Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ANSFG strikes again!! Toplef10ANSFG strikes again!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ANSFG strikes again!! I22gcj10ANSFG strikes again!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ANSFG strikes again!! Toplef10ANSFG strikes again!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ANSFG strikes again!! I22gcj10ANSFG strikes again!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

ANSFG strikes again!!

+5
CindiLou
Furbalsmom
martha
Chopper
EatYourVeggies
9 posters

Go down

ANSFG strikes again!! Empty ANSFG strikes again!!

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/22/2012, 6:47 pm

Earlier yesterday (21JAN2012), I was one of approximately fifty students who began a four week, Growing Groceries Mentor training class through the Washington State University Clark County Extension, here in Vancouver.

Having previously visited a few of the farms run by WSU in the community and observing their layouts, I already knew that we would be covering traditional row gardening.

That said, imagine how excited I was, when we were given our course materials and among them was The newest edition of The All New Square Foot Gardening Book. Very Happy
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

Back to top Go down

ANSFG strikes again!! Empty Re: ANSFG strikes again!!

Post  Chopper 1/22/2012, 6:48 pm

Very cool.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 1/22/2012, 6:53 pm

The course sounds great - the book? Priceless!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/22/2012, 7:28 pm

WOW, how exciting.

Sounds like Growing Groceries Mentor is a great way to get information out to your community on gardening in general and still present various views on gardening. Is this part of the Master Gardeners Program?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/22/2012, 7:44 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:WOW, how exciting.

Sounds like Growing Groceries Mentor is a great way to get information out to your community on gardening in general and still present various views on gardening. Is this part of the Master Gardeners Program?

Because yesterday was the first day, I'm not certain but it was great. I also want to become a Master Gardener and Master Composter. And of course, a Certified SFG Instructor. Very Happy
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/23/2012, 1:12 am

I will have to look into this and see if our extension does something like it..

As far as I can tell they just have mentoring programs for beginning FARMERS.

I will get hold of someone and find out. Sounds very interesting!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/23/2012, 1:22 am

CindiLou wrote:I will have to look into this and see if our extension does something like it..

As far as I can tell they just have mentoring programs for beginning FARMERS.

I will get hold of someone and find out. Sounds very interesting!

Our extension here, seems to be gearing the Mentor program, at least the present one called Growing Groceries toward us getting out into the community and helping families become responsible for growing their own food. There was a lot of talk at the initial class about educating churches, lower income neighborhoods, single parents and really, anyone interested, more than actual large scale or traditional farms.
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/23/2012, 3:37 am

EatYourVeggies wrote:
Earlier yesterday (21JAN2012), I was one of approximately fifty students who began a four week, Growing Groceries Mentor training class through the Washington State University Clark County Extension, here in Vancouver.
imagine how excited I was, when we were given our course materials and among them was The newest edition of The All New Square Foot Gardening Book. Very Happy
Do they have educational prerequisites for this class? - and how much does the course cost? - and where else is it offered, can you find out? Please Smile
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/23/2012, 10:38 pm

LittleGardener wrote:
EatYourVeggies wrote:
imagine how excited I was, when we were given our course materials and among them was The newest edition of The All New Square Foot Gardening Book. Very Happy

Do they have educational prerequisites for this class? - and how much does the course cost? - and where else is it offered, can you find out? Please Smile

This one is $25 and the only prerequisite was the ability to eat fruit, muffins and drink coffee or juice. They provided the snacks for the first class and there was a sign up sheet for who was going to bring snacks next time.

This class was originally slated for Heritage farms in Vancouver, but was moved to Brush Prairie due to a green house not having been completed. This was the third time for the event and each time has consisted of approximately 50 students so there's definitely an interest. We don't meet up again until Feb 4th, so I will find out where else they're held for you.

Before I do and if they're okay with it, is there any chance you'd want to join this class? I can’t imagine it would matter, but sometimes the hours spent or logged warming a chair seem to be important to the schools (its all about the numbers). Just a thought. I'll wait a couple of days to see if you reply and then find out what I can for you.

