Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 Toplef10Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 I22gcj10Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 Toplef10Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 I22gcj10Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Leaves, compost, leaves...

+27
n8915p
FamilyGardening
littlejo
GWN
efirvin
RoOsTeR
Turan
yolos
CWJones
floyd1440
fiddleman
Josh
TN_GARDENER
Goosegirl
walshevak
donnainzone5
landarch
Triciasgarden
CapeCoddess
quiltbea
toledobend
camprn
sfgteachers
plantoid
Kelejan
bnoles
llama momma
31 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 Empty Re: Leaves, compost, leaves...

Post  donnainzone5 11/17/2012, 10:47 am

So.... What is a reasonable expectation as to the ratio between bags of leaves and shredded leaves? 1:12, 1:10, 1:6, or what? I have 25-30 bags now and plan to utilize my neighbors' shredder this week. Very Happy

donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/17/2012, 11:20 am

donnainzone10 wrote:So.... What is a reasonable expectation as to the ratio between bags of leaves and shredded leaves? 1:12, 1:10, 1:6, or what? I have 25-30 bags now and plan to utilize my neighbors' shredder this week. Very Happy

I believe it would depend upon how fine you chop them as to the final yield of chopped leaves.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/17/2012, 12:11 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:So.... What is a reasonable expectation as to the ratio between bags of leaves and shredded leaves? 1:12, 1:10, 1:6, or what? I have 25-30 bags now and plan to utilize my neighbors' shredder this week. Very Happy

I used my leaf collector/shredder, and I found that 8 bags reduced to five. They were not shredded very finely, just a bit better than the whole leaves but it wshould help compared to last year when none were shredded.
The leaves that my neighbour gave me were much finer and I could hardly lift each bag.
So I guess it all depends on the shredder. I do doubt the 16 to one ratio that was mentioned with the Toro shredder someone used earlier.
ETA; it was LlamaMamma who had the Toro, and she said later that it did not do anywhere near 16 bags to one.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 11/17/2012, 1:39 pm

littlejo wrote:
I have a new composting book, Compost Gardening, and learned something new, if it is true. Leaves should be 'leached' well before they will be ready for composting, to remove the ligin. I guess that means they must be wet first? then dried, chipped, then composted?
Jo

This got me curious about lignin . I knew it is part of woody stuff along with cellulose. What I learned is that it is very slow to decompose and resists water. In plants it is used to glue things together and for the movement of water (I guess like a bucket needs to be water proof?). Sooooo..... what does that remind you of in MM? I went looking for a peat analysis and found out that sure nuff peat is 40+% lignin. If peat bogs are not leaching out the lignin I doubt we will either and possibly we should not worry about it.

I am thinking that we are composting out the cellulose as a brown and the lignin starts its slow process to humic acid. Shredding leaves gives more exposure to the cellulose and thus speeds the process.

Last edited by camprn on 11/17/2012, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote box)

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/17/2012, 1:50 pm

It is the lignin that allow trees to stand tall.
Somewhere in Washington State there is a huge forest that was burnt many years ago and is still standing but dead. It is the lignin that holds it together. Apparently the whole area's ecosystem is dead, and if they were to introduce insects such as ants it would eventually fall down and things would begin to grow naturally. That was according to a plaque we read. For some reason they keep it as a monument. A waste IMO.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 11/17/2012, 1:51 pm

Turan......I just know that using fallen leaves in your garden compost is a good thing so the chemical analysis isn't a problem.
My philosphy is: If it works, use it.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 11/17/2012, 2:21 pm

quiltbea wrote:Turan......I just know that using fallen leaves in your garden compost is a good thing so the chemical analysis isn't a problem.
My philosphy is: If it works, use it.

Agree completily.

I was responding to what Little jo had read in a composting book. I am not sure why my quote thingy did not work.

We all know through experience that leaves work well in compost but can have issues with matting and taking a long time. The lignin content is to blame, but it is not going to leach out.

Here is a really interesting article on Leaf Mold from Organic Gardening. Among other things they are suggesting using leaf mold instead of peat in mixtures.

http://www.organicgardeningzen.com/gardening-guide/leaf-mold-guide/

It has one error that I can now see (having researched lignin all morning now, What a Face ), lignin is not cellulose.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/17/2012, 5:28 pm

Here is my leaf shredding set up.

First I have a huge live oak tree very near my garden. That helps a lot in obtaining the necessary leaves.
Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 Dscn0222

So I used my mulching/leaf bagging mower to mow the leaves and emptied the leaves between two rows of my garden. This kept them from blowing around.
Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 Dscn0223

My grandson slowed me down a little. He just had to play in the leaves. Didn't we all when we were kids.
Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 Dscn0225

Then I used stuff laying around the house and garden to make a corral so the leaves would not blow around when I mulched them. The corral was built at the end of the row where I stacked the leaves and right in front of the compost bin. So I just used a flat head shovel to shovel the shredded leaves into the bin. Although my mower has a bag to catch the leaves, I do not use it for this job because I like to mow over the leaves about 2 - 3 times to make them as small as possible.
Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 Dscn0224

Here is the finished product. Some of the leaves are bigger than I want them, but some are almost the size of sawdust they are so small.
Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 Shredd10

The smaller the better but you have to be careful that they do not pack down too much. I will have to do some turning of the bin to keep air in the pile or do as Camprn does and make a few smoke stacks.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 Empty leaves in bags

Post  n8915p 11/17/2012, 9:22 pm

I have read and wanted to try this but I don't usually bag leaves. Just leave the leaves in the blag garbage bags over winter in the sun and they are supposed to start decomposiing.
n8915p
n8915p

