Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from Central Oregon Toplef10Hi from Central Oregon 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from Central Oregon I22gcj10Hi from Central Oregon 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from Central Oregon Toplef10Hi from Central Oregon 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from Central Oregon I22gcj10Hi from Central Oregon 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from Central Oregon

4 posters

Go down

Hi from Central Oregon Empty Hi from Central Oregon

Post  Granny M 2/11/2024, 11:51 pm

I read a Square Foot gardening book back about 2010--loved it!  I started one raised bed on the south side of our house and have grown tons of tomatoes and green beans over the years--only adding compost each year.  I want to keep learning and branch out to a lot more vegetables.  We are putting in 360 cubic feet of raised beds and are a bit daunted at the cost of the growing mix so we may not plant them all at once.  I thought this would be a great place to get ideas!

The best place to purchase supplies and ideas about what grows well together and how to overcome obstacles--gophers, and cold nighttime temperatures come to mind (now that we've fenced out the deer)--often in the 40's even when daytime temps are in the upper 90s.

Great place to be to maximize our growing though!
Granny M
Granny M
Granny M

Back to top Go down

Hi from Central Oregon Empty Re: Hi from Central Oregon

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/12/2024, 3:52 pm

Welcome to the forum, Granny—you are biting off quite a bit, from one bed to like 22!  I agree, the cost of start-up might be prohibitive to get Mels’ Mix into all those squares.    It mightt be worth your time to read one of the newer SFG books by Mel.  I have the All New Square Foot Garden 2nd Edition.  Makes a lot of sense, and some improvements as well.  

Can’t wait to hear more about your journey!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/15/2024, 7:05 pm

Hi Granny,  Welcome to the Forum from Central California, Zone 9B.  Is this the book you have with a publishing date of 2006?  If so, it was the first major change to SFG using raised beds filled with Mel's Mix and topped with a grid.    Hi from Central Oregon Book_o10

Here are some updated pointers:
1. 6-7" of Mel's Mix is all that is needed, except for asparagus (usually in a dedicated bed), sweet potatoes (which can be grown in large storage totes or ranchers' empty mineral tubs) and late variety potatoes.  Except for these unusual crops, everything else does fine in 6-7".  Deeper is not better.  For long carrots or parsnips, a top hat over those squares provides the extra height of MM without having to waste money on deep MM for the whole bed.  The top hat(s) and extra MM can be moved from bed to bed.
2.  For tall beds (usually for looks or for physical limitations, the bottom can be filled with topsoil or washed sand, with the MM on top.
3. 2"x8" lumber works for the beds.  I know the book states 2"x6", but the finished dimensions are only 1 1/2" x 5 1/2".  This will be corrected in the 4th Edition coming out later this year if things go smoothly.
4.  For gophers, 1/2" hardware cloth secured to the bottom of the beds works.  Just laying the bed frame on the hardware cloth can allow burrowing critters to work their way in.
5. Peat moss.  It's easy to find compressed bales of peat moss.  Fluff it before measuring.  Then get it wet or make sure the Mel's Mix is thoroughly wet in smaller batches.  Peat moss is hydrophobic.
6.  Coarse vermiculite.  For most of use, we have to order 4 cubic foot bags of coarse vermiculite.  Uline, Greenhouse Megastore, A M Leonard, Farm Tek are some sites.  Sometimes they have sales or free shipping.  See the thread "Need Vermiculite???"
7.  Composts are the hardest to find for some regions.  Just make sure it is pure compost without fillers.  If you make your own, that's great.
8.  Manure-based composts.  Try to limit these to 20% of the total volume of compost to keep down the level pf phosphate.  ALL manures count as one source of compost - manure.
9.  Trellises and tall plants at the north end of the beds.  No beds wider than 4'.  Different sizes are fine, like 2'x8' or 3'x5'.  Maintain 3' aisles between the beds.  For long beds, orientate in a N-S direction.

If you have any questions in your journey, please ask.

Here are some photos of larger gardens. Notice most of the beds are made with 2"x8" lumber. The first hasn't installed the grids on all the beds. The second one shows installation of drip irrigation and a lazy dog, and the last is of deeper beds with either topsoil or clean sand as a lower fill (I failed to note which).

Hi from Central Oregon Garde129
Hi from Central Oregon Plot_p22
Hi from Central Oregon Garde130

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/18/2024, 5:50 pm

I'm a Certified Instructor in Bend, and I can give you some helpful hints, as well as compost resources.  

I'd suggest starting with just one or two SFG beds for now, to reduce labor, costs, and allow for learning time.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down