Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW Toplef10Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW I22gcj10Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW Toplef10Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW I22gcj10Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

4 posters

Go down

Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW Empty Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Post  ashort 1/16/2012, 5:52 pm

For anyone in the DFW area, I have some leftover leek and onion sets (1015's, white, and red). If you want them, just let me know. For reference - I am in Frisco, not far from 121 and Tollway...
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW Empty Re: Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Post  Goosegirl 1/17/2012, 7:58 am

ashort wrote:For anyone in the DFW area, I have some leftover leek and onion sets (1015's, white, and red). If you want them, just let me know. For reference - I am in Frisco, not far from 121 and Tollway...

RATS! It would take me a plane ride or a looooong drive to be in the area! Onions are the one thing I didn't get ordered. In your area they are probably Short Day anyway. I'll keep telling myself that to ease the pain of missing out!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW Empty Re: Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW

Post  ashort 1/17/2012, 9:55 am

Goosegirl wrote:
ashort wrote:For anyone in the DFW area, I have some leftover leek and onion sets (1015's, white, and red). If you want them, just let me know. For reference - I am in Frisco, not far from 121 and Tollway...

RATS! It would take me a plane ride or a looooong drive to be in the area! Onions are the one thing I didn't get ordered. In your area they are probably Short Day anyway. I'll keep telling myself that to ease the pain of missing out!

GG

Yes, they are short day varieties... you may still be able to order from dixondale farms They have short, intermediate, and long day varieties and ship when it is planting time for your zip code...
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/17/2012, 10:43 am

ashort wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:

GG

Yes, they are short day varieties... you may still be able to order from dixondale farms They have short, intermediate, and long day varieties and ship when it is planting time for your zip code...

Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW 889526 Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW 889526 Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW 889526 Time is not the issue - I have already over-spent what Hubby considers the $$$ for 'minimal upkeep' I promised the SFG's would only require after the initial $ outset last year! Those dang seed catalogs are just so purdy and hypnotizing! Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW 889526 Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW 889526 Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW 889526

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/17/2012, 11:11 am

GG and anyone else interested in growing onions and if you have never grown onions from seed before and you really, really, really want to grow some, I have a suggestion, go get a packet of seeds at the discount department store, like Big Lots or Job lots, even wally world already has some discount seed. I think the seed is '30% off' the label price. Sow in a container, like the ones mushrooms come in. Sow in the next week or so. They take a long while to get going, but you should have transplants at the time you will need them. For those of us in the northern climes, they may need transplanting into larger container later, before finally transplant into the garden.

Onion seedlings
Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW Onion_seedlings_closeup

When I sow onions like this I usually use one packet in one of these containers. They will grow thickly and when they get large enough, you just need to separate the seedlings, usually at transplanting time. The other alternative, for folks who have never grown onions before, is that later in the spring you can usually get onion sets. Sets are small seed onions that were grown the year before so there is a huge head start. Last year these were around $2.65/lb.

Onion Sets
Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW Onion-sets

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/17/2012, 3:48 pm

camprn wrote:GG and anyone else interested in growing onions and if you have never grown onions from seed before and you really, really, really want to grow some, I have a suggestion, go get a packet of seeds at the discount department store, like Big Lots or Job lots, even wally world already has some discount seed. I think the seed is '30% off' the label price. Sow in a container, like the ones mushrooms come in. Sow in the next week or so. They take a long while to get going, but you should have transplants at the time you will need them. For those of us in the northern climes, they may need transplanting into larger container later, before finally transplant into the garden.

Onion seedlings

When I sow onions like this I usually use one packet in one of these containers. They will grow thickly and when they get large enough, you just need to separate the seedlings, usually at transplanting time. The other alternative, for folks who have never grown onions before, is that later in the spring you can usually get onion sets. Sets are small seed onions that were grown the year before so there is a huge head start. Last year these were around $2.65/lb.

Onion Sets

Thanks for the incentive! I have wanted to try growing onions from seed but have been a little afraid. Last summer I saved 10+ of those plastic containers from berries, so I am set with the growing space. Now if I can find a few seed packets locally on clearance I should be able to sneak them in under the radar!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 1/17/2012, 6:54 pm

here in Houston but still cant make the drive lol
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 335

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/19/2012, 8:31 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
camprn wrote:GG and anyone else interested in growing onions and if you have never grown onions from seed before and you really, really, really want to grow some, I have a suggestion, go get a packet of seeds at the discount department store, like Big Lots or Job lots, even wally world already has some discount seed. I think the seed is '30% off' the label price. Sow in a container, like the ones mushrooms come in. Sow in the next week or so. They take a long while to get going, but you should have transplants at the time you will need them. For those of us in the northern climes, they may need transplanting into larger container later, before finally transplant into the garden.

Onion seedlings

Onion Sets

Thanks for the incentive! I have wanted to try growing onions from seed but have been a little afraid. Last summer I saved 10+ of those plastic containers from berries, so I am set with the growing space. Now if I can find a few seed packets locally on clearance I should be able to sneak them in under the radar!

Well, I did it! Today I scattered 2 packs of onion seeds (Rossa di Milano and Walla Walla) in a 20x32 tray. They took up 2/3 of the tray, and then for the last 1/3 I did rosemary, oregano, and 2 types of basil. If it works I will have my onion plants for the garden and a bunch of herbs ready for both the garden and my indoor Garden Stick herb garden.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/19/2012, 8:36 pm

YOU GO GG! cheers

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Free extra Leek and Onion sets in DFW WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down