Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix Toplef10Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix I22gcj10Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix Toplef10Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix I22gcj10Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:07 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/18/2024, 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix

4 posters

Go down

Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix Empty Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix

Post  riled 1/24/2022, 9:21 am

Hi all, 

I'm 4 years into my small-time SFG - two 4x4 beds in my front yard in Zone 5 suburban Indiana, my only unshaded real estate. I have experienced decreasing yields over the last several years due to a number of causes and am hoping to set myself up for greater success this spring.  (I need to troubleshoot on several fronts, but this question is meant to focus on my Mel's mix.)

Is there any way to assess the current ratios in my mix? I have been adding a diverse mix of compost each year as prescribed, but my mix just doesn't look like it did originally. It is still loose and easy to plant in, etc. - it just looks like there is much less vermiculite, and it does seem to retain water less well.  I am also considering that I may have had an "oops" in 2020 where one of my composts may have contained a good deal of peat and I wasn't paying enough attention to how the supply chain was causing manufacturers to make "adjustments" to their products. I am not opposed to starting over entirely to make sure I get the mix right, and I am inclined to think it might also help with disease control.  I wanted to see what others think here - does anyone have experience with diagnosing MM ratios, restoring MM, or with getting a fresh start by replacing MM? Thanks in advance!
riled
riled

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix Empty Re: Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix

Post  OhioGardener 1/24/2022, 9:36 am

Welcome to the boards!  You probably don't need to overthink trying to analyze the ratio of mixes in your current soil blend, but you can easily "refresh" the mix. Vermiculite does break down in to a powder over the years, and becomes less effective.  I periodically add a layer of coarse vermiculite to top of a bed, and then work it into the top 3 or 4 inches with a hand cultivator. That greatly improves water retention.  You may also be interested in adding some worm castings to your beds to improve the nutrient and microbe levels.

Note: What part of Indiana are you in? I spent my youth near Valparaiso, many years ago.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4552

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Scorpio Rising and riled like this post

Back to top Go down

Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix Empty Re: Winter ponderings about my Mel's mix

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/24/2022, 10:05 am

Hi riled, welcome to the forum!  I agree with OG, you probably just need to amend with some straight up good quality compost and top off the beds with more vermiculite.  I have to do that every few years.  Plus the MM seems to shrink, I think from compaction as well as actual loss from harvesting.  

I have used chicken poo from TSC, worm castings, and will add blood and bone meal too depending.  And I do have a kitchen scrap compost bin to help!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

riled likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  riled 1/24/2022, 11:17 am

OhioGardener wrote:Welcome to the boards!  You probably don't need to overthink trying to analyze the ratio of mixes in your current soil blend, but you can easily "refresh" the mix. Vermiculite does break down in to a powder over the years, and becomes less effective.  I periodically add a layer of coarse vermiculite to top of a bed, and then work it into the top 3 or 4 inches with a hand cultivator. That greatly improves water retention.  You may also be interested in adding some worm castings to your beds to improve the nutrient and microbe levels.

Note: What part of Indiana are you in? I spent my youth near Valparaiso, many years ago.

Thanks! Will definitely add some coarse vermiculite this time - very helpful to have some confirmation that it does degrade and my eyes do not deceive me!  And yes, I am a huge fan of worm castings! Was thinking about scratching some into my house plant mixes too, once we get through the winter.... 

I'm in Tippecanoe County - I get up to Valpo/Hammond area occasionally...
riled
riled

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/24/2022, 11:36 am

riled wrote:I'm in Tippecanoe County - I get up to Valpo/Hammond area occasionally...

I am familiar with that area. There are relatives living near Battle Ground, and we occasionally get to visit there.  If you were closer to the Ohio border, you could get fresh worm castings from a local worm farm here - but, they don't ship. I've had great success with them.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4552

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

riled likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/24/2022, 1:45 pm

Hi Riled, Welcome to the Forum! glad you\'re here

So, your Mel's Mix is only 4 years old? thinking

If you started with medium Vermiculite, it may be broken down further and not be as visible. If you started with coarse Vermiculite, and mixed in the compost additions each season/year, you should still see it. If you started with medium, you can add 1/2" - 1" of coarse at this 4 year mark.

The accidental addition of compost with peat moss is not fatal, but you need to add straight compost from now on. Do screen bagged composts and any home compost using a frame with 1/4" hardware cloth to remove wood pieces.

How deep are the beds and how high is the Mel's Mix? If you are short on head room in the beds, you can remove some of the MM, like an inch, to make room for the coarse vermiculite and composts. If you have been mixing in the new composts each time you amend, then it doesn't matter if you remove just the surface MM.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21565

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Scorpio Rising and riled like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  riled 1/24/2022, 7:43 pm

sanderson wrote:Hi Riled, Welcome to the Forum! glad you\'re here

So, your Mel's Mix is only 4 years old? thinking

If you started with medium Vermiculite, it may be broken down further and not be as visible.  If you started with coarse Vermiculite, and mixed in the compost additions each season/year, you should still see it.  If you started with medium, you can add 1/2" - 1" of coarse at this 4 year mark.  

The accidental addition of compost with peat moss is not fatal, but you need to add straight compost from now on. Do screen bagged composts and any home compost using a frame with 1/4" hardware cloth to remove wood pieces.

How deep are the beds and how high is the Mel's Mix?  If you are short on head room in the beds, you can remove some of the MM, like an inch, to make room for the coarse vermiculite and composts.  If you have been mixing in the new composts each time you amend, then it doesn't matter if you remove just the surface MM.

Thanks! Yes I think I did start with medium from my big box store, as I had trouble sourcing coarse... should be solvable now that I am connected here, as well as knowing my local area better too!  Smile 

I have 6" deep beds, and I filled it right up to the top - so 6" of Mel's Mix (replacing with compost each year till full & mixing in).  It seems to deplete maybe an inch or two over the course of the season. I'm snow covered right now, otherwise I'd check, but I imagine I'll have enough room or can make room as you say... and I think I've got some good kitchen scrap compost ready for the thaw!
riled
riled

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/25/2022, 12:52 pm

Riled, Another option is to add another short board to make the bed taller to accommodate additional coarse vermiculite, compost plus straw mulch.

What material did you use to make the 6" bed? I ask because a 6" wide board is actually 5 1/2" which means the MM will only be 5 1/2" high. We often recommend using an 8" board with a finished height of 7 1/2". Plenty of room for MM plus mulch.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21565

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

riled likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down