Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone try U or L shaped layout? Toplef10Anyone try U or L shaped layout? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone try U or L shaped layout? I22gcj10Anyone try U or L shaped layout? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone try U or L shaped layout? Toplef10Anyone try U or L shaped layout? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone try U or L shaped layout? I22gcj10Anyone try U or L shaped layout? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone try U or L shaped layout?

+7
Odd Duck
Patty from Yorktown
scoobe
Retired Member 1
bonnie0128
timwardell
Shoda
11 posters

Go down

Anyone try U or L shaped layout? Empty Anyone try U or L shaped layout?

Post  Shoda 3/30/2010, 2:12 pm

I was playing with the layout of my new SFG, trying to decide where the beds should go before I build the boxes. I was trying to use the most space for beds and at the same time make it interesting.

Has anyone used an L or U shaped layout with 4x4 beds? I am looking at do this as a shape.

Anyone try U or L shaped layout? Garden10

The corners might be an issue as far as my being able to reach into the bed and maintain it. I suppose I could limitwhat I needed to do in those corners, depending on what I planted there. For example, I could move my strawberries to the corners since they don't require too much from me once they are established. Or I guess I could cut off the outside points of the corners... hmmm..

Any feedback before I build?

-- Lisa
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone try U or L shaped layout? Empty Re: Anyone try U or L shaped layout?

Post  timwardell 3/30/2010, 2:28 pm

I've seen some pretty elaborate layouts in the Gallery, so there's no reason it wouldn't work. I have 2 long SFG's and they make an L pattern, but nothing as intricate as what you've designed. I agree that the corner boxes might be an issue, but like you say strawberries might be an option as would something that takes up a lot of space like a bushing zucchini.
Good luck. Please post some pics when it's built!
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 3/30/2010, 2:37 pm

Looks great - esp since you have already considered the "hard to reach" parts. The only thing to keep in mind is the amount of veggies you want to grow that are vining. I grow a ton of things that need trellised and wish I had done my layout so it was more condusive to that. But I make it work and I'm sure you will too.

And I've got to say - I'm completely jealous of your layout! So much room!!! I only have 2 4x4 boxes which greatly limits my growing abilities!
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Female Posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 3/30/2010, 3:49 pm

I like the idea of the zucchini in the corners too, although I am considering trying a verticle variety to see if that will work.

I will have to move our strawberries evenually. Right now I have a 4x8 patch of strawberries that I will evenutally move into the SFG (since they are off to the right side right now and would be in the way of the right most path). Don't want to move yet as they are just starting to form berries!

I was thinking of making each 4x4 box separate so I could use the corners to bend PVC for covers or the like. As for trellises, that is a good point.

There is a raised garden plan on the Sunset website that uses sections of PVC pipe attached to the inside of the raised bed to connect covers, garden supports, etc... Here is the link.

http://www.sunset.com/garden/backyard-projects/ultimate-raised-bed-how-to-00400000011938/page6.html

I thought if I used those, I would be able to put verticals wherever I want. Course, I would have to offset the location of them by my planting grid. I suspect there are PVC pipes that would work with the conduit of the trellis (instead of the rebar pounded into the ground?) Only downside I have thought is that I would want to cap the open end so that stuff didn't fall in.

-- Lisa
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 3/30/2010, 3:51 pm

The main problem I see is that no matter what you grow in those corner boxes, it will need harvesting. Can you reach 3'? I can't. One option, if you have the room is to bump up the top center two boxes by 2 squares (so they overlap the side boxes by half). That would solve the reaching issues. And if you wanted, give you 2 or 4 more squares to add to the 2 by center bed. (I hope that made sense.)
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  scoobe 3/30/2010, 6:20 pm

When considering PVC, consider this; make sure to get UV and sunlight resistant. Even at that there is mo guarantee the it wont warp and become misshaped. If you get a conduit big enough to take those factors out it will most likely be to big to be used. Consider using schedule 80 gray PVC. This is electrical grade and is a bit tougher than white irrigation or plumbing pipe. Trade size 3/4" should do it. Although bending it maybe problematic. You might use factory 90 degree elbows for that. Well that is probably more info than you neede or wanted, but that is my 2 cents.
scoobe
scoobe

Male Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 3/30/2010, 6:27 pm

Hi,
I vote for tomatoes or flowers in the hard to reach areas. It is easy to pick tomatoes and the flowers can just look pretty with little maintenance.

