Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. Toplef10After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. I22gcj10After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. Toplef10After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. I22gcj10After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way.

+11
countrynaturals
GardenFairy
Triciasgarden
has55
llama momma
Kelejan
sanderson
AtlantaMarie
yolos
OhioGardener
jimmy cee
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. Empty After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way.

Post  jimmy cee 3/23/2021, 10:14 am

Hello everyone, its been a lonely 4 years with a few serious pitfalls along the way. My previous gardens had to be destroyed, removed in order to sell my home after my wife died. It was very traumatic, however I did as the realtor suggested. It sold within weeks after, however the folks who bought it, wished I hadn't removed it..
I am now starting a bed of herbs, a watering trough is going to be my bed.
It is 6' X 2' with rounded edges. I can get 8 full squares with 4 corner squares a bit less than 1 foot square.
I will again be testing my compost to its highest potential, since I will be using vermicompost ( worm droppings ) .
My worm farm is now setup with redworms on their way.
My legs are not what they were when I was 30 anymore so my son and I put together a stand that brings working area to my standing position.
Photos will be plenty. more than previous years, my i phone takes beautiful photo's and I love sharing them..
I do hope I am able to fall back a little bit to where I was here 4 years ago...God bless
I am working on a nice looking grid system. I like my garden to look nice, a clean looking grid work makes everything shine..( as always my opinion of course )

After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. Herb_b10
After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. Herb_b11
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

ispinwool, Mary Lee, Pninush, Sarah056, Norris50, reeskls561, Leslie559 and like this post

Back to top Go down

After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. Empty Re: After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way.

Post  OhioGardener 3/23/2021, 11:49 am

Great to see you back, Jimmy!  And, even greater seeing you back in your gardens.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

donnainzone5 likes this post

Back to top Go down

After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. Empty Re: After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way.

Post  yolos 3/23/2021, 1:15 pm

Welcome back Jimmy Cee
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/23/2021, 11:02 pm

Thanks Yolos and Ohio Gardner.
It really not much of a garden, more like an enlarged pot. however I am treating it just like I did in my prior garden. As mentioned my compost will be quite different. I still have my envirocycle tumbler and starting worm farming. 200 red wigglers should be here tomorrow, I have enough food to fill their hungry bellies.
I think I will be looking for some herbs this week. Its a different world to me than years ago.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/24/2021, 8:38 am

Jimmy Cee!  Welcome Home!!!   Laughing  It's SO good to see you.  And to see you back gardening....  {{{HUGS}}}
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/24/2021, 9:28 am

Jimmy, My Home Depot carried those watering troughs this spring. When I saw them, I thought of you. Welcome back.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/26/2021, 10:34 pm

Atlanta Marie...Thank you its great to be back and feeling like going forward again even though it is on a much smaller scale. I really missed my spot here and never realised it..
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/26/2021, 10:43 pm

Hi Sanderson, great to be with you again. I hope to see more of your lovely phot'o's. I made my watering trough official yesterday... I might change though. I used PVC instead of my favorite clothes line. My main objective now is to get some herbs going,,,,After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. Grids10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Mary Lee and Leslie559 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/27/2021, 11:16 am

Welcome back, Jimmy Cee, I have missed you over the years and hoped you were still around.

Re-starting you SFG will really be good for you.  I hope to be re-starting later this year when I re-locate to be in England and I really will be starting from scratch again.
My first intent is to get a worm bin going and bugging my family for all their stuff for composting. Raised SFG beds, none of those on the ground stuff.

I look forward to seeing your new set-up and how you progress.

How does you new garden compare to your previous one?  Of course we are all older now and may not be able to do as much but as we know with SFG it is so much easier the the traditional gardens.

Best wishes from Kelejan
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/28/2021, 7:29 am

Hi Jimmy !  LlammaMomma here, and I want to say Hello and best wishes for your brand new bed !!   I love the stand and want to modify it a bit for my own needs as my joints continue to make things harder. I have never seen those round cement pieces your son used. But I'm going to start looking for those at Home Depot. 
Again welcome and best wishes. After the sorrowful events I hope this will be a uplifting and enjoyable activity for you. Enjoy.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

donnainzone5, Mary Lee and sanderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/29/2021, 12:33 am

I think the round cement supports are "footings" for construction.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

llama momma likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/29/2021, 7:52 pm

Jimmy Cee, the man is back!!!!! I'm so happy to hear from you. love the set up. Looks great. Ah, the love affair of a iPhone and taking/shooting pictures. It can be addicting. 
Shoot on Jimmy Cee, shoot on.
has55
has55

donnainzone5 and sanderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 4/1/2021, 5:24 pm

Jimmy, so sorry for your loss and upheaval of your life!  I just got back on here today and it feels like home.  What a great idea to raise that planter!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenFairy 4/1/2021, 6:55 pm

Welcome back to the garden! I am just starting my beds in the backyard and I set up a worm farm two weeks ago. I'll be interested to see what happens with you and yours and if you have any ideas to share as you go because I'm fairly new to SFG - started last year - and completely new to having worms for pets.
GardenFairy
GardenFairy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/2/2021, 2:44 am

GardenFairy wrote:Welcome back to the garden! I am just starting my beds in the backyard and I set up a worm farm two weeks ago. I'll be interested to see what happens with you and yours and if you have any ideas to share as you go because I'm fairly new to SFG - started last year - and completely new to having worms for pets.

