Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 6 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 6 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 6 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 6 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

+62
SwampTroll
countrynaturals
has55
ctrysg
BeetlesPerSqFt
CitizenKate
newbeone
Scorpio Rising
boffer
trolleydriver
littlejo
Razed Bed
Cajun Cappy
Yardslave
Windmere
Kelejan
JustMe
martha
brainchasm
AtlantaMarie
Rambo
johnp
Marc Iverson
Icemaiden
bnoles
wcfujita
southern gardener
greatgranny
J_in_HamiltonON
iiiigardener
mschaef
Goosegirl
sanderson
yolos
donnainzone5
NightMist
mollyhespra
meatburner
jimmy cee
JackieB999
llama momma
cjdunmore
CapeCoddess
cpl100
FamilyGardening
Dunkinjean
westie
RoOsTeR
tomperrin
kbb964
quiltbea
elysia
subsonic
Turan
walshevak
Nonna.PapaVino
GWN
CindiLou
Grandpop
plantoid
camprn
cheyannarach
66 posters

Page 6 of 32 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19 ... 32  Next

Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 6 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  CapeCoddess 9/14/2012, 4:22 pm

Perfect! Thanks, cpl. Halloween is about first frost for me.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 6 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  subsonic 9/15/2012, 5:30 am

I harvested 3 weeks ago and am about to replant real soon, I try to have garlic in the ground by the end of September
this years crop is already processed, did that today
subsonic
subsonic

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 9/15/2012, 3:40 pm

I only planted for my 1st time last fall Late Italian.
This year I want to plant Late Italian again and also Chinese Pink.
I love garlic but not the hot ones.
I plan on planting some with my roses as a trial.
Of course I still have to order them.......being a procrastinator...which is odd for me... Very Happy
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/15/2012, 4:50 pm

I just planted 53 cloves of German Red. It is suppose to be rich flavored, spicy so less goes a long way, and great for roasting. Also look forward to dehydrating and making it into a powder. For two people this is going to be an awesome amount if everything grows well, Whew!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/15/2012, 7:40 pm

I have been growing German Red for several years now. It is goooood stuff and does well here in the north. It is the first garlic that I could plant in the fall and survive the winters here (coincidentally it is the first hard neck I have grown Laughing )

This year I am also trying some Glazer Purple that a friend grows near here. It is stronger and seems to hold its flavor better when baked. Her cloves are huge, i hope I can grow them that big too.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/15/2012, 9:33 pm

Speaking of large bulbs, I could not believe the size of the 5 bulbs that were delivered! So much bigger than the supermarket kind, maybe 3 inches in diameter. I've read that it takes about 2 years to get large bulbs cause the bulbs need to acclimate to the local soil conditions. Wonder if that's true? So now I dream of next summer's roasted garlic and garlic butter...here is a site with 3 ways to use garlic with good explanations and Great Pictures-
http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2010/02/01/roasted-garlic-three-ways/
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/15/2012, 10:42 pm

As a long-time garlic grower, Llama Mama, I can claim knowledge that the first year's planting of a variety of garlic is small compared to subsequent years in the same area (not the same plot!). So, yes, I believe it's true, as the garlic gets used to your soil/area, it does better in following years. But, as they say: YMMV. Happy garlic growing/eating/repelling vampires. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/15/2012, 11:05 pm

Thanks Nonna, appreciate your experience. I charted the placement of cloves in my garden notebook so I can replant in different squares next year. sfg smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/15/2012, 11:25 pm

On garlic growing in different soils, even in different parts of the country: a couple of years ago, a family member, visiting my son in Washington State, was given a head or two of garlic I had grown in Oregon. The guest took it back to Texas and planted the cloves. I heard this fall that, after two years of planting that strain of garlic, he had enough to use and share lavishly with friends. Too bad I don't remember the garlic I'd given my son, 'cause it does well in College Station area of Texas as well as Western Oregon!
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/15/2012, 11:36 pm

Talk about success and such extreme climate adaptation - wonder what it was grown in too - maybe souped up compost and/or fertilizer.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/15/2012, 11:43 pm

Wish I knew. Our compost-heavy soil is slowly being amended with vermiculite and peat or coir to more classic Mel's Mix (several square beds are pure MM). Two years ago, the garlic was grown in beds created under the old Square Foot Gardening book, which included native soil (red clay with heavy yearly doses of cow compost from the barn, composted leaves and old hay, and an over-wintering straw cover. Have to agree, the new MM sure eliminates most of the weeding chores, I'm here to tell you. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  subsonic 9/16/2012, 12:50 pm

garlic is one of my secret weapons against a lot of garden pest. I plant it all around the place because a lot of bugs will not go near it.
Never have had an aphid since I figured it out.
subsonic
subsonic

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/24/2013, 7:01 pm

Just to bring back this thread. I am thrilled that my garlic is up ALREADY.
It is SOOO much earlier than last year, I guess the softness of the MM seems to have had something to do with it.
YAH.. cheers
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 2/24/2013, 8:12 pm

I am also happy to report that my two beds of 2x6 of garlic seem to be thriving through the winter.
I am growing Chinese Pink which should be ready in June.
The other bed is Late Italian which will be ready in July.
Of course I can't wait!! sunny
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieB999 2/24/2013, 9:11 pm

subsonic wrote:garlic is one of my secret weapons against a lot of garden pest. I plant it all around the place because a lot of bugs will not go near it. Never have had an aphid since I figured it out.

