Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Support for bush beans?  Potatoes? Toplef10Potatoes - Support for bush beans?  Potatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Support for bush beans?  Potatoes? I22gcj10Potatoes - Support for bush beans?  Potatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Support for bush beans?  Potatoes? Toplef10Potatoes - Support for bush beans?  Potatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Support for bush beans?  Potatoes? I22gcj10Potatoes - Support for bush beans?  Potatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Support for bush beans? Potatoes?

+8
Lavender Debs
TN_GARDENER
gwennifer
littlejo
FamilyGardening
GWN
camprn
kgooding
12 posters

Go down

Potatoes - Support for bush beans?  Potatoes? Empty Support for bush beans? Potatoes?

Post  kgooding 5/20/2012, 8:19 pm

Funny story, I planted a ton of bush beans, and they are looking awesome, except they are rather tall and after I watered them they are having some problems standing up! I checked the seed packet again and sure enough, they are supposed to be bush beans. I guess I was under the impression that I wouldn't have to do anything to help them stand up straight but has anyone else had this problem? What did you use to stake them? I have 4 1 ft squares currently, with 9 plants per square, and I just can't see staking 32 plants!

My second problem of the night is my potatoes. They are flopping over. I'm assuming part of the problem is that while they get drenched in sun until about 1 pm after that they are in the shade. Anyway, I do have a little fence attached around their 4x4 box (I basically planted a whole box as extra deep and with potatoes.) So I have them just kind of laying on the top edge of their fence for now. I'm wondering if maybe I should run some string across the top of the fence and put in a little more effort to keep them standing up?

Thanks in advance from a newbie!
kgooding
kgooding

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Support for bush beans?  Potatoes? Empty Re: Support for bush beans? Potatoes?

Post  camprn 5/20/2012, 8:46 pm

With my bush beans I placed a stake at either end of the box/ row of 4 squares and then I ran twine around the whole lot, winding the twine on the stakes at either end. It mostly contained them. When I harvested the beans it was a matter of just shifting the plants to one side or the other to get the beans growing in the middle. Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Potatoes - Support for bush beans?  Potatoes? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Support for bush beans?  Potatoes? Empty Re: Support for bush beans? Potatoes?

Post  GWN 5/20/2012, 9:10 pm

I have done something similar to camprn.
I marked out a square about 1 foot up, and ran string across, from the poles at the corners and then around the outside.
I think that the potatoes sound dry.
You sound like you are off to a GREAT start.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/20/2012, 9:22 pm

how long have the potatoes been in?....have you seen any flowers yet?

if its been about 90 days or close to it....then it sounds like they are dying off.....its what they do.......if it hasnt been that long then they sound dry.....

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 5/20/2012, 9:29 pm

It's hard as a newbie to find out 'bush' does not mean bush but is just a short vine.

It sort of depends on how your squares are arranged. I had 4 squares in a row. I did not stake them. Start picking at 1 end, pick all the beans and lean over, then pick each plant and lean on the previous plant, continuing down the line. Next picking, start on the top end, each time changing ends.

I found bush beans to be very difficult to manage, I will plant pole beans if possible

My potatoes are top heavy too. I don't stake them, just shove out the way, or they can be supported so they can stay in the box. They will put on taters whether they are staked or not too.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/21/2012, 2:37 am

My potatoes are kinda floppy too. Well, just the Yukon Golds. (They aren't too old, and they aren't too dry). I say "kinda" cause I never can quite decide. I think I've mostly decided they just wilt a bit when it's too hot, but I'm not sure why when I check the soil and they seem to have plenty of water. *shrug* They're still growing like crazy. Don't they just get floppy because they are so vine-like?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 5/21/2012, 7:23 am

One way to support the bush beans is to use a tomato cage

The plants that don't grow through the middle of the cage can still be supported by the cage with some twine.
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/21/2012, 8:56 am

You must be doing something right, your garden sounds pretty.