Patty in Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 3/31/2010, 1:24 pm

Thanks for all your help. Based on the feedback, I think I am going to do another layout. My kids, of course, have strong opinions!

Will let you know what we finally decide on.

-- Lisa
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 3/31/2010, 1:45 pm

My neighbor has more or less squared off "W" shaped beds, but the crosswise beds connecting the arms are narrower (only about 2" wide because they're along the fence) and she has not had any trouble reaching into the "corners". You might think about adjusting your bed width if you still like the shape.

Another thing to think about, you will have to walk all the way around the whole length of the "arms" to access each side close to the "crosspiece" as opposed to a few steps to get to the other side. That may not matter for you depending on how you plant your squares.

Sharon
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 3/31/2010, 11:41 pm

Possably a kneeling board attached cattykorner in the korners might help the reaching part but it will be a little of a blancing act
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Post  gridgardener 4/1/2010, 1:22 am

i grew in 4 legged m once
gridgardener

Back to top Go down

Post  kingdaddy 4/1/2010, 6:45 pm

i am trying some L shaped beds this year. i hope they do well. I wanted to use the space i have next to the house that gets the best sunlight and so i came up with this "maze" design. i will be sure to update how it goes.

Anyone try U or L shaped layout? Garden
</A>
kingdaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/1/2010, 8:06 pm

Hi Kingdaddy

Welcome to the forum glad you\'re here and thanks for the picture. That's a fun looking maize layout you have there. Have you decided what stuff you'll be planting and where?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 4/1/2010, 8:10 pm

Kingdaddy thats gonna look awesome when its all grown in maybe you could stand on the roof and get an arial shot then good job
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Post  kingdaddy 4/1/2010, 8:17 pm

thanks! first let me explain the layout. this is the southern side of my house - full daylight. it was a part of the yard that was getting no use and i had outgrown the container garden i was growing on my deck. this picture is facing due east. if it were morning when i took the picture you would see the sunrise. the sun travels directly overhead of the garden and sets behind where i was standing to take that picture. i will plant tomatoes in the back 2 L's. i have 20 heirloom varieties that my students started in my class room and will be going in the beds this week. the taller varieties will be in the very back bed, the smaller varieties in the next bed. The middle "T" bed is home to a 3 sisters garden with 2 varieties of corn, squash, zucchini, and ky wonder pole beans. the bed close bed on the left will be home to peppers, jalapeno and bell, aspargus and strawberries on the close end. and the close bed on the right will be for cukes growing up the fence, carrots, 2 types of bush beans, and 2 okra plants. it was 80 degrees here today - its seems that spring may finally be here!
kingdaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 4/1/2010, 8:38 pm

Kingdaddy,

Looks very cool! How wide are the beds and how big did you make the paths?

Can't wait to see them full and growing.

-- Lisa
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 4/1/2010, 9:05 pm

Wow Kingdaddy! No running through your SFG!
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  kingdaddy 4/1/2010, 9:15 pm

the L beds are 3 feet wide and the outer boards are 8 feet long and there are 4 of these beds. the T bed is actually 2 3x5 beds arranged to make a T shape. the walkways are about 2 feet to 2.5 feet wide.

actually the most popular game at my house for my kids was - garden maze races, for a while. this was before i had filled them and before i had planted in them. now the kids dont go in with out me.

i cant wait for them to be growing! i can get a picture from the top of the playstructure in the back yard that give a slightly better view.
kingdaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down