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/18/2012, 3:21 am

Turan wrote:

Here is a really interesting article on Leaf Mold from Organic Gardening. Among other things they are suggesting using leaf mold instead of peat in mixtures.

http://www.organicgardeningzen.com/gardening-guide/leaf-mold-guide/

Turan
I Appreciate this article very much Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 3170584802
Yesterday I made and filled a new leaf-mold holding bin only 4ft diameter because I was stuck in a compost mind set. Luckily I didn't cut off the excess wire. Later today with this new knowledge I'll open it up to make a wider bin and add cardboard sides.
Once Again I continue to learn from so many helpful folks on this forum! BIG hug
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 11/25/2012, 10:06 pm

Oh...... for a pile of leaves like this cyclops

Lots of leaves
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/26/2012, 7:52 am

What a great video! OH Wow! I'd love to be 30 years younger and one of those kids. That was fun to watch. That pile puts my collection to shame. Smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/26/2012, 11:44 am

OMG! That video is crazy! All I could think of was, please don't let a bare leg meet up with a stick.
Oiy...

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 11/26/2012, 7:23 pm

Will a pile of plain leaves get hot?

Today I took my turkey thermometer out to my compost piles, but they didn't seem to be very hot. I have layers of all kinds of things on the piles, but also a lot of leaves, topped with seaweed. Granted, it was cold outside - I know weather shouldn't affect the temp greatly, but still.

It might be that I haven't aerated the pile in a long time, but I just wondered if leaves alone would produce a heated pile, because if so, mine should be heated with all those leaves.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/26/2012, 7:37 pm

Dried leaves are mostly carbon, not nitrogen. I have had leaves sitting in a hoop by themselves for a few years. They never got hot but are breaking down slowly.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/27/2012, 6:50 am

I saw an article that a plain pile of leaves could take a couple of years to break down. That's your leaf mold. If you want to speed things up towards the end you can turn it into more of a compost heap by adding finished compost to jumpstart the microbial decomposition.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/27/2012, 8:03 am

llama momma wrote:I saw an article that a plain pile of leaves could take a couple of years to break down. That's your leaf mold. If you want to speed things up towards the end you can turn it into more of a compost heap by adding finished compost to jumpstart the microbial decomposition.
I think greens for nitrogen should be added as well so that the microbes have something to feed on?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/27/2012, 11:32 am

Oops, I think 'finished' compost was not the best choice of words. Compost would have been better. Meaning active compost. Wish I could name the source of the info but it went something like this, the carb portion, or browns, was the food or energy for the microbes and the nitrogen source, or greens was important for reproduction of the microbes. I'll try to track down the source so I can back this up with facts. Embarassed Active compost would have a good variety of microbes and benefit the final breakdown of the leaves. Or without compost we know alfalfa pellets can be added too. No big deal which source is used.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 11/27/2012, 11:37 am

I have layers including coffee grinds from the local shop, wood fragments from rotten logs in the woods, dried leaves, garden debris, and seaweed, along with kitchen scraps. I'd think my pile would be roaring hot, but no.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/27/2012, 12:13 pm

Bunny pellets or straight alfalfa pellets, bloodmeal, manure? Just tossing out some more green ideas for you. Then there is always urine at 1:20 dilution rate too...... maybe there is something in that list you can use..
Also check the moisture and aeration. The pile will still break down in time, some say a slow cold pile will be more nutritious, but I can think of pros and cons to both hot piles and cold... Sure would be nice to have everything perfect to start off spring planting. I'm still mulching, building compost piles, and corraling all these blasted leaves at my place..
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 11/27/2012, 12:33 pm

Thanks for the nudge, I'm heading out there right now to twist a pitchfork in it some.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/27/2012, 1:46 pm

NHGardener wrote:I have layers including coffee grinds from the local shop, wood fragments from rotten logs in the woods, dried leaves, garden debris, and seaweed, along with kitchen scraps. I'd think my pile would be roaring hot, but no.

How big is your pile? That has a bearing on it as well. Recommended size is 3x3 to 4x4. (feet)
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 11/27/2012, 1:55 pm

That could be it too - I'm building my piles right into my new 4x8 beds, so it heaps to 2' in the middle.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/27/2012, 4:40 pm

NHG, you have good stuff in your pile.

My compost piles have lots of leaves, too...and most of them are from scrub oak, which are like leather. As I pile the leaves, I water it, then sprinkle some finished compost over it between every 2 mower bags full, along with all the other stuff like you mentioned. Leaves, compost, leaves... - Page 6 Photo111

Not sure I'd put logs in it, even rotted. Don't they use up nitrogen fast?

Do you have access to already made compost? Like LM, I really believe that's key...

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 11/27/2012, 7:08 pm

Huh. Well, if the rotted log wood uses up the nitrogen fast, that might be okay because there's more nitrogen than carbon in there, with all the coffee grounds I've put on the piles, and then the seaweed on top. I read the balance should be 4 parts carbon to 1 part nitrogen, in general.

I took a pitchfork to the piles today and gave them a good twist. They weren't frozen, like my smaller (1x8) beds were, so that's good. I need to invest in a good compost thermometer.

Another thing I put in there a month or so back was black soil from the woods which was decomposed around rocks. That stuff must be super high in nutrients. Along with some moss growing around the rocks. I'm hoping there might even be some minerals in it, absorbed from the rocks.

One could just grow a compost pile instead of a garden, it's fun. Smile

cc, is that shredded paper on your pile?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next