Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Toplef10BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? I22gcj10BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Toplef10BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? I22gcj10BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug?

+8
herbarium
kingdaddy
Chopper
camprn
pattipan
Garden_State
Megan
auntij
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Empty BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug?

Post  auntij 6/18/2010, 9:46 pm

I found this little guy on my pole beans today and tried finding it online but had no luck. As some of you know I am waging war on bugs because they are waging war on my garden. I am on the verge of taking drastic steps but IF I may have finally found at least one of the culprits and it isn't the earwigs (which supposedly may be beneficial bugs even though I still can't stand them) I would love to know a none chemical route that won't annihilate every bug around (don't put it past me at this point in time though I am at my breaking point!!! BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Icon_twisted ). So any advice if greatly appreciated!!

these are all the same bug just different angles

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Bug_on10

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Bug_on11

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Bug_on12
auntij

Female Posts : 136

Back to top Go down

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Empty Re: BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug?

Post  Megan 6/18/2010, 9:52 pm

That looks pretty similar to the bug that was on my potatoes the other day. Is it a stink bug??? (?)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Empty Re: BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug?

Post  Garden_State 6/18/2010, 10:01 pm

Doesn't look like a stink bug. They look like a shield.

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Brown_10
Garden_State
Garden_State

Male Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij 6/18/2010, 10:02 pm

I don't know. All the pictures I have found of stink bugs show them more flat. I haven't found anything that looks like this. It is a pretty strong bug it hung on tight. There were a couple damaged leaves near where it was perched as well as throughout my beans (and many other veggies). I saw small ants crawling up the plants. Earwigs were on the ground nearby.
auntij

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 6/18/2010, 10:28 pm

It looks like some kind of weevil. Might be a Two Banded Japanese Weevil (Callirhopalus bifasciatus). They prefer Holly trees and Rhododendron. Do a Google image search and maybe you can find out more info.

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij 6/18/2010, 10:45 pm

Patti you are the winner of the gold star! I can't say that I am happy but I am glad to know what they are and now I just have to figure out how I can effectively deal with them.
auntij

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 6/18/2010, 11:09 pm

auntij wrote:Patti you are the winner of the gold star!

How about the gold bug award??

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? 17_112-vw-beetle

Or maybe this 14K beetle...

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Goldchrysina3

:-)

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/18/2010, 11:30 pm

I like the white walls!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij 6/18/2010, 11:56 pm

For saving part of my sanity you may have both!
auntij

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/18/2010, 11:58 pm

Looks like a tick to me.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kingdaddy 6/19/2010, 12:00 am

I have been doing alot of reading about using beneficals in the garden. I have already added about 2500 ladybugs and will release a second batch of the same size soon ( i do have some aphids and would like to limit them naturally). praying mantis are next on my list. you may do well to get some eggs and add some mantis to your garden becasue they should help cut down on the number of bugs that you are seeing.

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij 6/19/2010, 12:53 am

I'm going to take the risk of sounding like a total moron (especially since I buy crickets regularly) but where does one go to purchase ladybugs and mantis'? I don't know of a local Bugs R Us.
auntij

Back to top Go down

Post  herbarium 6/19/2010, 1:04 am

Spined soldier beetles are good guys
Stink bugs are bad guys
It is good to know the difference.
Also, most insects are either beneficial or neutral. Very few are bad guys.
Stink bug: http://www.organicgardeninfo.com/images/brown-stink-bug.jpg
Spined Soldier Beetle: http://insects.tamu.edu/images/insects/common/images/cd-45-a/Img0080.jpg
Notice the Spined Soldier Beetle has sharp shoulders
The stink bug does not.
herbarium

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 150

http://gardeninspire.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 6/19/2010, 2:30 am

Okay, I think I am beginning to see bugs everywhere now? They are following me around on my computer screen too!!

I think I knew what this bug is too, it's a boffer-beetle!

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Boffer10

I understand it's a very SFG friendly beetle. :-)

In it's adult?? phase it looks like this:

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Boffer10
Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Back to top Go down

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Empty looks like a pine weevil

Post  Mirjam 6/19/2010, 3:48 am

I don't think they'll harm the veggies, they lay their eggs in pine, and theri larvae eat the wood. Do u use pine barch as a mulch somewhere in your garden? They may be attracted to or coming from that.

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Xn_hyl10
Mirjam
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/19/2010, 11:05 am

GOT HIM!:
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 6/19/2010, 11:31 am

boffer wrote:
GOT HIM!:

BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? 641297

That fly swatter picture took some thought!

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij 6/19/2010, 11:38 am

It is definitely a two banded weevil I compared the 2 very closely. It will do harm if left to its own devices. It has done some harm already but not enough to wipe anything out. I am still pretty sure my main culprit is those darned earwigs. I don't care if they don't "normally eat much" they are eating TONS!! I live in the city dang it I shouldn't have this many bugs! I should have flies, ants and mosquitoes! But NOOOOOOOOOOO I have to have more nature than the back woods of Maine. I am waiting for a bear to camp out on my back steps asking for a hand out. BUG ID has this been a good bug or a bad bad bug? Icon_mad
auntij

Back to top Go down

Post  kingdaddy 6/19/2010, 9:05 pm

@ auntij - i got the lady bugs off of ebay - i found a great seller and would be glad to pm anyone his screen name if you are interested in buying some. i found many sellers of the praying mantis online. they mostly ship eggs, which hatch and can provide you with hundreds and hundreds of mantis. but i have not bought these yet - so i cannont speak to how successful this approach is. i can say that the lady bugs that i released did a WONDERFUL job eating the aphids. they did not completely eradicate them, but the numbers are down considerably. i expect that my second release will help even more.

i have not yet been able to find anyone selling brachnoid wasps that are natural predators of the tomato horn worm. even if i did find them i am not sure that i could bring my self to add wasps to my garden.

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/20/2010, 2:06 am

@ Kingdaddy: I have something I am pretty sure are wasps in my garden. They are teeny tiny golden things, not sure if "braconid", but beautiful. I am terrified of bees/wasps, but they have not bothered me at all.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 6/20/2010, 5:57 pm

I found another great bug identification site. This one is more agriculture specific. It has the bugs in a spreadsheet type table and you can click the header to sort as you like.

http://www.ipmimages.org/

Click on the Vegetables link for crop specific pests...or down the page a bit under Damage Types, click on a pest/insect category.

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Back to top Go down

Post  herbarium 6/21/2010, 8:51 am

Thanks for the IPM Images link!
herbarium

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 150

http://gardeninspire.com

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt 6/21/2010, 1:24 pm

If there are any brachonid wasps in your area, just plant some creeping thyme or mother-of-thyme and they will find it! They love the tiny flowers.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/21/2010, 6:44 pm

By that website's photos, whatever I've got is probably not braconid wasps. Wonder what they are... :?:
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 6/21/2010, 8:00 pm

Megan wrote: I have something I am pretty sure are wasps in my garden. They are teeny tiny golden things, not sure if "braconid", but beautiful. I am terrified of bees/wasps, but they have not bothered me at all.

I saw a tiny metallic looking bee/wasp on my squash leaves this morning. The dew was still on and it looked like the bee was just taking a drink. I thought maybe it was some sort of sweat bee???

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next