Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? Toplef10How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? I22gcj10How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? Toplef10How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? I22gcj10How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How deep a box do I need for tomatoes?

+6
donnainzone5
manitoak123
scoobe
boffer
pattipan
reicho
10 posters

Go down

How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? Empty How deep a box do I need for tomatoes?

Post  reicho Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:03 pm

I am planning to grow some indeterminate tomatoes this year (Cosmonaut, Matt's Wild Cherry amd Black Krim). I want to know how deep I should make my box. This is the first time I will be trying this method and will be starting from scratch. Should I make an extra deep planter or will a regular planter of 1 foot be sufficient? Thanks.
reicho

Back to top Go down

How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? Empty Re: How deep a box do I need for tomatoes?

Post  pattipan Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:37 pm

You only need 6" of soil to grow tomatoes. That's the beauty of Square Foot Gardening! I planted 12 indeterminate tomato plants last year -- one per square -- on the north side squares of two different boxes (a 2' x 8' x 6" foot box and a 4' x 4' x 6" box). I used the conduit trellises and had a bumper crop of tomatoes! The vines were to the top of the trellises and going over. When I pulled them up last fall most of the root system was within its respective 12" square with a few feeder roots going out to an adjacent square. I canned tomatoes quartered, made salsa, soup, juice and pizza sauce...and that's not counting the ones we ate fresh!

If you use the standard 2" x 6" boards, the soil is actually less than 6", but it's all you need! Do you have Mel's newest book? Be sure to read through it so you'll understand the basics of SFG'ing. It will soon become your gardening bible. :o)

Patti

Last edited by pattipan on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? Empty Re: How deep a box do I need for tomatoes?

Post  boffer Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:02 pm

I can second Patti's experience. The more you water, and the more nutrient rich the soil is (I used only mels mix and no additional fertilizers or supplements), the smaller the root structure will be.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  scoobe Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:21 pm

This is my first ever garden be it SFG or otherwise. I used 2x8 boards because of the "sinking" factor. I know I over think everything. It has settled to 6". I have already harvested 2 heads of cabbage, and I have nearly 5 dozen tomatoes in various states of development. Although I am a bit perplexed with mt brussel sprouts. They seem to be growing well but no fruit yet. They have been growing since November. Maybe I did something wrong. Be that as it may I will endevor to persevere just because it is so much fun to start with nothing but a seed at bring it all the way to fruition.
scoobe
scoobe

Male Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? Empty Thanks for the help.

Post  reicho Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:40 pm

I appreciate the feedback. I can't wait to get started. Now I just have to read the book!
reicho

Back to top Go down

How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? Empty I haven't had the same experience!

Post  manitoak123 Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:18 pm

This is my third year SFG'ing and after the past two years of my tomato plants toppling over during summer storms I doubled up my box in hopes they will have a deeper root system. The first year I used traditional staking and tying and last year I used tomato cages, both failed to hold up the plants when they were heavy with fruit. My dad has had similar issues and doubled his box last year and didn't have a problem with his plants toppling over.
manitoak123
manitoak123

Female Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? Empty How Deep a Box Do I Need for Tomatoes?

Post  donnainzone5 Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:45 pm

My neighborhood is fairly windy, although we do not experience gale-force winds.

I use two different types of tomato supports, the tomato tower Mel recommends, and coated metal supports I purchase from Gardener's Supply Company. Not one tomato plant has blown over. Six inches should be plenty, if you use sufficiently stable supports.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  JonRigby2005 Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:03 am

Anyone ever use the "Florida Weave" method of growing a row of tomatoes. I am a huge fan of this method in my row garden, and will definately incorporate into my sfg. It would be easiest and most practical if you were planting a full row of tomatoes (I always plant lots of maters.). Prune all suckers, and weave in and out of horizontal strings everys 6" as high as you want to go.

Jon
JonRigby2005

Male Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:14 am

JonRigby2005 wrote:Anyone ever use the "Florida Weave" method of growing a row of tomatoes. I am a huge fan of this method in my row garden, and will definately incorporate into my sfg. It would be easiest and most practical if you were planting a full row of tomatoes (I always plant lots of maters.). Prune all suckers, and weave in and out of horizontal strings everys 6" as high as you want to go.

Jon
got any pics? How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? Icon_biggrin
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:14 am

I'd love to see a picture of the weave. When it comes to growing tomatoes in the PNW, expertise is hard to come by due to uncooperative weather.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 pm

No pics, but here's what seems to be a fair description of Florida Weave for tomatoes on Wiki-How...

Ohhh.. there are pictures HERE on FineGardening.com
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? Empty Florida weave trellis system

Post  pattipan Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:20 pm

Image linked from finegardening.com:
How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? 041086050-04_lg

Here's a really nice video that shows the weave in action at Johnny Selected Seeds -- neat tool they use to weave the string! There are also some EXCELLENT pruning tips for tomatoes too!

http://www.growingwisdom.com/index.aspx?pid=9&sid=1&cid=341

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Oh, OK, I admit to mis-reading Jon's post. I thought he was weaving the vines amongst themselves.

I think I have tomato envy for folks in climates where they can count on good weather to grow tomatoes every year!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  JonRigby2005 Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:15 pm

I only use one string every 6", only steak every 6ft, then weave the plant from one side to the other. Tomorrow, I will get a picture of my Tomatoes and my "Florida Weave". I usually train up to about 5', then try to train the plants back down to the ground, then back up. LOL, you gotta love FL.
JonRigby2005

Male Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

How deep a box do I need for tomatoes? Empty Re: How deep a box for tomatoes

Post  ander217 Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:23 pm

Has anyone grown determinate varieties of bush tomatoes such as Rutgers, in a SFG? They are not supposed to be staked, but can be caged.

I have one Rutgers plant under my grow light and I'm not sure the best way to grow it in my SFG box. My other tomatoes are indeterminate and will be planted against a trellis. I don't think I could get one of those cone-shaped cages to sink deep enough in a SFG box, so I'm stumped as to how to grow it without staking it. Would the roots go deep enough to anchor it without any support?

My mom used to grow nothing but Rutgers, and she just let them sort of fall over and ramble in her garden where they would keep producing until frost. I like to grow at least one Rutger's every year just 'cause they were Mom's favorites.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down