Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 Toplef10Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 I22gcj10Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 Toplef10Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 I22gcj10Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 12:08 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties

+28
walshevak
Lynda Elaine
KDeus
Carol Canning
FamilyGardening
squaredeal
cheyannarach
Turan
CapeCoddess
RoOsTeR
herblover
llama momma
quiltbea
CindiLou
Goosegirl
mmathedrader
littlesapphire
mapspringer
Squat_Johnson
Coelli
acara
camprn
jmsieglaff
CharlesB
Nonna.PapaVino
Gilly21
floyd1440
BetsyC
32 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 Empty Re: Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties

Post  CindiLou 6/1/2012, 3:22 pm

I usually have heirlooms going with a hybrid backup.

This year I have my Rutgers that I always plant. Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 410210

I am trying marglobe, which is a heirloom determinate, for canning.

I planted Burpee's supersteak for backup and earlier tomatoes.

For my cherry tomato this year I planted Husky Red Cherry. It is supposed to be a smaller indeterminate. We will see how that goes in MM. I am betting it grows as big as the others Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 889526

We all love eating them right off the vine and the kids would miss it.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 Empty Re: Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties

Post  quiltbea 6/1/2012, 3:58 pm

I guess I prefer the heirlooms but also the open-pollinated varieties because I love saving seeds. I've got quite a list growing again this year so I can save more. They include:

Black Plum, Pasquebot Roma, Roma VFN, Red Zebra, Green Zebra, Mexico Midget, Great White, Super Marmande, Nyagous, Velvet Red, Romeo Roma, Gilbertie (children of seed from campr last year), Sausage, Early Cherry, Black Cherry, Beaverlodge Slicer, Red Robin, Taxi, and Chico III along with Goldie, a Husk Cherry tomato. Most are new to me but Black Cherry and Early Cherry I know to be delicious and productive in my zone 5a. I've already bagged a Super Marmande, Green Zebra and Pasquebot Roma to save seeds with more bags ready to isolate new blossoms on the other varieties.

If you have too many tomatoes, remember you can roast them and freeze them to use later in sauces, chili, and soups. They have a terrific flavor when roasted in the oven for 2 hours.

Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 Roaste12

Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 Roaste13
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/1/2012, 4:04 pm

At what temperature are you roasting tomatoes for 2hours?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/1/2012, 5:07 pm

Roasted Tomatoes by Melissa d'Arabian on Food Network

Slice any whole tomatoes in half, place in large bowl, add olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic and thyme. Toss gently to coat.

Place on baking sheet cut-side up in 275*F oven for one hour. Turn them all over so cut-side is now down. Roast another hour.

You can use these immediately for a side dish or cool and put in freezer bags to freeze. To use in soups and sauces, just toss them into a sauce or soup frozen and they will thaw while cooking. I make them all the time and the family loves them.

Note: If you'd rather the skins be removed in making a dish, thaw out the toms and just lift the skins off. The come off easily.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/1/2012, 7:17 pm

Thank You so much! Printed and saved to my cookbook.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 Empty YES

Post  CharlesB 6/1/2012, 8:07 pm

camprn wrote: At the end of the season we can trade some seed, eh? What a Face

I would like that. I hope to get some interesting varieties out of the heirlooms for trade and for next year.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/1/2012, 8:12 pm

Squat_Johnson wrote:@Nonna.PapaVino - You sent me 4 Indigo Rose seeds, and they all are doing nicely. This is the first tomato I have seen that is dark purple when "green". I also have a couple Federle.

From Pattipan, I have WV '63 - I think there are 4- looking good

Dixie sent me Dixie's Sweet have several of those.

Also in the mix:
Brandywine,
Black Krim,
Cherokee Purple,
Husky Cherry,
Red Grapes,
Hillbilly,
Jet Star

What ever happened to Pattipan? I got my WV 63 seeds from her last year and they all germinated and have 8 planted in my SFG, also

Grape..from Johnny's

Brandywine

Mr. Stripey

But I am hearing a lot about the black crim so should try them next year

Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/2/2012, 7:20 am

I have 'Better Boy', 'Lemon Boy', 'Yellow Plum', and 'Husky Red Cherry' tomatoes. I have to admit to not being a huge raw tomato fan which is part of the reason two of mine are cherry types. I love those for salads.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/2/2012, 9:06 am

Brandywine, Black Krim, Green Zebra, and non heirloom Yellow Pear (which seems to be the most lively so far)

Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/2/2012, 9:10 am

herblover wrote:I have 'Better Boy', 'Lemon Boy', 'Yellow Plum', and 'Husky Red Cherry' tomatoes. I have to admit to not being a huge raw tomato fan which is part of the reason two of mine are cherry types. I love those for salads.

Lemon Boy has always been a great producer for me. Love the color it makes for sauce or paste!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/3/2012, 7:24 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
herblover wrote:I have 'Better Boy', 'Lemon Boy', 'Yellow Plum', and 'Husky Red Cherry' tomatoes. I have to admit to not being a huge raw tomato fan which is part of the reason two of mine are cherry types. I love those for salads.

Lemon Boy has always been a great producer for me. Love the color it makes for sauce or paste!

GG

Glad to hear it! This is the first time I have grown it. I do have flowers on all my toms.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/3/2012, 8:13 pm

I'm growing Brandywine and my all time fave, Sweet 100's. But I just saw a YouTube vid where the guy mentioned Sweet Millions...said they were bred to not crack, as sweet 100's can do with too much water. I've never seen them. He got his at Ace Hardware.