Welcome Garden Fairy.  I am interested in how your worm farm grows.  I have one worm bin at the moment only because I will be leaving Canada to return to England 
later this year and I will be starting completely new and one of the first things I will be doing is setting up a new  wormery and building compost heaps.

All my worms have names.  I treat them all alike and each worm is named Fred. I have written in the past that all my goldfish were named George and all my  boyfriends were named Darling including my dearest late husband. Smile
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/2/2021, 11:11 am

jimmy cee wrote:Atlanta Marie...Thank you its great to be back and feeling like going forward again even though it is on a much smaller scale. I really missed my spot here and never realised it..
Exactly the way I'm feeling rght now, too. Welcome back, Jimmy.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/2/2021, 11:20 am

jimmy cee wrote:Atlanta Marie...Thank you its great to be back and feeling like going forward again even though it is on a much smaller scale. I really missed my spot here and never realised it..
Same here. Welcome back, Jimmy.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/2/2021, 11:50 am

Welcome back Jimmy. Great to hear from you. You always made an excellent contribution to the forum so I'll be looking forward to seeing more from you. BTW I love that raised trough system. 

I've had some serious health problems (prostate cancee and kidney cancer) during your absence.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/3/2021, 10:58 pm

Hello TD thanks for your welcome back and sure sorry to hear of your health problems. It happens because we are just living to long. I'll stop right there on that comment....LOL
That watering trough is 6 foot long x 2 feet wide by 18 inches deep. 8 perfect squares with 4 minor squares... with great compost one would be able to use those 4 as regular squares using them for only one plant.
I tested it out last 2 years and it really worked nicely, however I was not able to take the care that I wanted so I let it go to pot.
Now, its just outside my kitchen door, so I am renewed and back in the saddle in a small way. it really is a solid piece and suns rays in middle of summer does not affect internal temps...The mix inside keeps it cool. only the edges become very hot. I am doing to full 18 inches of Mel's mix. I dont believe in wasting good space with fillers that do no good for plant growth.
As I stated my compost will now be worm castings with a farm that is sitting in my bathroom and will stay there all year.
1,000 worms went in last week and they are doing great now.
I just  wish I was able to get back to growing from seed, that was coming along so nicely using my compost..
Stay well TD , have a wonderful Easter.......After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. Yogurt10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/4/2021, 9:02 am

Jimmy Cee, that first paragraph, glad you stopped and I intend living a few more years enjoying SFG even though I may have to downsize.  This is  where SFG can cater for anyone, young or old, fit or infirm, there is always something that can be done and enjoyed.

Best wishes to you for Easter.  Regards from Kelejan. I love you
Kelejan
Kelejan

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/4/2021, 11:40 am

Hi Kelejan and Happy Easter.
Yes, you are  correct  in commenting there is something for everyone regardless of age or abilities.
However, I will state composting is not a very easy process. at least not the way I went about it years ago.
Now it is quite different setting up for using worm castings. my worm farm is sitting in my bathroom on the floor out of the way...That hopefully will supply all compost I need with the small containers I am using.
Strange as it may seem I still have that zeal that I had when my larger gardens were is service.

Having everything handy seems to be the one thing that is so important, especially to us older folks not being able to move around as we once did.
I've accumulated a bunch of house plants also, that will be interesting as I have never done anything with them before.
So yes, Kelejan, where there's a will there is a way...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Kelejan and sanderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/4/2021, 1:09 pm

Jimmy,  I love having my garden right out the back door.  Of course, the whole backyard is only 60' x maybe 20'.  Razz 

I love seeing folks coming out of "hibernation" and joining in again.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

donnainzone5 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/4/2021, 6:25 pm

Two years ago I was asked by a local senior center to give a presentation on SFG. I was happy then to oblige and it went over very nicely. I had enough material including three glass canisters filled with three components of M M.
Now, after groups meeting online, one thing led to the other and I have another invite to another center. 
Will happen after things get back to normal.
Maybe I’m finally beginning to freshen up life again, sure feels good to have all that gumption even though my get up and go level is low.. 
at least I kept all my books..
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

donnainzone5 and sanderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/6/2021, 11:53 am

Jimmy, What ever SFG knowledge you can share with the community is a positive. Last summer was a pure rush with new gardeners wanting food security (that and TP!). Didn't you have a photo album you took with you?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/6/2021, 7:55 pm

Hey Jimmy!  So glad to see you back with us!  I can’t wait to hear your story and tales of your new adventures!  Missed you! After 4 years I am getting back in the game on a tiny way. 3085260134
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next