Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
confused about planting times Toplef10confused about planting times 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

confused about planting times I22gcj10confused about planting times 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
confused about planting times Toplef10confused about planting times 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

confused about planting times I22gcj10confused about planting times 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

confused about planting times

+5
gridgardener
Kabaju42
Lavender Debs
nancy
lisaphoto
9 posters

Go down

confused about planting times Empty confused about planting times

Post  lisaphoto 3/31/2010, 9:12 am

I have been seeing a lot of people around my zone talk about planting their carrots already, but Mel's book says 3 weeks before last frost (mine is end of April), and the seed packet said not until no danger of frost. I have found varying dates on just about everything. Is there an easy way to figure everything out?
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

confused about planting times Empty Re: confused about planting times

Post  nancy 3/31/2010, 9:48 am

Lisa - I get my planting info from Emily at http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net/

She sends an email every week telling me what I can do this week. I also use the spring planner from Little House in the Suburbs: http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2010/03/free-spring-planner.html. It's all trial-and-error for me. I'll keep you posted. My spinach isn't coming up yet, but the peas and onions look fine. I just added broccoli, leaf lettuce, and a few carrots yesterday.

n.
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/31/2010, 10:49 am

Lisa when I was doing zone research it seemed that there was no state more divided into more zones then your state of Ohio. It was just crazy how many times different zones said "and (some part) of Ohio"

Gardening is like the game of Othello (do people still play that? maybe I should say chess) It seems easy to figure out but developing skill and experience is helpful. You only get those by getting your hands dirty. Your state has multiple micro-climates. Keeping records, learning to listen to the seasonal clues and the prophecy of the weatherman are helpful skills.

Carrots are one of those crops that can often survive an early jump on the gardening season, but not always. Gardeners can usually afford to gamble a few seeds and replant if frost kills the seedlings (we can also take action to cover our small gardens.) Farmers cannot afford to risk an entire field of their cash crop. Nor can they do to an entire field of (carrots or ?) what the SFG can to protect from frost. Most seed packet information comes from the experience of farmers who need solid information to bring a cash crop to market.

We gardeners like to risk a little to get a jump on the season, that is why we are posting that our carrots (or lettuce or beets or chard or whatever cool season crop) is in and growing. One hard freeze can force us to start over. But IF (big if) the season starts early, we can brag about our early start. Then again we could just have chilly weather that our seedling have a hard time recovering from and still have late veggies (does that make sense?)

Deborah ....who just likes to get out and get dirty
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 3/31/2010, 10:42 pm

lisaphoto wrote:I have been seeing a lot of people around my zone talk about planting their carrots already, but Mel's book says 3 weeks before last frost (mine is end of April), and the seed packet said not until no danger of frost. I have found varying dates on just about everything. Is there an easy way to figure everything out?

Lisaphoto: I hear your pain. I'm also hearing conflicting data about when to plant what. It seems that most seed packets I've seen will just generically say to plant in May in my area. Even if they're cold weather plants, that's what the packets say. I've just started looking on the internet, and trying to find a few sites that agree on planting times. I've also found others on the fourm have lots of experience and can help.

As for myself, I'm going to try planing my carrots 3 weeks before the average last frost day. Hopefully they come up. confused about planting times Icon_biggrin
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  gridgardener 4/1/2010, 1:19 am

lisaphoto your frost date is April 29
gridgardener

Back to top Go down

Post  tamara 4/1/2010, 2:03 am

The problem is spring is just unpredictable. You never know when you'll wake up to snow on the ground (like here this morning). Or when it will turn too hot for the cool weather plants. It's always a gamble. I like to play it safe on the early side. If your plants freeze you can always replant. If you wait too long it will be too hot before the plant is ready to harvest and that could ruin your crop and you can't replant for a few months.

My husband just shakes his head when we would plant tomatoes twice a year. The first ones having froze because I am too early. I am getting better at timing but I still know that I may loose a few plants every spring.
tamara
tamara

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 4/2/2010, 10:45 pm

[quote="Lavender Debs"]Lisa when I was doing zone research it seemed that there was no state more divided into more zones then your state of Ohio. It was just crazy how many times different zones said "and (some part) of Ohio"

I would certainly agree with that! Crazy weather is part and parcel of living in OH. Last Friday I had 3 inches of snow and today it was 85 degrees! I did print out the planting guide from www.littlehouseinthesuburbs.com. That is one of the most user friendly I have seen.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

confused about planting times Empty Of Course....

Post  Selandra 4/2/2010, 11:02 pm

You could do what I did and turn your bedroom into a nice greenhouse. Cabin fever hit early and those shiny little seeds called to me from thier little paper packets.... "plant us, you must plant us".... so mid feb I planted onions and leeks.... after all the package said that they can be put outside weeks before last frost. I will admit that is only 4 weeks to last frost and my onions are still in the bedroom looking kind of sad really. Not my fault... but thats another story. Then went the flowers... those nasturims are about to take over the bed posts... then strawberries and huckleberries.. did you know strawberries can take up to three years to bear fruit? Yeah, I didn't either confused about planting times Icon_redface . So I'll be buying some.. much to the annoyance of my dear patient loving hardworking husband (just in case he happens to read this). I also have broccoli and cauliflower plants... which look exactly the same... falling over the sides. My pepper plants are looking good but considering they only have two leaves I figure I'm safe for another two weeks. My tomatoes are debating coming up and have halted all process after poking thier noses through the soil... so the jungle I call my bedroom will soon be outdoors. When suddenly a freakish frost will hit and I will have to replant everything again confused about planting times Icon_pale ... isn't gardening fun!!!
Selandra
Selandra

Female Posts : 123

http://www.asfggardenerstale.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 4/2/2010, 11:13 pm

Selandra where do you sleep? in a hammok lol you gotta post a picture of your jungle room cause if its anything like my imagination is leading e to believe i feel soo sorry for your DH
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down