Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? Toplef10can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? I22gcj10can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? Toplef10can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? I22gcj10can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 12:18 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:13 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» Cabbage worms
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:34 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 5/11/2024, 5:24 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro?

+5
jkdistad
trukrebew
pattipan
Megan
staciz
9 posters

Go down

can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? Empty can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro?

Post  staciz 6/3/2010, 7:31 pm

I transplanted a cilantro seedling and it died. Well, it bolted and I cut it down and now it's dead. So, I bought some seeds to try that way. But, before I even sowed the seeds, I noticed two green shoots in that square (where the cilantro seedling had been). I yanked them both out thinking weeds.

Now, about 10 days after I sowed the seeds, I have a ton of these two green shoots in the same box. I would be inclined to think they are new cilantro growth, BUT, I saw 2 like this before I even sowed!!!

SO, I am not sure if I box overgrown with weeds or very successful new cilantro plants. can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? Icon_redface

(They look like 4 leaf clovers..I can take a picture later but just thought of the question now and running up to get my kids up from naps so can't now!)
staciz

Back to top Go down

can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? Empty Re: can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro?

Post  Megan 6/3/2010, 8:31 pm

I've got some. The short answer, though, is that once you get past the seed leaves, the true leaves look like... cilantro. Smile

These are direct-seeded cilantro... the bigger plants on the left of the square. The smaller stuff.... who knows, quite possibly weeds. Sorry about picture quality, I can try to get better ones tomorrow when the light is better, if you'd like.
can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? Photo-703354

This sprouted between my edging and the front walk. I was going to yank it until I saw the true leaves. I think it is another, much smaller cilantro plant. Guess some seed got caught on my clothing when I was planting the first square, and there it fell...
can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? Photo%202-704508

Last edited by Megan on 6/3/2010, 8:42 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : add photos)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? Empty Re: can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro?

Post  pattipan 6/3/2010, 8:58 pm

Maybe this link and image will help: http://www.northwest-gardening.com/herbs/cilantro.asp

can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? Growing-cilantro-1

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/3/2010, 9:13 pm

I have been playing the "ID the plant shoot" game all this spring, too. (And I think I ripped up all the bunching onions I planted from seed, thinking they were grass!) My suggestion is to let all your shoots grow until you start getting true leaves up. Then you will know which are the cilantro. You can always do some weeding later. :-)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  staciz 6/3/2010, 10:00 pm

oh no!!! the image on that link looks like something i pulled up last week! i took some pics once my kids woke up from their naps...importing them now, so will post soon.

thanks!!
staciz

Back to top Go down

Post  trukrebew 6/3/2010, 11:36 pm

I bought a 12" wide pot of cilantro on sale for a buck at my local grocer, so I can't help you with your question. But I will show you what I've done to (hopefully) avoid sprout misidentification.

can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? Cardbo10

I planted carrot seeds in the centers of these rings. They are just paper towel and TP tubes cut into 1/2" rings. (Sorry, but I took this picture at night and the cardboard rings were still moist, so they almost disappear. There are 8 of them on the right side of this square.) They help me remember where I planted and also where to water. Anything that comes up outside the circles is outta there! I figure they will also just turn to compost by season's end.

can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? Ring_a10

Here's 1 bean plant growing through a ring. It also helps to corral the water around the base, per Mel's instructions.

This might help you prevent plant ID issues in the future. Lord knows we all go through plenty of TP rolls. Now we can make them do double duty!

