Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Blue corn not actually blue Toplef10Blue corn not actually blue 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Blue corn not actually blue I22gcj10Blue corn not actually blue 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Blue corn not actually blue Toplef10Blue corn not actually blue 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Blue corn not actually blue I22gcj10Blue corn not actually blue 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Blue corn not actually blue

4 posters

Go down

Blue corn not actually blue Empty Blue corn not actually blue

Post  littlesapphire 8/2/2012, 5:07 pm

I planted corn for the very first time this year, in brand new MM. The kind of corn I planted is a variety called blue jade, which is a dwarf kind that's said to be good for containers because it only gets to be three feet tall (it's so cute!).

I really like this corn. Despite not knowing what I was doing and growing in new MM which I always find to be hard to grow in, it's really taken off. Each stalk has at least three silks! Some stalks even have two or three silks growing from the same leaf crotch! It's so amazing. I'm going to plant this variety again next year.

The only problem I have with it is.... It's white! It's supposed to be a blue corn, but all the ears are pure white. I will say that some of th e silks were blue, but not all of them.

Am I maybe picking the corn too early? Or maybe this is caused by a lack of nutrients? I'm totally lost.

Oh yeah, and one more question maybe someone who knows corn can answer. The tassles and the silks didn't sync up. The tassles started releasing pollen several weeks before most of the silks even emerged, which I've read is most likely due to poor nutrition. I got maybe a dozen silks out before I noticed the tassles where completely done releasing pollen. However, I noticed that some unpollenated silks have actually started developing into ears! I know for a fact that they didn't get pollinated because the leaves started to come out of the leaf crotch like silks were about to emerge, but the silks never come out and instead it just got really fat. So I picked them and although small, they had fully developed kernels that were sweet and tasty just like the pollinated ears. I'm so confused!

It's really too late to do anything about my corn this year, but I would love to solve these mysteries so I'll be a better corn grower next year!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Blue corn not actually blue Empty Re: Blue corn not actually blue

Post  camprn 8/2/2012, 5:48 pm

I have read about this variety and the kernels are white when small but turn a blue color as the ears reach maturity.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Blue corn not actually blue WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/2/2012, 6:53 pm

Oh that's good to know! I'll try to be more patient with the other ears then Smile
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/2/2012, 7:24 pm

QUOTE__Oh yeah, and one more question maybe someone who knows corn can answer. The tassles and the silks didn't sync up. The tassles started releasing pollen several weeks before most of the silks even emerged, which I've read is most likely due to poor nutrition. I got maybe a dozen silks out before I noticed the tassles where completely done releasing pollen. However, I noticed that some unpollenated silks have actually started developing into ears! I know for a fact that they didn't get pollinated because the leaves started to come out of the leaf crotch like silks were about to emerge, but the silks never come out and instead it just got really fat. So I picked them and although small, they had fully developed kernels that were sweet and tasty just like the pollinated ears. I'm so confused!

Two of my beds did the same thing, sent up tassels, then weeks later the silk came, but the pollen had already fallen off for the most part. Some stalks were a foot tall, some a little higher, some 8 feet. I'm attributing it to poor nutrition. You can end up with "ears" with no pollination, but there might not be any kernels on the ears. This happened to me last year, but only on a few ears that weren't pollinated, just got cobs. Hope your corn turns blue! Keep us posted. would love to see pics. I love growing the different types of things!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 8/2/2012, 9:25 pm

Corn is a mysterious plant, but corn is sooooooo tasty! My best guess: corn is pollinated by the wind and by bees/bugs. Sometimes the pollen from the tassel falls into the little crook where the silks come out of. It is pollenated as it grows. Also, all it takes is 1 tassel and a few bees. Also, a bee could be getting the pollen from the neighbors.
If you wait til the silk turns brown, corn will be ripe and will have a blue tinge. It may not be real blue unless it is left to dry on the stalk.

I read somewhere (on this forum, maybe) about someone getting some of the pollen in a shoebox, and saving til silks came out. Might be an idea for next yr.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/8/2012, 10:45 am

Littlejo, I think you're right about the pollen falling into the cracks of the leaves. That's the only thing that makes sense! I'm totally going to try the shoebox trick next year if the tassels and silks don't sync up again.

Ok, so I have a couple of things I'd like to share, just in case anyone's interesting. I decided that since none of the silks were developing into ears anymore, I'd cut the stalks down and count up all the silks/baby corn I had. I was just curious what I might have had if the silks and tassels had synced up. Total count for all baby corn and all fully developed corn was 90! 90 potential ears from just 8 squares of corn! I'm going to grow this variety again next year, hopefully with better luck.

The next thing I want to share is a picture I took. I let this ear of corn ripen on the stalk longer than I really felt comfortable with because I wanted to see if it would turn blue.

I took the picture next to a store bought ear just for comparison. Remember this was a dwarf variety of corn and the ears are supposed to be that small.

Blue corn not actually blue Dsc_8010

Lol, it turned out butter and sugar colored, no sign of blue in sight. But I'm not disappointed!

And in case anyone's interested, it was very good. The store bought corn was sugar enhanced, and both hubby and I thought the old-time corn flavor of the blue jade corn was much better, even if it wasn't as sweet.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down