Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 Toplef10reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 I22gcj10reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 Toplef10reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 I22gcj10reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Other Gardening Books!

+32
trolleydriver
talentetta
AtlantaMarie
CapeCoddess
Vash_the_Stampede
llama momma
has55
sanderson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
jimmy cee
SFGHealthCoach
WriterCPA
brainchasm
drixnot
littlesapphire
HOUSTONMOM
mschaef
quiltbea
janezee
martha
fiddleman
plantoid
Patty from Yorktown
madnicmom
davidclubb
Furbalsmom
happyfrog
staf74
Megan
erbarnett
jenjehle
camprn
36 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 Empty Re: Other Gardening Books!

Post  llama momma 3/9/2014, 4:37 pm

Sanderson,
 reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 3170584802
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 Empty Re: Other Gardening Books!

Post  Vash_the_Stampede 9/4/2014, 11:32 pm

Hello,

Lots of great reading options. I think I'll get that Rodale's guide to composting for sure and probably 1 of the Eliot Coleman books as well.

thanks
Vash_the_Stampede
Vash_the_Stampede

Male Posts : 54

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/27/2014, 12:23 pm

Bump. 
Very Happy
Go to the beginning of the thread. Please write any about books you may have found useful and would recommend.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/26/2014, 8:36 am

Beautiful photos, how to's and recipes. A fun book for those of us who are expanding from the boxes to the entire yard.
reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 Img_2084reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 Img_2085

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/26/2014, 9:11 am

Oh, yes!  I found this at the library, CC.  It's wonderful!  (And goes well with your slippers, lol)

Another good one is Carrots Love Tomatoes.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/26/2014, 4:02 pm

Every year, I tell my kids not to get anything for Ken and I.  We are at that stage where we have everything.  This year I gave in to a DIL and told her this was the only thing I had been considering.  Page 28 SFG plus a photo. reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 Book_c12
I thought it may be good because it provides varieties for our climates.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/28/2014, 9:51 am

I have so many books on gardening now,that I am putting a binder together and making notes on tips that I can use, along with the plants I'll grow.
This way I can have it where needed and read just what I want...
I think it'll work for me as long as I remember to take it out of the rain
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 Empty Non-reference book to read

Post  talentetta 4/6/2015, 10:59 pm

i found Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" an eye opener into why we should eat local. She chronicles her family's year long adventure in doing that in Southwest VA. I never gave much thought to eating produce trucked across the world for me to eat at any time. There is a reason eating from your own SFG is the way to go! Read it on my phone as a library download. First book I tried that with, now I love to have an easy to carry book at all times.
talentetta

Female Posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/7/2015, 2:04 am

jimmy cee wrote: a binder together and making notes. I think it'll work for me as long as I remember to take it out of the rain

Reminds me. I recently planted the cantaloup and winter squash seeds and watered, including the seed packets! Thank goodness I had put the seeds in 2" x 2" ziplock baggies.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/12/2016, 2:27 pm

Bump. Some of you have recently posted that you bought new/used gardening books. Please post them here or they will get lost in other posts. Thanks

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/12/2016, 2:39 pm

- "The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener" by Niki Jabbour, 2011 (I borrowed this from my local library)

- ""Grocery Gardening" by Jean Ann Van Krevelen, 2009 (I bought this one at a discount book store)
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 1/12/2016, 8:21 pm

I just bought The Fruit Gardener's Bible.

reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 2Q==

It's kind of basic, but that's what I needed.  I'm pretty much a newb as far as fruit goes, even though I've been growing it for many years, lol.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/12/2016, 10:52 pm

from my library:  

Four Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman--may need to buy this one

Sugar Snaps and Strawberries by   Andrea Bellamy, more of a pretty container gardening thing, photos are goregeous, some ideas, nothing much new though

and the original Mel's book, spacing issues with potatoes...BTW, he does not mention potatoes in that tome....no taters  

Relative value?  Four Season Harvest, despite the whole "we went to France n the same latitude blah blah..." he does have tons of valuable back to the homesteading type info that is really great!  And I like his stuff about schedules, and succession planting which I have never done really.  I might buy this one. study

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 1/12/2016, 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/13/2016, 7:50 am

A very interesting and informative read on what is going on down below within the area of your plants roots.
For me, this book and the one on attracting beneficial bugs  has changed the way I do gardening.
Hopefully it's for the better.

reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 Microb13
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/13/2016, 7:48 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Beautiful photos, how to's and recipes. A fun book for those of us who are expanding from the boxes to the entire yard.
reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 Img_2084reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 Img_2085

CC

I am interested in this, CC! Thanks cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/14/2016, 4:57 pm

It's a great book, SR! I found a copy at the library...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/14/2016, 6:56 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:It's a great book, SR!  I found a copy at the library...

