whole ones work best for me...Smile
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/1/2013, 9:13 pm

I think Rooster said they will grow about 3 foot high after that.

I don't believe I've ever said that actually.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/1/2013, 9:15 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:
I think Rooster said they will grow about 3 foot high after that.

I don't believe I've ever said that actually.
I did. I mentioned it because they will sprawl all over the place.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Potatoes - Seed Potatoes - In small quantities? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 2/1/2013, 9:55 pm

Moldeen85,
Try a Walmart shopping bag for a container, set it in water and it works great. Will be using several and they are only 50 cents apiece.
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down