Good to hear... I need to plant some more. I have 6 cloves in a container of MM and it's doing very well. I read before planting it that garlic likes dry soil, so it might be hard to plant it permanently near other crops that need a lot of water. I've been watering my garlic about every 8-10 days and it's growing steadily. All 6 cloves came up cheers
JackieB999
JackieB999

Female Posts : 125

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/24/2013, 9:50 pm

I am growing Chinese Pink which should be ready in June.
I also have a few Chinese pink, given to me by Nonna.
I did not know that they were early.

WOW that is even better, I guess why they are already up.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/24/2013, 10:52 pm

I won't get my garlic until this fall Rolling Eyes in the meantime I have some garlic from the store sprouting on my windowsill in the kitchen that I think I am going to experiment with.... Just for fun.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/3/2013, 11:46 am

Turan wrote:I used to plant garlic in the spring and it did fine. I am not sure I get bigger cloves or not planting in the fall, but it is nice to have something done ahead of time. Go ahead and plant them, and see how it goes.
I plant them on grid lines about every 6 inches. Then in the spring I plant leaf lettuce and spinach and radishes in the squares with them. They also interplant with beets and beans well.

I was considering doing this also, but planting one clove at every grid intersection. Glad to know it works. And it will be a natural pest control.

Every time there's a big clove with a little green on it in my kitchen garlic bowl, I pop it into the garden. I can't help it, it's like some kind of weird programming. boogie woogie At this point I have garlic planted from Halloween on thru the winter up (when the MM wasn't frozen solid) to yesterday.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 3/3/2013, 11:53 am

CapeCoddess wrote: I pop it into the garden. I can't help it, it's like some kind of weird programming. boogie woogie

CC

CC, I think the whole gardening way of life is a weird program! rofl Where else do people talk about poo and food in the same conversation! I like your boogie woogie
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/3/2013, 12:03 pm

CindiLou wrote:
CC, I think the whole gardening way of life is a weird program! rofl Where else do people talk about poo and food in the same conversation!

Laughing Agreed!

Also, when I couldn't get out to the garden due storms, I stuck some cloves in with my houseplants. Don't know what's going to happen there. Talk about mad scientist... Twisted Evil

CC

CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/3/2013, 12:40 pm

turan that is interesting to know that you can plant them now.
I did not think you could.
I am going to do what CC is doing, and I have a lot that are sprouting, this being this time of year
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/3/2013, 1:29 pm

GWN wrote:turan that is interesting to know that you can plant them now.
I did not think you could.
I am going to do what CC is doing, and I have a lot that are sprouting, this being this time of year

At that time I did not know the difference between hard neck and soft neck garlic. So I was planting soft neck in the fall and it promptly froze to mush so I replanted in the spring as early as I could get the cloves into the ground. I got plenty of garlic and planted it that way for years. Then I learned of hard neck and switched. So maybe it was the type of soft neck. But anyrate, the garlic greens are good too and immature garlic bulbs are tasty too. So it is all win no matter what.

I like the idea of stuffing bulbs that show a need to be planted in various flower pots in the house here. The purple Glazier garlic is showing signs of needing to be planted or chopped and frozen. The red Bavarian is still fine.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/3/2013, 3:23 pm

I recently recieved nine cloves of garlic from a good friend in a poly bag and promptly bunged them in the fridge @ 3 oC for 14 days to stratify them .

This morning I went to plant them and found each clove had 1/5 " long roots, that will give them a heads start to becoming some large bulbs later in the year if it's not too rainy .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/3/2013, 3:26 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
CindiLou wrote:
CC, I think the whole gardening way of life is a weird program! rofl Where else do people talk about poo and food in the same conversation!

Laughing Agreed!

Also, when I couldn't get out to the garden due storms, I stuck some cloves in with my houseplants. Don't know what's going to happen there. Talk about mad scientist... Twisted Evil

CC

CC
If my experience of last year is anything to go by they tend to bolt when set in the beds from out of pots , so at least you'll have plenty of scrapes as well .

I managed to keep some of the bolters minus the scrapes back for some of this years crop .. planted them on the first of March when the soil had thawed enough to do it.

plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 3/3/2013, 5:39 pm

It is now March and my garlic that I planted in the fall has overwintered but will not be ready to harvest until May and June. It is wonderful to see something growing green in my boxes after the winter! I am still using garlic from the year before....Very Happy
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 32 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19 ... 32  Next