I will ask!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 Empty bump

Post  StrongAsMeat 5/8/2016, 7:36 am

Food to Grow 

reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 61oR-d-I1BL._SX440_BO1,204,203,200_

I bought this book when it came out, he's the weatherman on a breakfast TV show we love, and it's what got me interested in trying my hand at gardening. It's chocked full of great info. I've moved on to the ANSFG but this is still worth a read
StrongAsMeat
StrongAsMeat

Male Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/8/2016, 9:24 am

Looks like a good read! That is my winter "gardening"= reading about gardening! Lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  mlpii66 3/25/2017, 11:20 am

camprn wrote:I think I am putting this book Winter Harvest Handbook on my gift wish list.
reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 19_large
A little late to the discussion but an excellent choice.  I keep the local libraries copy out almost all the time!  I should just break down and buy it.
mlpii66
mlpii66

Male Posts : 93

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 3/25/2017, 11:49 am

mlpii66 wrote:
camprn wrote:I think I am putting this book Winter Harvest Handbook on my gift wish list.
A little late to the discussion but an excellent choice.  I keep the local libraries copy out almost all the time!  I should just break down and buy it.
Just got this out from my library! Smile
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  mlpii66 3/25/2017, 2:32 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
mlpii66 wrote:
Just got this out from my library! Smile
Let me know what you think about it.  I've read articles by him from '70's & 80's Organic Gardening Magazine he seems to have stayed fairly true to course.
mlpii66
mlpii66

Male Posts : 93

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/25/2017, 8:25 pm

I own "Four Season Harvest" by Eliot Coleman, it is in my opinion, a must own for northern climers.  I don't currently own a cold frame, but it is my goal to build one.  He has tons of great tips for plants that are built to take the cold, not just shelter options. For example, I had never heard of Mache, or Corn Salad, until I read his 4 Seasons book.  Planted a few last fall, they SURVIVED with no protection at all.  Zero.  And it is the sweetest, nuttiest, best tasting little green I have ever tasted ever,  did I say EVER?  I mean yum.

Off soapbox.....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 3/30/2017, 6:59 pm

Loved the Winter Harvest Handbook! I own and read the Four-Season Harvest book (1999 revised, expanded version)  last year, before winter. In some ways I wish I’d also read WHH before this past winter, in other ways I’m glad I didn’t because I would have been disappointed with how little winter-gardening I did. I needed to start small and get a feel for things. I feel like between what I had read *about* this book, and what I got at Mother of a Hubbard (http://www.motherofahubbard.com/category/winter-vegetable-gardening/), I made a good first foray into winter gardening.

I liked the list of 30 cold-hardy vegetables. The sowing/harvesting scheduling scattered throughout the book which would frustrate me if not for the nice summarized table in my copy of the 4SH book. The book was more focused on farmers than gardeners, but still had plenty of useful information, and I took quite a few notes. The greenhouse rotations described were very impressive – I couldn’t quite wrap my mind around them – too much for a 2D diagram. I liked all the trial comparisons they made; I’d love to know about what’s been done since the book came out in 2009. I was able to find that the PVA covers they mentioned became available as Tufbell, but is now DIO-Betalon. I appreciated the chapter on ‘shallow’ vs ‘deep’ organic gardening, it's a useful way of thinking about the current meaning vs philosophy of "organic." (But an actual discussion on that would be better placed in the organic gardening section of the forum so I'll stop there.)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/30/2017, 7:31 pm

For gardeners who also have chickens - written by Lisa Steele, author of Fresh Eggs Daily, 170 pages

reference books - Other Gardening Books! - Page 3 Untitl13
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next