My solution for bush beans: I buy sections of wire fence and sink them into the inner edges of the squares. My beans are planted on the outside squares of my boxes. The fence keeps the beans (or peas) from invading the space of vegetables growing in other squares.

I know I have pictures somewhere, I can find them if you ask but I just woke up and hope to not search.

The fence sections are made of wire that is about the same gage as old wire coat hangers. Usually they are about a foot tall (after they are sunk into the soil) and two feet long. They can be linked together to make a longer fence but I don't use mine that way. When I was still using wooden grids they would slip right over the grids and into the mix. They do a nice job, can be inexpensive and are easy to store.

You are on your own for potatoes, I always plant mine in their own area. Even determinate potatoes can get tall. My only solution is to "hill them up" with grass clippings or bedding straw. Look around the board. I have seen some clever ways of dealing with potatoes in your square.

Debs.....wishing you a grand harvest
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  kgooding 5/23/2012, 8:25 pm

Well, the string and the bean sounded familiar and I guess I should have just opened my copy of the book, the solution was right there in the appendix! I just took each of the squares and tied a string around the plants and it appears to be working well! As for the potatoes, they were planted mid March, and I haven't seen any flowering yet. I don't think that they are dry, but it's possible that I'm maybe not watering deeply enough given that they are in a deeper box? Not really sure there, but I upped the water and they still are floppy. I did try digging around them a little bit to see if there were any potatoes of some sort growing, and there's nothing, the stalks go down really far but no potatoes, hopefully it's just too soon! Hey, at least I got peas my first season, I'm calling it a success!
kgooding
kgooding

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 5/23/2012, 8:30 pm

I did bush beans last year and they stayed nice and compact...no vining or sprawling...they prodeuced well. This year I can already tell they are going to need some support.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/11/2012, 9:09 pm

landarch wrote:I did bush beans last year and they stayed nice and compact...no vining or sprawling...they prodeuced well. This year I can already tell they are going to need some support.

Did you plant a different type or the same type? Would you mind sharing the name? Trying to determine what to expect with my Spacemaster and Bush Champion types. Thanks.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 7/11/2012, 10:25 pm

I think I did Contender last year...and this year I did Contender and Blue Lake. This year's plants are already twice as big as last year however I don't think I'll mess with supports. I think it may be best to keep bush beans on the edges where they can spill over the edge, not need support, and not crowd out other plants.

We have just been through triple digit temps for the last 10 days (108 high) and my beans are going downhill...some leaves are fried, other plants lost about 50% fullness, blossoms dropped, beans stopped forming, etc...even with regular watering. I'll probabaly get one more round of picking in before they shut down for the summer. Last year I had a good flush of fall beans without replanting so I'll probably try to keep them alive.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 7/11/2012, 11:40 pm

I planted Blue Bush. They are very floppy! First planting is almost done. I do succession in a dedicated bed. So I will replant in those squares for another round. I just blanch and put in the freezer till I have enough to can.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 7/12/2012, 10:00 am

Lavender Debs wrote:You must be doing something right, your garden sounds pretty.

My solution for bush beans: I buy sections of wire fence and sink them into the inner edges of the squares. My beans are planted on the outside squares of my boxes. The fence keeps the beans (or peas) from invading the space of vegetables growing in other squares.

I know I have pictures somewhere, I can find them if you ask but I just woke up and hope to not search.

The fence sections are made of wire that is about the same gage as old wire coat hangers. Usually they are about a foot tall (after they are sunk into the soil) and two feet long. They can be linked together to make a longer fence but I don't use mine that way. When I was still using wooden grids they would slip right over the grids and into the mix. They do a nice job, can be inexpensive and are easy to store.

You are on your own for potatoes, I always plant mine in their own area. Even determinate potatoes can get tall. My only solution is to "hill them up" with grass clippings or bedding straw. Look around the board. I have seen some clever ways of dealing with potatoes in your square.

Debs.....wishing you a grand harvest

I have these little baby fence sections, too. I got mine from the Target dollar spot this spring. Wish I'd gotten more of them. They really help in general to keep the garden off the grass.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down