Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... Toplef10Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... I22gcj10Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... Toplef10Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... I22gcj10Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost....

+4
sfg4uKim
BackyardBirdGardner
boffer
Luci Dawson
8 posters

Go down

Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... Empty Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost....

Post  Luci Dawson 9/20/2011, 2:50 pm

I'm new to SFG and am still learning the right ways to do things. It occurred to me that instead of using a single compost when replanting a square, I could use a trowel full of Mel's Mix. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do that? :?:
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... Empty Re: Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost....

Post  boffer 9/20/2011, 3:01 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. When we replentish a square, we use the five compost blend that goes into the MM. It's not just one compost.

Adding MM in lieu of the five compost blend, only adds 1/3 of the nutritional value that the compost does.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... Empty Thanks, Boffer! :heart

Post  Luci Dawson 9/20/2011, 3:12 pm

boffer wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum. When we replentish a square, we use the five compost blend that goes into the MM. It's not just one compost.

Adding MM in lieu of the five compost blend, only adds 1/3 of the nutritional value that the compost does.
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Back to top Go down

Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... Empty Re: Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost....

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/20/2011, 5:47 pm

To go into a bit more detail...

Yes, adding a trowel of MM will only add a third of compost because it's made with a third:third:third ratio of compost, peat moss, and vermiculite. This, you already know.

What you may not have known is that peat moss and vermiculite are essentially inorganic properties. They don't break down or decompose over time. So, the volume of peat moss, or vermiculite, in your garden never changes. By adding more of the inorganic stuff, via more Mel's Mix, you are only taking away space meant to be replaced by compost. Slowly, but surely, your ratios get out of whack. You will be heavy on the peat moss and vermiculite, and light on compost......with no way to adjust for more compost because the peat moss and vermiculite never go away.

Hope that sheds a little more light on the subject. And welcome to the forums. We love questions, and are happy to help! Hope to see more of you around.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... Empty Re:[2] Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost...

Post  Luci Dawson 9/21/2011, 3:40 pm

That makes perfect sense to me, Boffer. Thanks for the additional explanation!

Now if I can only find 5 different kinds of compost by next Spring, I'll be all set...have found 3 so far, but I'm nothing if not determined Wink
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 9/21/2011, 4:17 pm

Luci, is it possible to make your own compost? That is always the best and would make a great compliment to what you've already purchased.

Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/22/2011, 12:36 am

Also, Mel says in the book that the single most important part of the mix was the compost b/c that is where the nutrients are. The peat and vermiculite are for there water holding properties and once established that should hold for years to come. The compost is the money maker.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... Empty Re:[3] Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost....

Post  Luci Dawson 9/22/2011, 12:37 pm

ksroman wrote:Luci, is it possible to make your own compost? That is always the best and would make a great compliment to what you've already purchased.

Kim

I have thought about it, Kim. The problems are that I'm a single person household that doesn't produce enough "waste" to compost properly, and I live in the high desert of NM where the few neighbors who have lawns all use inorganic fertilizers and pesticides that I wouldn't want to get anywhere near my compost pile (or bucket, as the case may be).
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/22/2011, 3:37 pm

The peat and the vermiculate by themselves would not sustain any plant life. That is why you need the compost.

Perhaps I might try an experiment myself. Mix some P and V, and plant some seeds. I reckon the seeds would germinate then fall over through lack of food.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 9/22/2011, 4:04 pm

Luci Dawson wrote:That makes perfect sense to me, Boffer. Thanks for the additional explanation!

Now if I can only find 5 different kinds of compost by next Spring, I'll be all set...have found 3 so far, but I'm nothing if not determined Wink

Check your local Craigslist. I just looked at the Albuquerque area and see free goat and horse manure/compost listed in the last few days. If it is composted you can use it as is. If not composted it would be a great start for a compost pile. If you have a local coffee house or restaurant, that would be good places to ask for coffee grounds and waste veggies for a compost pile.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 9/23/2011, 1:09 am

Luci Dawson wrote:
ksroman wrote:Luci, is it possible to make your own compost? That is always the best and would make a great compliment to what you've already purchased.

Kim

I have thought about it, Kim. The problems are that I'm a single person household that doesn't produce enough "waste" to compost properly, and I live in the high desert of NM where the few neighbors who have lawns all use inorganic fertilizers and pesticides that I wouldn't want to get anywhere near my compost pile (or bucket, as the case may be).
I have other issues that prevent me from having a compost "pile/heap" so I have looked into alternatives that you may be interested in one is making a compost tumbler, you can buy them but much, much cheaper to make. A second way is with red wiggler worms call vermiculture. There is a ton of info on both if you check youtube.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 9/23/2011, 8:36 pm

I've got a worm composter that I absolutely LOVE!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... Empty Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost...continued

Post  Luci Dawson 9/24/2011, 6:45 pm

Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... 109486 Lindacol for the tip about Craig's List! I'm sue I'll find what I need to get started.

And Can I use Mel's Mix instead of compost.... 109486 , also to Shanon1 and ksroman. May consider it at some point, but not sure yet.
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down