Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hurricane Season Activity.. Toplef10Hurricane Season Activity.. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hurricane Season Activity.. I22gcj10Hurricane Season Activity.. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hurricane Season Activity.. Toplef10Hurricane Season Activity.. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hurricane Season Activity.. I22gcj10Hurricane Season Activity.. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hurricane Season Activity..

2 posters

Go down

Hurricane Season Activity.. Empty Hurricane Season Activity..

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/6/2011, 2:43 pm

Now that we are confident in what Katia and Lee will become (Lee a flooding rainmaker...again. And, Katia having very little affect on land in the US.), we can focus on what's next...

Both Maria and Nate are likely coming soon. NWS and NHC are both watching a system in the Gulf, again. It's actually Lee's tail getting left behind down there. It should spin up into another depression or small TStorm.

The other area is well out in the Atlantic, back where Katia developed. This one may make it all the way west into the Caribbean. If so, conditions will be favorable in 6-10 days for more development.

And, on day 13, we are already seeing yet another Cape Verde system come off the coast of Africa with promise.

Yes, the tropics are alive and well this year. Luckily, not a lot of the activity, Irene aside, has made direct hits on land.

Stay tuned.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Season Activity.. Empty Re: Hurricane Season Activity..

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/7/2011, 5:00 pm

Things still hold for Katia missing and the television stations are really trumpteting that charge now, too...lol. If they only watched this thread a week ago, they could have "broken" the news earlier. ...haha the TV schmoes.

We are now watching two areas I mentioned for the letters M and N. We have Maria named today out in the Atlantic. It looks, initially as though she will follow Katia more than Irene and miss the US. However, Maria will make it further south and possibly affect the Leewards and maybe Puerto Rico in a few days. She won't be that strong, but she maintains watching. By the time she emerges closer to the US, she will be hit by an upper level trough that will take the remnants of Lee out of here and consequently use the jet stream to sweep Maria out to sea, too.

The other area that may grab a name is an area in the southern Gulf of Mexico. It doesn't look like much can happen with this storm in terms of strengthening. That air over Texas is just too darned stubborn and dry. And, as of now, it's cold, too. That does nothing for developing storms. Best case, and it will be a very minor chance, is for Lee's remnants to stick around a smidge longer so the nose of the dry air in Texas can build over Louisiana. If this happens, southern parts of Texas just might see some rain from that storm. But, it's a real long shot at this point.

Next watcher is a storm that may develop from the 15th to 25th of September. It will develop south of Cuba in the southern/western Caribbean. This one bears serious watching. It may be the next large storm to have a real chance at affecting the US. I could go into details as to why, but this little update is long enough.

You'll have to stay tuned, and don't say you weren't warned with plenty of notice.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 9/8/2011, 4:56 am

Were you a weather man in your previous life? Hurricane Season Activity.. 88662
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/8/2011, 9:13 am

Nah....it's my passion, though. And, it's what I studied in college. Why? Too obvious?

I chose, however, to have a family and raise kids with parents actually being home. The only thing I knew of meteorolgy majors, when in school, was the guys on TV. I don't like doing things half-assed, so my schedule (aside from several uprootings of family) would be to work at 3pm and home at midnight M-F.....not conducive to kids, homework, after school activities, a happy wife, etc. I didn't know of storm chasers (for a living) and all the NWS jobs or private firms that hire contract weather dudes. I only knew of tv and teaching back then.

So, I essentially chose family over career and changed majors to a boring business degree I could take anywhere. Once I realized I didn't need a degree to start my own business, I just gave up and flunked out. (I started majoring in parties) That all said, I was too immature for college, too, and the military....or a cruise ship....would have been better for me. Funny how hindsight is 20/20. I actually made the right initial decision, but didn't control the backslide.

I come from a broken home (still not near as bad as others), and nothing in my control will ever break mine. Pretty much every decision I make revolves around that single principle.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/9/2011, 5:31 pm

Today's update has only one change with it...

Nate won't affect the US Gulf Coast. We were wrong in what we saw. Instead, Nate takes our "choice B" track and heads due west into Mexico. Can't win 'em all......LA/FL coasts thank us for missing on this one.

Maria bears a little watching. She may tease us with a close call. But, she should still curve sharply once clearing the Bahamas and head out to sea. She may look like she is bearing down on SC, but she should curve. Stranger things have happened, but we have high confidence in this track and missing the CONUS.

Also, still on track to have a very favorable environment in the Caribbean in about a week. Lots of things are starting to hint at it, too. Watch in a few days how the Weather Channel or your local news will start talking about a potential storm down there. If it bears out, the storm will have virtually nowhere to go but north and affect he SE USA. The storm will have a ridge of high pressure to both it's east and west, leaving it only one way to escape....north.

Keep your eyes on the tropics if you live in areas that can be affected. We are a long way from over.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/15/2011, 10:33 am

Newest trends are showing we will have to wait until the 20th - 30th of September if we are going to see anything happen in the Caribbean.

A lot of things going on that lead us to watch for storms, but no real influence coming in from the east. So, the pattern is there and primed, we are just waiting for a spark. Sometimes we don't get one, but if we do.....the 20th through 30th looks ripe for a "Wilma" or "Floyd" type situation to develop that would eventually hit Florida.

But, I wouldn't say it's even "likely" yet.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down