Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
True to type from seed Toplef10True to type from seed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

True to type from seed I22gcj10True to type from seed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
True to type from seed Toplef10True to type from seed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

True to type from seed I22gcj10True to type from seed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

True to type from seed

+4
littlejo
Squat_Johnson
camprn
bwaynef
8 posters

Go down

True to type from seed Empty True to type from seed

Post  bwaynef 8/22/2012, 12:57 pm

I planted a few pepper plants this spring: Giant marconi, Yellow Bell, and Red Bell. I'm almost certain they were (at least distributed) by Bonnie.

Does anyone know (or better yet, have experience) if they'll reproduce true to type from seed?

(I have the same question about Sweet 100 tomatoes, though I'm not familiar with their provenance.)
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

True to type from seed Empty Re: True to type from seed

Post  camprn 8/22/2012, 1:08 pm

If they are hybrids, most likely next years fruits will not be the same as what you grew this year. That being said, you will still have peppers, if the seed is viable.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

True to type from seed WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 8/22/2012, 1:49 pm

Am I to assume that these are Hybrids then? What are the chances that they'll be red/yellow respectively?
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/22/2012, 2:22 pm

I usually rely on the adage, 'Never assume anything'. Look up the varieties to determine if they are hybrids. Usually if peppers stay on the plant long enough they will turn a color other than green.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

True to type from seed WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 8/22/2012, 4:04 pm

For what it's worth... I saved seeds on a couple of Bonnie Hybrid peppers and a Bonnie tomato. They turned out good, and I am now growing their 5th generation. This was before I was on this forum and had any sense. I got lucky I guess.

I have since seen some Hybrid tomato seeds that I saved are not true. My luck ran out...
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 8/22/2012, 8:25 pm

You could call them or just go there and ask, they have gardens/greenhouses in lots of places. Near to you in Spartanburg, SC.

You could ask where they get their seed, and if they are hybrids. It would be interesting to know but some of the stores use another nursery down here.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 8/23/2012, 7:33 am

Sweet 100 is a hybrid, the others probably are as well.

Shouldn't stop you from trying though. If you have a variety you really like of any of those you can always grow some out in pots next year and see what you get. Esp. the peppers, I doubt the Sweet 100 would be worth the time and effort it would take to breed a standardized Sweet 100 line when there are so many other good heirloom cherry tomatoes already available.

My hybrid pepper plants really out produce my heirloom pepper plants. Likely a combination of hybrid vigor and good parent selection of the breeders. Can get expensive buying good hybrid pepper starts though. I plan on starting with more heirloom pepper plants next year then using their seeds. Should get hybrid vigor out of those and some nice surprises in terms of variety.

CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 8/23/2012, 8:33 am

CharlesB wrote:Sweet 100 is a hybrid, the others probably are as well.

... I doubt the Sweet 100 would be worth the time and effort it would take to breed a standardized Sweet 100 line when there are so many other good heirloom cherry tomatoes already available.

Interesting that you say that. I found out that the tomatoes I have are F1 (if I'm using the term correctly: these are plants grown from seeds of Sweet 100s, first generation, right?) Sweet 100s. My dad got some from my (crazy) Uncle. The plants are COVERED in little cherry tomatoes that are the sweetest I've ever tasted. Peculiarly, upon getting loads of these tomatoes, my 3 year old son declared that he doesn't like tomatoes anymore and I'm left to eat them myself. I'll manage.

Regardless, I'll keep the seeds from these tomatoes and see what I get out of them. I don't plan on doing any breeding or selecting ...but I'll grow (and eat) whatever these produce and if they're much different than the tomatoes I'm eating now, I guess I'll seek out actual Sweet 100s. (All that said, I'll also take recommendations of high-producing excellent tasting heirloom cherry tomatoes.)

My hybrid pepper plants really out produce my heirloom pepper plants. Likely a combination of hybrid vigor and good parent selection of the breeders. Can get expensive buying good hybrid pepper starts though. I plan on starting with more heirloom pepper plants next year then using their seeds. Should get hybrid vigor out of those and some nice surprises in terms of variety.

What do you mean when you say you "should get hybrid vigor" having started with heirloom peppers after saying that hybrids out-produce the heirlooms?
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 8/23/2012, 1:18 pm

bwaynef wrote:What do you mean when you say you "should get hybrid vigor" having started with heirloom peppers after saying that hybrids out-produce the heirlooms?

More than you want to know about hybrid vigor :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosis

You can skip to the "In plants" and "Corn" section for the good parts.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 8/23/2012, 3:08 pm

So, you start with heirloom peppers (for instance) next year ...and take your lumps (smaller harvest), to save the seeds that they produce ...that have been pollinated by, among others, the hybrids that you'll have around.

Having new genetic data (compared to a tried-and-true strain of heirloom peppers) from the OP between the heirloom & hybrid will hopefully/likely yield "hybrid vigor" in the resulting seedlings?

