Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX Toplef10Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX I22gcj10Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX Toplef10Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX I22gcj10Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX

4 posters

Go down

Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX Empty Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX

Post  castleocr 2/6/2012, 11:07 am

Howdy Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX 61949

After raising a semi-successful jalapeno plant in a pot last year we decided to take a beginner gardening class in Dallas where we got turned onto the idea of Square Foot Gardening. Went home, bought the book the very next day and are in the middle of reading right now.

Almost ready to finish our boxes (got luck enough to inherit some nice unused ones from family) and figure out the task of what to plant and of course when to plant it!

Very excited to stumble upon this forum that seems filled with a few other locals from our area who have been successful.We have practically ZERO experience but are eager to learn.
castleocr
castleocr

Back to top Go down

Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX Empty Re: Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX

Post  ashort 2/6/2012, 11:10 am

Hey there!!! Fellow Friscoan here.... welcome to the group. It has turned a bit cooler the last couple of days, but those warm days last week really got me fired up to get some dirt under my fingernails. What part of Frisco do you live in?
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX Empty Re: Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX

Post  castleocr 2/6/2012, 11:14 am

Yes this warm winter has us also antsy to get in the dirt! We live on the northwest side off DNT and Main.
castleocr
castleocr

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 2/6/2012, 11:23 am

Awesome, I in the SW area - Lebanon and Legacy... have you planted anything yet? I have a hoop set up and harvested some salad greens and radishes yesterday - they are waiting in my lunch box for me today...
ashort
ashort

Back to top Go down

Post  castleocr 2/6/2012, 11:33 am

Not yet, We just bought the book about a week ago.. so this is all pretty new to us.

We placed our boxes in the yard this weekend (3 4x4s) after studying the sun/shade for a while. Hoping to plan and plant soon. Any good recommendations on where to buy our "mel's mix" in the area? Also how do you keep the friendly bunnies away? We have quite a large number in our neighborhood.
castleocr
castleocr

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 2/6/2012, 12:31 pm

Partners on Main has vermiculite - I bought 3 bags on Saturday for my new beds - with tax it is about $33 for the 4 cu ft. I believe they have bales of compressed peat moss as well. As for compost - I generally get composted cotton burrs when I can find them, I pick up several at Lowe's Black Kow composted cow manure, mushroom compost, and a third one. I am stretching on the last and usually end up with the free stuff that the city gives away on first Saturdays. I'm not 100% sold on it since it comes from the lawn garden debris pick ups that happen on trash day. I am going to have to check out the nursery over off Coit for more choices.

Saw the bonnie transplants for cole crops and onions over at Home Depot last night... I have to get my last box finished quickly!

As far as rabbits - I try to exclude them from my whole back yard by putting up some poultry netting or hardware cloth over their entry spots. When I redo my fence this year, I am going to put up a foot or two of stone at the bottom which should solve the problem permanently with the rabbits...
ashort
ashort

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/6/2012, 1:39 pm

Newbie Husband and Wife Team in Frisco, TX 654548 castleocr

Glad to have you join us. Being directed to SFG from a gardening class is marvelous. I love the fact that once the beds and MM are completed, the rest is easy to plant and maintain.

So you can start out right, read the following thread, it will help you make your MM the best it can be. MELS MIX

Keep us posted on your progress and again, Welcome.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 2/6/2012, 2:34 pm

Welcome to the forum !! Come in a set a spell :-D pictures we adore!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down