Has anyone tried Sweet Millions yet?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/3/2012, 8:31 pm

I grow a mixture of hybrids and OPs (heirloom or not) but nothing like the variety some people do. I am still getting used to the idea of being able to grow anything but extra early hardy determinates.

SO far my favorite tomato is Big Beef, a hybrid indeterminate, mid season. It has wonderful flavor, produces well for me and what is not eaten fresh is sliced and baked and then frozen. TomatoFest has an OP of this and I want to try that next to the hybrid and see if they are the same.

I am searching for an heirloom OP that I like as well.

The cherry tomato Gardeners delight is a delight, so was Matt's Wild though it tryed to take over. This year I could not find the former and so am growing Sweet Million, a hybrid, that I had good luck with in the past.

I found Paul Robeson, a heirloom, mealy and not very tasty, but that was a cold summer. Suddoths Brandywine, a heirloom, was tasty but not as good as the Big Beef growing next to it. Silver Fir, a heirloom, is pretty but lacks flavor.

Juan Flamme is a heirloom, grows well and makes lots of golf ball size tasty fruits. It did not freeze well, was really sour when put into soups later. I wonder if that was my fault, late fruit is not as sweet and I did not bake these first. I plan to grow these again some day.

Peach tomatos are OP, were only useful for stretching tomatillos in making salsa verde. they are productive, just bland tasting.

Burpees Beefsteak, hybrid, poor yield and taste.

Early Girl, hybrid, good yield and poor taste.

Red Pear, heirloom, wonderful flavor and early and the excess baked and froze up a treat.

This year I am growing Big Beef, Cherokee Purple (heirloom, one caged and one trellised), Sweet Million, Super SanMarzano (it was a hybrid but they have stabalized it), Roma which i think technically is a heirloom determinate.

Amazing how important tomatoes are to us all.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/3/2012, 9:46 pm

herblover wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:

GG

Glad to hear it! This is the first time I have grown it. I do have flowers on all my toms.

Even tho' my original Lemon Boy was a hybrid, the volunteers I had from it the next year were the same size, color, and I could not detect any flavor change. I am sure that they cross-pollinated with something else, as that volunteer did before giving me the next season's volunteers, but they just keep on giving! It is so hard for me to justify killing a healthy-looking tomato plant that I grow some of my volunteers every year as extras. I love (good) garden surprises!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/3/2012, 10:44 pm

I don't really care if it's heirloom or hybrid, I also don't save seeds. I just like to try new things. I love yellow tomatoes and am growing lemon boy, golden gem, Ildi (like yellow pear), and jubilee. I am also growing sweet 100, red delicious, tiny tim, better boy, and some container tomatoes.

Any tomato that comes out of your garden is going to be way better than one from the store!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 6/3/2012, 11:41 pm

I'm so impressed how you all follow your tomatoes - like wine tasters! Me, I usually forget my variety (even though I write it down); I just want lots of big red tomatoes or lots small red tomatoes. Cavewoman style of growing tomatoes...
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/4/2012, 12:28 am

this year we are trying heirlooms for the first time........

we have about 20 plants all in pots so far....all started by seeds Very Happy

heirlooms by burpee

Brandywine

super italian paste....the smallest plants but first to have fruit

rainbow

marglobe

yellow pear

jubilee.... the only one we are having a hard time with....we have a couple of them

hybrid

sweetie....from ed humes

bradley....from ferry morse

from a volunteer from last years saved seeds

cherry type orange/yellow

we are trying differnt types to see how they taste, how well they produce in our PNW and try and save seeds Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/4/2012, 7:03 am

squaredeal wrote: Cavewoman style of growing tomatoes...

Nothin' wrong with that! Since I am not a raw tomato eater, I don't go in for the taste/texture thing much, I just want prolific producers that make a tasty, not too acidy sauce. Also, if they have few seeds it is a plus for sauce-making! Colors make for a cool looking sauce or salsa as well. I love using purple, yellow, orange, and red tomatoes all in one salsa. So cool looking!

GG

Last edited by Goosegirl on 6/4/2012, 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling - it is 6am.....)
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/4/2012, 9:21 am

If you want something meaty, few seeds, try:

Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 Sausag12

Sausage is 3" or more meaty paste-type tomato.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 6/4/2012, 12:13 pm

These are so different, I thought I would show a picture. This is a new variety, "Indigo Rose". It was developed at Oregon State University. Looks like they are going to be the first to ripen.
Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 Indigo10
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/4/2012, 12:17 pm

Squat_Johnson wrote:These are so different, I thought I would show a picture. This is a new variety, "Indigo Rose". It was developed at Oregon State University. Looks like they are going to be the first to ripen.

Wow. that looks like those edible nightshades! I wonder how sweet they will be. interesting indeed!

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/4/2012, 1:52 pm

Turan wrote:
Squat_Johnson wrote:These are so different, I thought I would show a picture. This is a new variety, "Indigo Rose". It was developed at Oregon State University. Looks like they are going to be the first to ripen.

Wow. that looks like those edible nightshades! I wonder how sweet they will be. interesting indeed!

Well, tomatoes ARE an edible nightshade crop, so it stands to reason they would look similar! Love the dark color - May just need to try some of these just to have black sauce (other than when I burn it cyclops )

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/4/2012, 5:11 pm

wowzers!!!.....those are so cool looking!!....keep us posted on how they taste.....so very neat.....would love to grow those next year!!

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/4/2012, 5:49 pm

I wonder what color the insides will be????
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/4/2012, 7:33 pm

OOOOOOOooo-la-la, Are they OP? wanna trade some seeds> Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Heirloom tomatoes vs. other varieties - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next