^^
Am I getting this right?

How do you ensure that you get the same quality/flavor from the heirlooms once you're growing the F1 seedlings?
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 8/24/2012, 9:43 am

There are many factors that go in to what one wants to grow. Much more than just yield. I don't put much value in total yield. I grow a few plants that I know are monster yielders but > 95% of the other plants I grow are for other reasons.

For growing a lot of peppers my plan was to grow a bunch of heirloom peppers at one of my community gardens and use the seeds from this for the next year. Most of these seeds will not be crosses, or F1's or hybrids. They will simply be the same variety as they will polinate themselves. If doing this I will grow all heirlooms at that plot and not mix in any hybrids.

I don't mean to make this sound complicated. I like the experimentation of it and if I try something that fails miserably I chalk it up to lesson learned and move on.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 8/24/2012, 9:54 am

bwaynef wrote:
Interesting that you say that. I found out that the tomatoes I have are F1 (if I'm using the term correctly: these are plants grown from seeds of Sweet 100s, first generation, right?)

no, F1 means they are "filial 1", the first generation of a cross between distinctly different parental types.

most of the valued heirlooms are not wild seed, they are cultivars. they are the result of intentional selection of best examples to propagate.

"true to seed" is kind of along the same lines as "true to size" in patternmaking (which is my other area of study). "true" depends on what you use for a standard. in the case of a seed, it means that a hybrid goes back to its origins. this is the seed's truth, regardless of our human desires. Smile
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/24/2012, 10:15 am

Just a slight bit off topic, I grew 3 hybrid pepper types last year, and they totally cross pollinated, and some plants had a total mishmash of colours.
It was a real shame because one type, a purple one, I did not like much and somehow there were purple peppers on all the plants.
This year I have stuck to two heirlooms to keep things clean and no crosses.
I am just learning some of this stuff too.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 8/24/2012, 1:00 pm

CharlesB wrote:
...grow a bunch of heirloom peppers at one of my community gardens and use the seeds from this for the next year. Most of these seeds will not be crosses, or F1's or hybrids. They will simply be the same variety as they will polinate themselves."

Then how does that induce "Hybrid Vigor" or Heterosis?

Rowena wrote:no, F1 means they are "filial 1", the first generation of a cross between distinctly different parental types.

It would be a mistake for me to assume that the only variety of tomato that my (crazy) uncle grew were Sweet 100s. Wouldn't the seeds from the (known) Sweet 100 tomatoes likely have been pollinated by other tomatoes ...thereby growing into something that couldn't realistically be referred to as Sweet 100?
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/24/2012, 1:12 pm

bwaynef wrote:

It would be a mistake for me to assume that the only variety of tomato that my (crazy) uncle grew were Sweet 100s. Wouldn't the seeds from the (known) Sweet 100 tomatoes likely have been pollinated by other tomatoes ...thereby growing into something that couldn't realistically be referred to as Sweet 100?

Generally speaking tomatoes are self pollinating. Not 100% but close enough generally. Pollinator made a good suggestion in another thread about looking at the flower carefully to see if the stigma sticks out past the anthers to see how likely out crossing is. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t13622-rookie-topic-heirlooms-vs-hybrids

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/24/2012, 1:15 pm

A great website full of information on this I just found. It has a good picture to illustrate about the stigma also.

I n t e r n a t i o n a l S e e d S a v i n g I n s t i t u t e <~~Click Link

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 8/24/2012, 1:34 pm

Turan wrote:
bwaynef wrote:

Generally speaking tomatoes are self pollinating.

this is partly correct, the tomato plant has what is called a perfect flower, meaning that it has both male and female structures within a single blossom. it is self-fertile, which means it can pollinate itself and does not require an additional plant of its type in order to reproduce. but it requires the help of wind or vibration of insects to cause the pollen to drop from the male to the female structures. thus, it is possible to sequester or quarantine the first flowers on a tomato plant in order to prevent them from contamination, and yet have them produce viable fruit.

tomatoes can and do cross-pollinate but that is rare without help, because the pollen doesn't usually travel beyond its own flower cluster. buzzing insects often carry it but if a blossom has already fertilized itself, no additional pollen will affect it, and the presence of a buzzing bee is enough to cause a tomato flower to self-fertilize.

it is certainly possible to pollinate tomatoes by hand, but really all it takes is just a mild shake of the plant, rather than the transfer of pollen from blossom to blossom as is done with plants that produce distinct male and female flowers.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 9/3/2012, 1:49 pm

bwaynef wrote:I planted a few pepper plants this spring: Giant marconi, Yellow Bell, and Red Bell. I'm almost certain they were (at least distributed) by Bonnie.

Does anyone know (or better yet, have experience) if they'll reproduce true to type from seed?

I found a website learning about tomatoes that would suggest that the marconis can be grown from seed:
http://www.rodgersheirlooms.com/plants-for-2012.html You'll have to search, but its there.
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down