Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Vermont - the ice box - Toplef10Hello from Vermont - the ice box - 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Vermont - the ice box - I22gcj10Hello from Vermont - the ice box - 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Vermont - the ice box - Toplef10Hello from Vermont - the ice box - 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Vermont - the ice box - I22gcj10Hello from Vermont - the ice box - 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 5:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 2:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 3:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 3:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 6:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 6:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 6:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/3/2024, 11:08 pm

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 3:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 7:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 12:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 12:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 11:27 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 2:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 4:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 6:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 11:13 am

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 7:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 12:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 1:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 9:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 4:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 7:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 5:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 4:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 2:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 10:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 10:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/17/2024, 11:25 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Vermont - the ice box -

5 posters

Go down

Hello from Vermont - the ice box - Empty Hello from Vermont - the ice box -

Post  peter.burke.56884 1/5/2013, 8:57 am

I've been using the Square Foot Garden method since 1981 when the first book came out. Yup we double dug our beds back then, down to at least a foot! And yes I used 12" wide boards for paths...oh what difference it is now. I got my Teacher Certification when they first became avaiable. I was teaching classes at our local Coops for two years before that. Peolple love the class. I decided to give Mel's All New technique a try on a section of lawn we wanted to convert to garden. Of course I taught a class at the same time having complete faith that it would work. The 6" depth was my one concern after putting so much work into the double digging to 12" deep beds previously. I had already started to use boxes and had made my paths wider before the book. And I was using trellis' that were over 20 years old so I knew everything else would work. The 6" boxes were a complete success and I'll never go back to double digging. This year I plan to trial small plots of wheat to see what kind of yield I can get. Every year I add something new. Outside is frozen now but I grow big batches of salad green indoors through the winter. I love to garden. Peter
peter.burke.56884
peter.burke.56884

Male Posts : 4

http://thedailygardener.com

Back to top Go down

Hello from Vermont - the ice box - Empty Re: Hello from Vermont - the ice box -

Post  camprn 1/5/2013, 9:13 am

Hi Peter, glad you\'re here to the SFG Forum! I am down south of you a ways in Keene, NH. I am so glad you are here! If you have any photos of your garden please do post them.

See ya 'round the Forum, Neighbor!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Hello from Vermont - the ice box - WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Hello from Vermont - the ice box - Empty Vermont

Post  peter.burke.56884 1/5/2013, 10:06 am

Hi Camp,
Thanks for the kind welcome. I have lots of photos I'll post as I get more familiar with the site.
peter.burke.56884
peter.burke.56884

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/5/2013, 10:34 am

Welcome to the forum Peter. It'll be nice to have an expert who's seen it and done it all. Your experience will be an advantage to us all.

Not having to double dig is a big change from years ago and a great one. No sense bringing those dormant weed seeds to the top so they can sprout. I like to keep those buried and just add fresh compost to the top 3 inches of soil. Works a treat.

Hope to see pics of your garden in the spring. Again, Welcome.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 1/5/2013, 12:45 pm

Welcome Peter welcome Boy those boards bring back memories! My friend and I went to a library to hear Mel talk about sfg and we each bought an autographed book and got started. We each did it our own way. She did the boards on the ground so she probably double dug. I did the 4' x 4' beds. I am trying to remember but I think I only had a few beds. Our soil was so bad and funds were low. Those were the days when we mixed 1/3 of our native soil in the beds!

After a few years my beds started falling apart. I had nailed them together. I was so busy working, taking care of my husband and family and I just went back to row gardening. Boy was that a lot of work, rototilling every Spring, measuring out the rows and trying to keep them straight and most of all, pulling weeds constantly!

I went back to sfg about three years ago and I didn't know there was a new way of making MM so I did it the way I did before. Now I am trying to make enough compost to replace all the stuff in my 9 beds that are 4' x 6'. The wood on the beds is 8" deep but I had dug down another 4" and put my weed block fabric down. So I actually have my beds 12" deep but there has been some settling. This was before I got on this forum and slowly realized there was the new way of making MM. I also had lots of ferrel cats using the beds as their litter boxes for several years no matter what I tried, so I am sure that is partially why some of the beds did terrible growing things. I ended up having to set traps because nothing else worked.

So when I remake my beds, I am going to move that soil out, hopefully reuse the weed block and not have them deeper than 8", except where I grow potatoes and maybe carrots have those boxes deeper.

BTW, did you know there is a Second Edition of the sfg book that is coming out in February? I only had the old book and was planning on getting the ANSFG book but saw this one and ordered it.

It is nice to have you join the forum and have your experience! We have lots of great and knowledgeable people here and we all like to see and read about each other's experiences as well as help when we can!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/5/2013, 3:03 pm

Welcome Peter. happy hi
That reminds me of when I started SFGing I had had the 1981 book on my bookshelf for years and years, ( a 50c copy bought by my husband from a garage sale), read it several times and promised myself I would start veggie gardening.
I remember I was going to start digging the following day after reading study the 1981 book yet again, but luckily for me I decided to see what I could find on the Internet and lo and behold what comes up, but Mels' website and I found that there was a later book published and I NEVER HAD TO DIG AGAIN but just lay my new beds on top of whatever there was. I was soooo happy. Then I found that there was a Forum connected to the site, and here I am, one commited SFGer. In addition, due to this site, I am also a commited compost wormer.
All the best to you.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/5/2013, 3:17 pm

Triciasgarden.....Isn't the new book coming out about garden recipes? I didn't think it was a new ANSFG.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/5/2013, 3:53 pm

quiltbea wrote:Triciasgarden.....Isn't the new book coming out about garden recipes? I didn't think it was a new ANSFG.
There was a SFG Answer book that came out in December and the All New Square Foot Gardening Book, Second Edition will be released in February 2013.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Hello from Vermont - the ice box - WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/5/2013, 5:26 pm

Oooh, that means I'm going to have to add to my bookshelves. I can't miss out on a Mel's book.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/6/2013, 9:14 am

I thought that we already had two editions of Mel's book, then I realized that the first and second titles were different, by the additon of the word NEW. So this will be the second edition of the NEW book. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Hello from Vermont - the ice box - Empty Vermont

Post  peter.burke.56884 1/6/2013, 9:38 am

Hi Quiltbea, Triciagarden and Kelejan, Thanks for the welcome. I have Mel's cookbook too and it is really good. I was kind of skeptical when I saw it but I have tried many of the recipes and like them a lot. My family like the Roasted Potato dish.
peter.burke.56884
peter.burke.56884

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down