Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How to do bush tomatoes SFG style Toplef10How to do bush tomatoes SFG style 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How to do bush tomatoes SFG style I22gcj10How to do bush tomatoes SFG style 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How to do bush tomatoes SFG style Toplef10How to do bush tomatoes SFG style 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How to do bush tomatoes SFG style I22gcj10How to do bush tomatoes SFG style 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How to do bush tomatoes SFG style

+5
middlemamma
Patty from Yorktown
Lavender Debs
Furbalsmom
tkdtara84
9 posters

Go down

How to do bush tomatoes SFG style Empty How to do bush tomatoes SFG style

Post  tkdtara84 3/29/2011, 5:57 pm

Maybe I'm just not getting it straight, but from what I understand from the book, if you plant det. tomatoes, they need 3 sq. feet per plant. Is that right?

I have two 4x8 boxes and one 4x4 for strawberries. I honestly hate to take up so much space for just one tomato plant. If I plant two tomatoes plus three peppers (red and green bells plus jalapenos), which is what I'd like to do, then I barely have room for anything else. When I read that, I intended to do everything else in my boxes and just set out a couple of tomato plants into existing soil.

I would grow a vine variety (and still may), but I really want romas to make and can some spaghetti sauce, and those are not trellisable. Maybe I'm underestimating what a SFG can produce (I grew up in the country with a huge yard and a row garden, and we moved into town), but I would like to have enough green beans to can and enough regular produce to eat during the summer.

What do you all do with bush tomatoes?
tkdtara84
tkdtara84

Female Posts : 68

Back to top Go down

How to do bush tomatoes SFG style Empty Re: How to do bush tomatoes SFG style

Post  Furbalsmom 3/29/2011, 7:03 pm

I hate to break it to you, but bush (determinate) tomatoes actually take 9 sq ft (3 ft x 3 ft)

There are good paste type tomatoes that are indeterminates. An example is the Gilbertie that Camprn grows. She had vines that were 10 feet tall.

I grow determinate tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets of Mel's Mix, one per bucket. Then I use cages. I can't justify that much room in my SFG for one tomato plant.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/29/2011, 7:16 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:snip.....I grow determinate tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets of Mel's Mix, one per bucket. Then I use cages. I can't justify that much room in my SFG for one tomato plant.
+1
How to do bush tomatoes SFG style July_211
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 3/29/2011, 7:17 pm

Hi,
An other way to deal with unruly tomatoes is to stick them in a corner. That way the foliage can lap over the edges of your box onto the path. When I do that, I allow each plant a 2 foot square space. An other trick is to plant quick maturing plants near the edges of your tomato location. You will harvest the smaller plants before your tomatoes take over the world. Hope that helps with some of your big plant problems. Nothing beats a sun warmed tomato and cheese sandwich.

Patty in Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 3/29/2011, 7:25 pm

Patty from Yorktown wrote:Nothing beats a sun warmed tomato and cheese sandwich.
OMG I can't wait! How to do bush tomatoes SFG style 807243 Except no cheese for me...just salt, pepper, tomato, bread and Miracle Whip. How to do bush tomatoes SFG style 491
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  tkdtara84 3/29/2011, 7:58 pm

Thanks. I actually meant 9 sq ft...I was thinking 3x3 and said the wrong thing. I like the 5 gallon bucket idea. We have a lot of those from doing drywall recently. They would even be portable until they had to be caged. I just can't stomach the idea of losing all that space in my box for one tomato plant.
tkdtara84
tkdtara84

Female Posts : 68

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 3/29/2011, 8:05 pm

This will probably make no sense, but determinates take up a lot more space for me than indeterminates.

I can prune/train the indet's but can't prune the others, so they end up taking more space.

I've got a Sebring tomato going right now (got to love "helpful" folks who know you grow tomatoes & just want to "help out", by bringing you "a tomato plant" Mad ) that is giving me fits. I can put three trimmed indet's in the same footprint this is taking up ...... and it''s triggering my OCD button about once/day.

Thank god I transplanted to a bowl .... dang thing would ruin my whole SFG-mojo
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/29/2011, 9:50 pm

acara wrote:This will probably make no sense, but determinates take up a lot more space for me than indeterminates.

I can prune/train the indet's but can't prune the others, so they end up taking more space.

I've got a Sebring tomato going right now (got to love "helpful" folks who know you grow tomatoes & just want to "help out", by bringing you "a tomato plant" Mad ) that is giving me fits. I can put three trimmed indet's in the same footprint this is taking up ...... and it''s triggering my OCD button about once/day.

Thank god I transplanted to a bowl .... dang thing would ruin my whole SFG-mojo

I completely understand! Before I discovered SFG I had already ordered my seeds for the year. I had settled on determinates so that I would have more of a harvest all at once for saucing. Then I picked up the book one day.......needless to say, I am NOT giving up that much space in my SFG! I have a few determinates sprouting indoors, but I went back to the inde's for most of my 'maters!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 3/29/2011, 10:10 pm

Another newbie here with some basic tomato questions. Shocked What does "determinate or indeterminate" refer to and how does it impact which tomato types to choose? Also, I picked up several packs of seeds hoping to get a variety of tomatoes good for salads, salsa, sauce and sandwiches. Would these work?

- Matt's Wild Cherry Tomato (open pollinated) - High Mowing Organic Seeds
- Yellow Pear Cherry Tomato (heirloom) - High Mowing Organic Seeds
- Cherokee Purple Tomato (heirloom) - High Mowing Organic Seeds
- San Marzano Paste Tomato (open pollinated) - High Mowing Organic Seeds
- Crimson Beefsteak Tomato - Grow Organic

Many thanks!
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/29/2011, 11:02 pm

I know the Matt's, Cherokee, and San Marzano are indetermintes, at least mine are.

Indeterminate's grow all season long and produce fruits over several weeks. They are vining and can grow very tall. Once they start producing, they'll produce all season long until frost. I remember this way: The word is longer, the vine is longer, it produces longer.

Determinate's are a bush tomato and don't vine tall like the others and their crop matures all about the same time so you can have a harvest of most of your tomatoes at once. Then they stop producing.

Actually, last year I did not remove my old Oregon Spring determinates when they were done and was surprised to find they started with new blossoms and new green fruits again at the end of the season. If I was living further south, (I'm in the wilds of Maine) I'd have had two different harvests, one in early summer and one in late fall.
How to do bush tomatoes SFG style 10-02-12
Here's a couple of Oregon Springs last Oct 2nd starting again with blossoms and fruits.

Grow your vining indeterminates staked, up a trellis, or onto a string upwards. They take less room in your raised beds.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 3/29/2011, 11:07 pm

Thanks Quiltbea! Easy to remember clue for which is which. I'll keep that in mind when figuring out what will actually make it into the ground. thanks Beautiful tomato plants by the way!
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down