Sorry, I couldn't resist the potty humor! Razz

Last edited by trukrebew on 6/3/2010, 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Hard to see item in photo)
trukrebew
trukrebew

Male Posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Post  staciz 6/4/2010, 1:17 am

that's a GREAT idea trukrebew! thanks!!

here is my cilantro square. shows the pretty much dead transplant and the new growth in the box.
can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? IMG_4266

and here are the new shoots i am questioning
can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? IMG_4268

this one shows a different kind of shoot that looks more like that link shows. i guess i'm going to have to wait it out?
can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? IMG_4267
staciz

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad 6/4/2010, 2:38 am

Your middle pic is most definitely clover! Isn't "guess that sprout" the most maddening game ever? Well, maybe not quite as maddening as the game of "get off my succulent plant you thieving critter!".... can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? Icon_mad
jkdistad
jkdistad

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  silverbug 6/4/2010, 7:02 am

Yeah, I'm not sure if there are other sprouts in that square that we're supposed to look at, but the main bunch of sprouts I see is clover. That can definitely be yanked out. Wink
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 6/4/2010, 7:44 am

The second pic might be cilantro, at least it has a similar shape. Any time I have a possible weed in the herb garden, I let it go until it puts out true leaves, then gently cut the tip of one of the leaves and smell it. If it's an herb, it will smell like what it is.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  staciz 6/4/2010, 10:08 am

thanks everyone! i'll yank the clover out today. is it weird that this is the ONLY square they are in??
staciz

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 6/4/2010, 10:21 am

How deep is your box? It doesn't look full enough if it is a 6 or 8 inch tall box. Cilantro has a taproot like parsley or carrots. (is there a reason you do not want to direct sow?)

What do you have under the box (weed-block, paper, plywood, ??)

You do not say where you are gardening. Because I use cilantro in dishes that have heat (like chili) I assumed that this herb was a warm climate herb. I just recently read that it does better in early spring and fall. Where is your garden?
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  staciz 6/4/2010, 10:42 am

Lavender Debs wrote:How deep is your box? It doesn't look full enough if it is a 6 or 8 inch tall box. Cilantro has a taproot like parsley or carrots. (is there a reason you do not want to direct sow?)

What do you have under the box (weed-block, paper, plywood, ??)

You do not say where you are gardening. Because I use cilantro in dishes that have heat (like chili) I assumed that this herb was a warm climate herb. I just recently read that it does better in early spring and fall. Where is your garden?

My box is 12", but it's only filled up half way. What do you mean when you say "direct sow"? I put one transplant in, but it died. So, I sowed some seeds and that's what I'm looking for now. Is that something different than direct sow? (VERY new to this! can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? Icon_biggrin )

I don't have anything under the box....I didn't realize that I should until AFTER I had all of my MM in. I am located in Southern California.

I just went out and watered this morning and there are 2 new shoots that are DEFINITELY cilantro after seeing the link someone posted here last night! I pulled up the clover but it was deep- the roots were looong.
staciz

Back to top Go down

Post  staciz 6/4/2010, 10:43 am

oh, and we love cilantro in our salsa! can't wait until my jalepeno, tomatoes and onions are all ready so i can make it from scratch out of the garden!
staciz

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 6/4/2010, 10:58 am

Looks like you are doing very well for your first year!!

Direct sow is putting seeds into the garden instead of transplants.

For a 12 in box you probably have enough soil for cilantro. Maybe it is getting a little warm in s. cal for cilantro?? (really I have no idea from my chair in Northern Washington) The soil looks plenty damp for hot weather but your regional host will be a good resource for you.

DONT GIVE UP!!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/4/2010, 2:44 pm

So you got a helpful photo already, and you have your initial questions answered. But my self centered streak is going to post another photo of young cilantro! I saw your post last night, went out to my garden and got a great photo - late at night with no moonlight!

But then I couldn't get the little bugger to download onto my computer, so being more stubborn than logical, I am posting my photo anyway!

Thanks for indulging my childishness~ can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? 728280

PS - they are volunteer cilantro from last year, which is why they are misbehaving and hanging out in the radish square, making it look like I am not using grids and coloring outside the lines!

can anoyone post a pic of "new" cilantro? 02110
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  staciz 6/5/2010, 12:10 am

that's a great picture martha- and it IS still helpful, so thanks for posting!!
staciz

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/5/2010, 11:53 am

thank you!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down