The resources alone (a loose leaf notebook packed with resources and the entire curriculum, a CD containing more resources, a copy of the ANSFG book and some other stuff) is worth the cover charge alone, in my humble opinion. Smile Dave
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 1/24/2012, 1:46 am

I have a quesion about what this means: "Washington State University Clark County Extension". I see quite often on this forum the recommendation to call your local extension agency for advice on what grows best in your area, or how to deal with certain pests, and the like. So I finally googled "Clark County Extension" and got a website, and best I could tell by following links I was just supposed to call the Master Gardeners. So is it that the Master Gardener program is an extension of the University? Is that how it is in every state? I just don't get it. Embarassed

BTW, how did you find out about this class you're doing?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 1/24/2012, 2:04 am

According to this website:

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

"The Cooperative Extension System is a nationwide, non-credit educational network. Each U.S. state and territory has a state office at its land-grant university and a network of local or regional offices. These offices are staffed by one or more experts who provide useful, practical, and research-based information to agricultural producers, small business owners, youth, consumers, and others in rural areas and communities of all sizes." Smile

The website also has a clickable state map extension office directory.
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 1/24/2012, 2:37 am

Hey thanks UnderTheBlackWalnut. That is indeed the website I came to in my search. And that does answer my question. Looks like at least in my county, the Master Gardener volunteers are used as a component of the gardening part of the extension. I wonder if that's always the case?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 1/24/2012, 4:38 pm

Right - at least that is the case where I am with U of I (Illinois). Smile

I'm not that versed in it, but my understanding here in this area is that Master Gardeners are trained THROUGH U of I Extension and then need to do 60 hours of internship before they are certified (hence some of the volunteering opportunities). I did find a bulletin that touches on this program in our area at: http://web.extension.illinois.edu/cfiv/homeowners/111111.html So I think, at least here, the Master Gardener program is actually run by U of I Extension, thus the use of Master Gardener volunteers. Smile

I'm gonna bet Josh and his family know way more about this in Illinois than I do... Smile

UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/24/2012, 5:27 pm

I love my County Cooperative Extension office. I have gone in there with samples of lesions on plants to ID (Blight, etc), they also will ID insects, trees and are valuable to area farmers. The 4-H Youth Program is operated out of out extension office. They do coordinate the Master Gardener
education. They are a fabulous resource. They offer families education in household finance, gardening, canning and cooking too. I love my County Cooperative Extension office. I love you

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

ANSFG strikes again!! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/24/2012, 6:30 pm

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

"The Cooperative Extension System is a nationwide, non-credit educational network. Each U.S. state and territory has a state office at its land-grant university and a network of local or regional offices. These offices are staffed by one or more experts who provide useful, practical, and research-based information to agricultural producers, small business owners, youth, consumers, and others in rural areas and communities of all sizes." Smile

The website also has a clickable state map extension office directory.
Thank you for this valuable! resource. - some friends in another county are Master-gardners, and when we lived there, we were very active in 4-H as Homeschoolers Very Happy this may all be tied in together.
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/24/2012, 6:45 pm

EatYourVeggies wrote:
LittleGardener wrote:

This one is $25 and they provided the snacks for the first class and there was a sign up sheet for who was going to bring snacks next time.

I will find out where else they're held for you. - any chance you'd want to join this class?

The resources alone (a loose leaf notebook packed with resources and the entire curriculum, a CD containing more resources, a copy of the ANSFG book and some other stuff) is worth the cover charge alone, in my humble opinion. Smile Dave
Agreed Dave, the nominal fee of $25 is very reasonable.
And I will check our County's Extension office for such a class Smile here closer.
The car needs, no less ($800 pale Timing-belt, & water-pump) maintenance done on it I was just told, & we have to borrow that. For such & other reasons, such is outa the question.
Thank you.
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down