Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
how to keep the aphids from spreading out Toplef10how to keep the aphids from spreading out 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

how to keep the aphids from spreading out I22gcj10how to keep the aphids from spreading out 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
how to keep the aphids from spreading out Toplef10how to keep the aphids from spreading out 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

how to keep the aphids from spreading out I22gcj10how to keep the aphids from spreading out 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

how to keep the aphids from spreading out

+4
FamilyGardening
camprn
givvmistamps
jazzymaddy
8 posters

Go down

how to keep the aphids from spreading out Empty how to keep the aphids from spreading out

Post  jazzymaddy 4/30/2012, 4:31 pm

So I just lost my battle today. Had to pull up the peas. The aphids got them so bad - I harvested a total of 7 pods. :`(

Now the ground beneath where the plants we is absolutely covered with the nasties, and I am wondering what I can do to make sure they don't move on to all the rest of my plants. What plants do they prefer that I can pay special attention to?

Thanks. Sad day.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

how to keep the aphids from spreading out Empty Re: how to keep the aphids from spreading out

Post  givvmistamps 4/30/2012, 5:22 pm

What a bummer! Folks here have many different ways of dealing with aphids...

Do you have a lot of ants around your garden? Apparently certain ants will "farm" aphids to get food from them, so getting rid of ants is important if you have that type of ants around. I'm working on killing off my ant population using a sprinkling of Borax around the anthills, then moistening it with a spray bottle of water so they'll take it back and share it with their nest-mates. There are other methods, but that's what I've chosen and I've noticed fewer ants since starting the treatment.

Dealing with aphids themselves, you have several options. Planting a "trap" crop of something they prefer over your veggie plants is one. Someone here suggested planting sunflowers near the veggie garden, which is my next project...and we're going to compare our sunflower growth to others here as well.

Another option is to plant something from the Allium family in your garden near plants that attract aphids. Chives, onions and garlic are all good for this.

Getting some ladybugs to release next to the aphids is a good way to use beneficial insects...just make sure there's a good place for them to make their new home near your garden or they'll leave after dealing with your current batch of aphids.

If your problem is still immediate and severe after taking out those pea plants, ladybugs aren't an option for you, and you don't mind killing off the beneficial insects while you're at it, you may want to get an organic insecticide that you can spray on them. Neem oil is one such spray you can do. Most big box home improvement stores have that and other organic sprays you could try.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

how to keep the aphids from spreading out Empty Re: how to keep the aphids from spreading out

Post  jazzymaddy 4/30/2012, 6:55 pm

Thanks for that thorough reply. I do have onions planted in my other box. Didn't worry about this box too much because it's my tulle-covered box... the one without my trellis. But the ants dug up from underneath... I killed my ant-festation earlier in the season, but the aphids had already been brought in.

I did get a bunch of ladybugs, and have released 200 of my 300, but they just weren't able to get ahead of the problem. So I went out there this evening and sprayed with some organic stuff from a nursery. I truly hope this takes care of them. By the time the heat of the day had passed, the aphids had indeed made their way to every other plant in that box.

So for now, the box remains uncovered as I want to have easy and immediate access. That opens me up to other buggies, but also invites other friendlies. Once things start looking less crawly, I'll release the rest of the ladies, and cover up again to keep them in. Sound like a good plan?

Thanks friends!
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/30/2012, 7:07 pm

A blast of water and or insecticidal soap.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

how to keep the aphids from spreading out WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 4/30/2012, 8:45 pm

camprn wrote:A blast of water and or insecticidal soap.

Before I really went on the war path, I was trying to spray them off with the hose. Is that supposed to kill them? I wasn't sure if I was being effective, but maybe there were just that many...

Thanks
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/30/2012, 9:26 pm

Here is a little more info. http://www.gardenstuffs.com/5-how-to-get-rid-of-aphids/

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

how to keep the aphids from spreading out WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/30/2012, 11:43 pm

You must've had one serious problem! Sounds like you didn't really need my help after all, just a quicker response to the ants to keep them from tunneling into your garden.

I forgot about the insecticidal soap...with aphids there are too many options to remember them all. Wink
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/1/2012, 12:30 am

sorry to hear about the loss of your peas.....Sad

i had no idea they would go after them Shocked

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 5/1/2012, 8:03 am

Thanks for the kind thoughts Rose. It was a bit of a hard loss (never thought I'd experience that), but I'm very happy to report that there are very aphids left today. I will release the rest of the ladybugs, and recover the box with tulle, and call it a day.

So, that leads me to: what happens when they eat all the rest of the aphids? I don't want to starve them by having them trapped in the tulle...
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  subsonic 5/1/2012, 9:56 am

Aphids hate garlic, choose not to go near it.
plant garlic around other crops and it is a good control.
lady bugs work great as mentioned but they can be hard to keep around.
Soap water spray, vinegar spray, garlic spray all work but are just temporary.
insecticides kill Bees and Killing Bees is a crime against pollination.
I use garlic planted all around and soap spray myself
subsonic
subsonic

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 5/25/2012, 2:49 pm

Came across this method for ridding aphids;
Solution to rid Aphids
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/25/2012, 11:22 pm

SwampCatNana wrote:Came across this method for ridding aphids;
Solution to rid Aphids

Her recipe with the mineral oil works on white flys as well.
I used it in SanDeigo the summer of the great white fly infestation. Saved my garden and pomegrant bushes.
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  subsonic 5/26/2012, 2:07 am

plant garlic all over
aphids hate the stuff
each square needs a garlic plant
subsonic
subsonic

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 5/30/2012, 12:06 am

@givvmistamps - Thanks. I'm going to try the borax sprinkling. I've been noticing green bugs in the lettuce lately, and we do have ants in the SFG.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down